Goats squad analysis thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a single person on here thinks 7th is quite the achievement.

Nobody is and ever will be content with 7th.

If we finish 7th this season, with nothing else to show for our efforts, you’ll have blues falling over themselves to say “job well done, Marco”. Nailed on.

Not a single person on here thinks 7th is quite the achievement.

Nobody is and ever will be content with 7th.
I'm genuinely not so sure anymore

I think alot of fans are happy with that.

Can't for the life of me see why though.

The top 6 are at their weekest, yet we stand no chance of getting into the mix.

We have a bare squad and the team picks itself, which I'd never ideal. The wingers are the only positions we can change about.

I find you boring, very repetitive and you suck the life out of every thread you care to post in, it is at this point I must bid you a farewell and hope that your ban comes quickly to save the rest of the forum of having the misfortune to read anything else you wish to post.

Crikey :rolleyes:

I'm genuinely not so sure anymore

I think alot of fans are happy with that.

Can't for the life of me see why though.

The top 6 are at their weekest, yet we stand no chance of getting into the mix.

We have a bare squad and the team picks itself, which I'd never ideal. The wingers are the only positions we can change about.

Totally agree.

You just know if we scrape 7th, you’ll have plenty on here talking about another season of ‘progress’. Frustrating really.

I don’t see it as such a terrible crime to expect better of my club.

Depends really doesn't it... If we have a load of long term injuries to key players or if we bag more points, goals and wins than last year and still finish 7th then you can't really complain.

Performance, not results. In my opinion.

Depends really doesn't it... If we have a load of long term injuries to key players or if we bag more points, goals and wins than last year and still finish 7th then you can't really complain.

Performance, not results. In my opinion.

I respect that approach, but at the biggest clubs (which is where we’re aspiring to), it’s a results business i’m afraid. Performing admirably and honorably and finishing 9th, irrespective of extenuating circumstances like injuries etc, for me would be utterly unforgivable.

I’m 100% looking for improved performances etc but it’s how you improve at the rate of the competition that’s important really. Likewise, in my opinion.

I respect that approach, but at the biggest clubs (which is where we’re aspiring to), it’s a results business i’m afraid. Performing admirably and honorably and finishing 9th, irrespective of extenuating circumstances like injuries etc, for me would be utterly unforgivable.

I’m 100% looking for improved performances etc but it’s how you improve at the rate of the competition that’s important really. Likewise, in my opinion.
I think that’s fair enough, but would you be satisfied with 8th and a trophy?

I respect that approach also. My way of looking at this is, as somebody with no control or influence over the situation, that you prepare your team (including the long term structures around them) as best you can to perform at their best level against every opponent. Then you either execute consistently and look to tweak where you can or you are inconsistent and reform what needs to be reformed. The input shapes the outcome, so you work on that.

But, then I'm not a football manager (except in the wonderful alternate reality that lives inside my laptop. A strange, bizarr-o world where I'm good at my job and people respect me.)

I think that’s fair enough, but would you be satisfied with 8th and a trophy?

100%.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like a trophy would be papering over an 8th finish and I'd be disappointed with the league performance.

But at the end of the day, I'd be absolutely chuffed to have silverware (get that monkey off our back) and european football back at GP

If we finish 7th this season, with nothing else to show for our efforts, you’ll have blues falling over themselves to say “job well done, Marco”. Nailed on.
This squad isn't good enough for us to expect any better than 7th so if that's where we finish it will be a job well done. Doesn't mean I'll be thrilled with it or think he's the best manager in the history of the world, but it would be churlish to complain about him doing what I think is realistically achievable.

This squad isn't good enough for us to expect any better than 7th so if that's where we finish it will be a job well done. Doesn't mean I'll be thrilled with it or think he's the best manager in the history of the world, but it would be churlish to complain about him doing what I think is realistically achievable.

Again, I don't think anybody would complain at achieving 7th. I certainly wouldn't.

The point I made was that people would be claiming that to be progress. I don't believe that we're good enough to finish 6th as yet, however I feel we're too good to be finishing 8th. 7th is exactly where we should finish, if he gets higher i'll be delighted, if he gets lower then he should rightly get belters. He's had the resources to cement that 'best of the rest' spot.

The real gauge for me will be how close we finish to the top six and how we do in the cup competitions alongside all that.

Question - if we finish 7th with 2 cup finals ... one guaranteed loss and the other decided in a coin toss (not literally)... would people be happy with that?

I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.