Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends when all this ends. The Euro's are already getting swerved to 2021 now.

In a normal league season, the players would return to playing in August for the new season.

What would be so terrible if the new season began in October or November instead to allow for all the rest, break and training they need?
When other European leagues choose to void and start again in August how does this work?

We can't be out of sync when euro qualifiers and early rounds take place as if we haven't identified the participants from England due to playing through to Aug/Sep/Oct how is that managed?

It can't realistically work unless all euro leagues do the same. Alternately all choose to press reset and start again (already appears to be the direction of travel in some countries). It's one thing for the FA to desperately want the outcome you seem so keen on, but even the money men at Sky can't influence all the other euro leagues to get this.

Depends when all this ends. The Euro's are already getting swerved to 2021 now.

In a normal league season, the players would return to playing in August for the new season.

What would be so terrible if the new season began in October or November instead to allow for all the rest, break and training they need?

Why does it grate on you
We end it now and do a new one? Why? Are you a Italian mob boss with money riding? Why?

Are all European major leagues postponed at present? Yes.

Therefore it won't present a problem whatsoever. They will all agree to resume play roughly around the same time, in line with guidance from their own FA's and UEFA.

Short term contracts and scheduling appears to be everyone's main issue and it's the most simple thing in the world to overcome, especially given that it was being adjusted for the World Cup anyway.

Just be clear and say you want it voided for bants. It's fine, everyone gets it.

Erm all current leagues are suspended but it’s up to all leagues individually to agree if they resume/void theirs. What if Spain, France, Germany and Italy say they’ll void and start in August whereas PL resumes then. How do CL qualifiers work? Do contracts need redrafting to run a different 12 month period?

I haven’t got an agenda nor care for “bants” I’m just being logical. There’s no compelling argument you’ve given me for finishing this season and messing everything else up that’s more convincing than just voiding it if we can’t resume in April.

You can’t possible allow a team that hasn’t mathematically won a league to then win the league. Same way we likely wouldn’t relegate any teams because none are mathematically doomed.

Agreed, you could even take the word mathematically out of there and your point still holds up.

Probably not Mac, no, but I can see a situation where the Prem tell teams that they're going to give them the title in order to figure out one problem unless there are objections

No one will object on the basis that they are 543 points clear

If there’s still a chance, as slim as it is, that someone else still could win the league they shouldn’t just be given it de facto.

When other European leagues choose to void and start again in August how does this work?

We can't be out of sync when euro qualifiers and early rounds take place as if we haven't identified the participants from England due to playing through to Aug/Sep/Oct how is that managed?

It can't realistically work unless all euro leagues do the same. Alternately all choose to press reset and start again (already appears to be the direction of travel in some countries). It's one thing for the FA to desperately want the outcome you seem so keen on, but even the money men at Sky can't influence all the other euro leagues to get this.

This is a fair and interesting point. It may not be the case though as plenty of leagues across Europe start and finish at different times, so this would just be a further adaptation of that. IIRC, Russia and Norway have league seasons that don't run Aug-May.

But, let's assume you're right, if it's a case of "all league's cancel and restart as normal' or none of them do, I think you'd find most leagues lean toward the latter.

Communication on this will be ongoing right now at senior levels, probably guided by UEFA too.

Ah.... one of the great existential questions.

They aren't, in truth. It's a game. I just like people to be clear about their agendas.
'I just like people to be clear about their agendas'. Good idea, as long as it doesn't apply to you, eh?

This is a fair and interesting point. It may not be the case though as plenty of leagues across Europe start and finish at different times, so this would just be a further adaptation of that. IIRC, Russia and Norway have league seasons that don't run Aug-May.

But, let's assume you're right, if it's a case of "all league's cancel and restart as normal' or none of them do, I think you'd find most leagues lean toward the latter.

Communication on this will be ongoing right now at senior levels, probably guided by UEFA too.

But Russian and Norwegian leagues are hardly impactful on UEFA competitions.

The telegraph article (not sure if someone has posted it) simply demonstrates how afraid the premier league are of facing lawsuits if the season isn’t completed. The article states that the options the league is considering are:

. Awarding Liverpool the title
. No team will be relegated
. Leeds and West Brom are promoted, creating a 22 team league- 5 teams would go down in the subsequent season.
. The current top 4 and last seasons top 4 would all enter the Champions League- talk of the competition having an expanded qualifying scenario to mitigate this.

Now the article is obviously a lot of speculation and theorising at this point but it smacks of keeping everybody happy.

Your clinging on here aren’t you?

Clutching. This is simply not true.

For starters, how many players who's contract expires in June are playing regularly this season? My guess is not many.

Secondly, due to unforeseen, sensitive, extenuating circumstances, how many of those players would be unwilling to temporarily extend their playing contract to allow the end of the current season to finish? Transfer windows would probably shift to re-align with the new season start date anyway, so there would be no benefit in them leaving their clubs early.

It wouldn't be problematic whatsoever to extend a few contracts by 3 or 4 months for the very few players that applies to.
Not just contracts being up.

What about loan players in the lower leagues. These guys play every week.
They will all go back to their clubs in June.

Not just about the PL this.

Why does it grate on you
We end it now and do a new one? Why? Are you a Italian mob boss with money riding? Why?

It doesn't grate on me. I'm just asking you to be up front about you're reasoning, you want the league to be voided and it's motivated by your desire to punish Liverpool. That's absolutely fine, mate. I have no problem with that.

I've never once said I have an issue with anyone supporting that outcome, I'm just saying I don't think it's a particularly likely one.

It hasn't been cancelled. It's been postponed. And that's the point.

Seems only one of us has misunderstood here, Kever.

Not at all. It's been postponed until April for now. We don't know how long the postponement will last. If it goes further, as is projected, then the logistics of finishing the season will have a massive impact on the next season as pointed out previously. The logistics, including travel and policing of potentially 91 rearranged games in the Premier League alone is mental, and players have rights as well to have summer breaks/pre season etc.

Could get very, very messy, and that isn't even factoring in the remaining cup fixtures as I've already pointed out. If you finish the league campaign, it would be unfair on any team remaining in a competition to have that cancelled, and for what? Because poor Liverpool have had a suspiciously strong year?

Status
Not open for further replies.