Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a classy response to the postponements! :) OI KLOPP!!!

casblsQ.png

I read somewhere that in the SPL, there is a clause in the competition, that if 20 games or more are completed by a certain date, then the league position at that point will stand. Something to do with weather affecting games. EPL don't have anything of the sort, so in order for any champions to be declared there, they just need to get to the 20th game. Here, no champions can be elected until all games have been completed.

What a classy response to the postponements! :) OI KLOPP!!!

casblsQ.png

Perhaps he can get to play der rs in a one off cup for Biggest Ar4eholes in British Football? (Cue United and Rangers demanding that they be recognised as bigger cockwombles)

I read somewhere that in the SPL, there is a clause in the competition, that if 20 games or more are completed by a certain date, then the league position at that point will stand. Something to do with weather affecting games. EPL don't have anything of the sort, so in order for any champions to be declared there, they just need to get to the 20th game. Here, no champions can be elected until all games have been completed.
giphy.gif

The PL struggles to reschedule one game these days if it’s called off for snow in winter and often ends up putting it in at the end of the season. There’s just no way they can start juggling the calendars of 3 seasons of football in line with UEFA doing the same thing across 100s of leagues. Like any planning exercise you need certainty and the longer this goes on the more this will turn towards making a concrete proposal for playing games next season that all stakeholders can get behind. Wouldn’t surprise me if plans were being drawn up for the 38 games of next season to be played from September or October onwards with no winter break and perhaps the league cup cancelled and no FA cup replays. I just can’t see how they fit in another third of a season of fixtures when they have no current date for when the crisis will be over.

I agree with all of this.

In situations like this things will start to turn very nasty. Issues far beyond whether teams start being awarded places (which is very easy to resolve with a no) will start to become apparent. Different organisations are going to start leveraging on one another. You better believe UEFA are considering how to undermine the PL as much as possible. It's inconceivable that they stand aside their tournament for the PL's sake.

This is the best case scenario too. The one we actually get to a point over the next month we can re-schedule. There will not be a single joined up approach, but rather bickering factions trying to get whats best for them.

I estimate that 45 days is around the minimum that would be needed to complete the season. So essentially we would have to be ready to restart in May. Thats with quite a smooth transition. I just can't see it. Not when all estimates say this gets worse all the way up until the summer.

They've shot themselves in the foot massively. Had they had pre-emptively cancelled it, on their terms they could have had a staged return. Now though, people will say to restart we need substantially less than what is it, a few hundred cases. It just won't happen.

A thought for all the other businesses affected by the problem .Many cafes ,restaurants and the like will go bust .Many other shops of course will be similarly affected ,here in Finland they are expecting major problems with small businesses going bust . There are lots of spin offs to this lot ,we have a young Italian girl that has just opened a shop and coffee bar and now she will be really hard done to ,me as a pensioner living in the forest hopefully will sit it out with no problems but sad to see the effects all around .

I just don’t see how they cant cancel it, not at this stage.
If the 10-14 weeks is the peak, it means we’re not finishing a season til September time, what? We play a shortened 19 game season next season Jan-May?

How do players sign? Its not feasible. Teams can’t run on 23 game seasons in the Lower Leagues. They’d lose too much.

What a dreadful situation were in.

"Never going to happen, in my opinion"

Would that have sufficed?

You'd think those last 3 words weren't necessary on a forum. By virtue of me making the post, I'd say it's pretty safe for you to assume it's a view I hold.

Perhaps we should all consider applying similar caveats to our posts in future, wouldn't want to upset any sensitive souls.

Yes Kieran the line you used on me the other day, "in your opinion", remember, that must also apply to you old friend. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.