2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-loaded question, just genuinely wondering, what makes you say that?

Whenever I look at Davies he just looks decent to me, I've never (even when he first came through) really thought he looked like an outstanding talent, I always think he's just neat and tidy and capable. I think he can have a good career and wouldn't be surprised if he got capped and captained us, but I've not really seen anything to suggest he's going to be a top player to be honest. He reminds me of a Noble, Cork, Ward-Prowse, Will Hughes type.

Good at everything, not great at anything.

Full tilt, an exceptional player, he needs to get to full tilt consistently.

Reminds me of an old school no 8, like Brian Robson before he was badly affected and limited by injury.

Non-loaded question, just genuinely wondering, what makes you say that?

Whenever I look at Davies he just looks decent to me, I've never (even when he first came through) really thought he looked like an outstanding talent, I always think he's just neat and tidy and capable. I think he can have a good career and wouldn't be surprised if he got capped and captained us, but I've not really seen anything to suggest he's going to be a top player to be honest. He reminds me of a Noble, Cork, Ward-Prowse, Will Hughes type.
How good does he really need to be to get in the England set up though? If he carries on playing like he is now he could force his way in. He's better than Declan Rice and has a higher ceiling than Henderson.

How good does he really need to be to get in the England set up though? If he carries on playing like he is now he could force his way in. He's better than Declan Rice and has a higher ceiling than Henderson.
Well yeah, I said I can imagine him being capped, but not really being a 'top' midfielder, there's a big difference.

I know it's cool to make out like Henderson is rubbish but the lad has got 50 odd England caps, played in a couple of CL finals and is a key player for a team that has only lost 1 league game in about 18 months. Tom has come into a very poor side and looked reasonably competent in 3 games. Forgive me if I find it difficult to agree that Davies is the more talented player just yet.

It'll be quicker for Davies to be back in the bin again in about three games time.

I was here for the first 100 pages of the Snivelley thread when some incredible stuff was posted, so I've seen it all before. At the top of the arc, @catcherintherye will write an article extolling St Thomas and it'll be all downhill from there.

I know you're watching eagerly waiting to bring up a comparison I made in my Allardyce revisited period, so I'm taking a cautious approach on this one mate!

Well yeah, I said I can imagine him being capped, but not really being a 'top' midfielder, there's a big difference.

I know it's cool to make out like Henderson is rubbish but the lad has got 50 odd England caps, played in a couple of CL finals and is a key player for a team that has only lost 1 league game in about 18 months. Tom has come into a very poor side and looked reasonably competent in 3 games. Forgive me if I find it difficult to agree that Davies is the more talented player just yet.

To me Henderson is a bit of the opposite of Davies currently. He reminds me of a lot of the players we had under Moyes. Quite limited but played in a system that allowed them to maximise their abilities (and also being good enough characters to do so).

Henderson isn't atop midfielder but mentally he is very strong, he knows his game and he delivers to a similar level most weeks.

Davies may well have similar levels of natural ability to a Henderson, but has been very inconsistent to date. As I said the other day the move he did against Southampton where he went past two, played a one two took the ball in his stride and nearly slid Richarlinson through was a very good bit of player. Not many have the ability to pull off the compartments of that. Davies needs to be doing that more consistently he if wants to kick on.

Yeah that's pretty much how I see it.

He's not good at everything though, is he?

He can't cross, and he can't shoot, and he's not much of a tackler. And that's before you get onto more complicated things like being able to dictate the pace of the game.

He's "good" as in, good enough to be a pro footballer.

I await the article with bated breath.

I'm not sure there's any need for an article. He's done ok since coming back in (I actually thought he was a bit sloppy against Southampton and better in other games) but look we need to see some consistency over a prolonged period now. Thats the challenge for Tom. If we get to the end of the season and he has performed to a consistent level, maybe got 5 goals and 5 assists we can then have a bit of a different discussion.

As with most of the team now though, I want to see some performances on the pitch.

I'm not sure there's any need for an article. He's done ok since coming back in (I actually thought he was a bit sloppy against Southampton and better in other games) but look we need to see some consistency over a prolonged period now. Thats the challenge for Tom. If we get to the end of the season and he has performed to a consistent level, maybe got 5 goals and 5 assists we can then have a bit of a different discussion.

As with most of the team now though, I want to see some performances on the pitch.

Absolutely.

We've heard today that he's "emerged as a leader in the dressing room". Has anyone seen this on the pitch? No, they haven't. It's pure myth stuff. It's Fabian Delph mk 2.

I find the desperate need to overhype this lad so weird.

Osman (who I had no love for at all) was treated mercilessly and was twice the player.

He's not good at everything though, is he?

He can't cross, and he can't shoot, and he's not much of a tackler. And that's before you get onto more complicated things like being able to dictate the pace of the game.

He's "good" as in, good enough to be a pro footballer.
Yeah I suppose it depends how you define 'good'. I meant in the sense that he's generally decent at most aspects of the game, he can tackle, he can pass, his touch is alright, he covers ground, his movement is decent etc. He's theoretically good, if you like. He just isn't particularly good at any of those things. There are quite a few like him in the squad, Schneiderlin, Tosun, DCL, Keane etc. They aren't out of their depth in the PL or anything, but the best they can do is hold their own, they rarely, if ever, have games where they're the difference between the teams.

Absolutely.

We've heard today that he's "emerged as a leader in the dressing room". Has anyone seen this on the pitch? No, they haven't. It's pure myth stuff. It's Fabian Delph mk 2.

I find the desperate need to overhype this lad so weird.

Osman (who I had no love for at all) was treated mercilessly and was twice the player.

Yes I mean part of the problem is we live in quite an instantaneous world, where snap judgements are made in every direction. 1 win feels like we are top of the world and 1 defeat feels like we are imminently going down. It spills down to the players too. I'm as guilty as anyone for this culture too.

It's been a really frustrating three and a half years as we all expected better. There is an element of us clinging to any positives. You are right to say that some degree of perspective is needed. Forget Osman, there's not much love for Moyes's teams full stop, but very few of our current crop would get into the teams he selected. They were consistent teams. At times consistently average but that is still a fair bit more than a lot of the team.

As for Davies we need to see performances over a longer period. Oddly I didn't think he was so great on Saturday, for me he was a bit sloppy in possession. He took his goal well but I'd be looking for a bit more. In other games he has performed better for me, but this needs to be shown over a much longer period.

He's doing what he needs to do. Glad he's stepping up now. Maybe Holgate, Davies, Kenny and DCL can forge careers here after all, amazing. Thought they were done for after their 19th birthday and not winning the ballon d'or.

Sarcasm aside. Hope he continues his current good form.

Status
Not open for further replies.