How much more time should Silva be given?

How long should he be given?

• Press conference today at 2pm

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Monday 9am

Votes: 110 56.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will rock up and beat Sheff United and it will make all this even more frustrating like you know he’s going to win enough matches at home to never lose his job yet not win enough away to ever challenge the top 6.

He will get the full season won’t he.

You just end up feeling meh about the whole thing don’t you?
If we don’t beat Sheffield Utd at home he would be on notice
We did exceptionally well to be fair.

And we aren't out of any cups and we are midtable in the league, not down the bottom. We are 3/4 points behind what we would have really hoped for but this season isn't dead by any means.
but the signs look ominous, especially in defense!

At the back end of last season when we went on a decent run, people had their heads turned thinking that we had turned a corner. At that point of the season there was nothing to play for. I said at the time, too little too late.
5 games in to the new campaign we have been less than convincing against sides that we should be beating with ease. Our performance at Palace wasn't exactly brilliant, Watford at home we were lucky to get all three points. Villa away was shocking, and Wolves at home for me wasn't convincing especially in the way that we conceded goals. Bournemouth yesterday was no exception. Another farce of a performance on live TV. Silva for me has done nothing in his time there to convince me that he is worthy of his role. He was never my choice in the first place and whether you agree with me or not, I would take Moyes back tomorrow. He knew the club inside out, and had the club run well. I would have loved to have seen Moyes have the financial backing Silva has had.
Moyes was limited into his signings, and to be fair, he made more good signings than bad.
Silva is not the man to bring silverware to Goodison.

We really do like a knee jerk reaction don’t we. If some on here were Man City fans they would probably. be calling for Pep to be sacked after City got beat by Norwich!

If he hadn't won anything with them, and didn't have a history of success before joining them, then there probably would be knives out for him !

Therein lies part of the problem for us when we appoint a manager, we don't quite have the pull as a club to attract a really top name, so we end up employing people who we hope can take the next step in management, and grow with us. So, barring gravy chops, we've recently had Martinez, Koeman and Silva in charge.

All of them had some attributes which made most people see something positive about them, but a significant minority found something not to like about them from day one.

Silva's blown hot and cold while he's been here. At the moment ( two wins out of five and mid table ) he's blowing lightly chilled, but, if we win the next couple of games, he'll be blowing slightly warmed.

In some ways, the question shouldn't be "how much longer should he get", but "Who, realistically, could we appoint who would be more likely to do a significantly better job over the next couple of years".

There's not an obvious answer to that, which is why, certainly for the moment, I think we should stick with Silva. If come January, we address the obvious issue at centre back, and he still doesn't sort out our defensive issues, then I think he'll be gone at the end of the season

But, at the moment, he was let down by our lack of recruitement in that area this summer, so currently gets a pass from me.

Imagine this duffer under Moores - he would have been peddled after the Millwall debacle never mind get to this point.

Getting beat 3-1 by Bournemouth man - unacceptable.

What I would give for solid leadership and a desire to succeed.

At the back end of last season when we went on a decent run, people had their heads turned thinking that we had turned a corner. At that point of the season there was nothing to play for. I said at the time, too little too late.
5 games in to the new campaign we have been less than convincing against sides that we should be beating with ease. Our performance at Palace wasn't exactly brilliant, Watford at home we were lucky to get all three points. Villa away was shocking, and Wolves at home for me wasn't convincing especially in the way that we conceded goals. Bournemouth yesterday was no exception. Another farce of a performance on live TV. Silva for me has done nothing in his time there to convince me that he is worthy of his role. He was never my choice in the first place and whether you agree with me or not, I would take Moyes back tomorrow. He knew the club inside out, and had the club run well. I would have loved to have seen Moyes have the financial backing Silva has had.
Moyes was limited into his signings, and to be fair, he made more good signings than bad.
Silva is not the man to bring silverware to Goodison.
Not the Moyes thing again. No. Just no. Another dinosaur who has had his time. They reckon football coaches have about 10-15 years at the top before their ideas become outdated and stale (very few managers escape this truism and really only the very best). Moyes has had his time and it resulted in one FA cup runner's up medal and a community shield victory for Utd.

We are small time enough, don't bring back dithering Davey.

The stat going round about how we have never come back from a goal down to win in over a season is frightening. 14 defeats out of 17. However, when you concede a goal as a player and look at the bench and all you see is your boss sulking at his shoes then you can understand why. I get that there are all types of examples of different demeanours on the side lines that have been successful but his frustrates me so much. He should be up, rallying, instructing, but he just sits there.....

If he hadn't won anything with them, and didn't have a history of success before joining them, then there probably would be knives out for him !

Therein lies part of the problem for us when we appoint a manager, we don't quite have the pull as a club to attract a really top name, so we end up employing people who we hope can take the next step in management, and grow with us. So, barring gravy chops, we've recently had Martinez, Koeman and Silva in charge.

All of them had some attributes which made most people see something positive about them, but a significant minority found something not to like about them from day one.

Silva's blown hot and cold while he's been here. At the moment ( two wins out of five and mid table ) he's blowing lightly chilled, but, if we win the next couple of games, he'll be blowing slightly warmed.

In some ways, the question shouldn't be "how much longer should he get", but "Who, realistically, could we appoint who would be more likely to do a significantly better job over the next couple of years".

There's not an obvious answer to that, which is why, certainly for the moment, I think we should stick with Silva. If come January, we address the obvious issue at centre back, and he still doesn't sort out our defensive issues, then I think he'll be gone at the end of the season

But, at the moment, he was let down by our lack of recruitement in that area this summer, so currently gets a pass from me.
A sensible summary!

Very good post, agree with every word.

If we don't win one of the next 3 away games he has to go

This feels rather drastic and arbitrary.

Can you explain you reasoning for the next away games?

What happens if we draw all 3 but win the next 3 home games? Is 12 points from 6 games a sackable offence? Or 19 from the 1st 11 games?

Some people have lost their heads massively. Expectations are not aligned with where we are at.

It’s 1 season and 5 league games into a rebuild of the playing squad and transfer philosophy. You can’t expect instant results. +60 points should be the aim. Giving young players a chance should be the aim. Building towards Top 6 or Top 4 challenges should be the aim.

Thinking we can be a 70 point team this season is completely unrealistic after the complete mismanagement of the club and its funds over the previous seasons before Brands/Silva.

This isn’t about accepting mediocrity. It’s about accepting that it’s a long road ahead and that we’ll need patience. The club have bet long term on Silva and Brands. Better if certain fans realise this and focus energy on supporting the club rather than trying g to create divisions

This feels rather drastic and arbitrary.

Can you explain you reasoning for the next away games?

What happens if we draw all 3 but win the next 3 home games? Is 12 points from 6 games a sackable offence? Or 19 from the 1st 11 games?

Some people have lost their heads massively. Expectations are not aligned with where we are at.

It’s 1 season and 5 league games into a rebuild of the playing squad and transfer philosophy. You can’t expect instant results. +60 points should be the aim. Giving young players a chance should be the aim. Building towards Top 6 or Top 4 challenges should be the aim.

Thinking we can be a 70 point team this season is completely unrealistic after the complete mismanagement of the club and its funds over the previous seasons before Brands/Silva.

This isn’t about accepting mediocrity. It’s about accepting that it’s a long road ahead and that we’ll need patience. The club have bet long term on Silva and Brands. Better if certain fans realise this and focus energy on supporting the club rather than trying g to create divisions

Playing the same crap system and tactics away from home isnt anything to do with a rebuild/transfers mate.

We are crap away because he doesn't change things.

We are crap away because he has no passion and slumps on his chair when the team need someone on the touchline screaming at the players to wake up.

He's an emotionless dull one trick pony - how some fans still cant see it I dont know.

Playing the same crap system and tactics away from home isnt anything to do with a rebuild/transfers mate.

We are crap away because he doesn't change things.

We are crap away because he has no passion and slumps on his chair when the team need someone on the touchline screaming at the players to wake up.

He's an emotionless dull one trick pony - how some fans still cant see it I dont know.

Having a tactical system and s playing philosophy is what as manager brings.

Being able to implement that is dependent on the players available.

The squad when Silva arrived was a mosh mash of players and styles, brought about by poor management decisions and a uncoordinated transfer strategy.

Transfer play a massive role in shaping the squad and allowing any manager to implement his tactical plans. This relates to INs and OUTs since you need outgoing transfer to fund incoming ones.

I don’t agree with fully adapting your playing style to fit the currently available players. Short term tweaks? Yes. Moving away from your tactical philosophy? No

Aim should be improvement over the long term. That happens by getting the players you want long term invested and ingrained in your optimal tactical set up. Each year you add more players who are suited to play the system and lose ones that no longer do.

Maybe Silva isn’t the right manager but think we need 2-3 seasons before we jump to that conclusion. And by right manager I think we mean someone who can continually deliver 65+ points League campaigns and get us challenging for European places

Status
Not open for further replies.