Young EFC Players Out on Loan 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im pretty confident that Silva said he wanted Kenny to go on loan for a season then compare how he and Sidibe have done at the end of the seaaon.

My view is that one of Coleman / Kenny should be a sub next season with a new starter signed.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Kenny on loan next season as well + Coleman and a new signing play next season with Kenny returning the season after.

...the problem with that strategy is Kenny is running down his contract.

Silva might not be here in 12 months, if he wanted Kenny he’d still be here.

...the problem with that strategy is Kenny is running down his contract.

Silva might not be here in 12 months, if he wanted Kenny he’d still be here.

Hes a local boy and loves the club so im pretty comfortable about him extending...Dowell extended and he wasnt even getting minutes.

My view is that Silva had Coleman down as a starter this season and felt Kenny needed games to improve so sent him on loan.

If he has a good season then a fee under £10mil suddenly becomes £15mil+ or gives us an option for next season...

Im really hoping that Kenny impresses on loan, hes off to a good start.

Hes a local boy and loves the club so im pretty comfortable about him extending...Dowell extended and he wasnt even getting minutes.

My view is that Silva had Coleman down as a starter this season and felt Kenny needed games to improve so sent him on loan.

If he has a good season then a fee under £10mil suddenly becomes £15mil+ or gives us an option for next season...

Im really hoping that Kenny impresses on loan, hes off to a good start.

...I think that’s a bit romantic. Dowell had us in a great position, he was coming off a successful loan spell and his contract was running down. He was in a position to negotiate a 3 year contract that set him up for life, more than he’d ever have got had he dropped a division. He’s set for 3 years, he’s set for life.

If Kenny does well, I fully expect he’ll want to stay in Germany. Regardless, he’ll do what’s best for him financially.

If Kenny does well, I fully expect he’ll want to stay in Germany. Regardless, he’ll do what’s best for him financially.
If Kenny does well enough he will be in a strong position to be offered something here. If not, he may well stay in Germany or he may have other interesting offers. In either case, good on him for progressing his play and his career.

It's an interesting example of why young players might want to go to Germany (or Spain or Italy). Do well and you get much more visibility than you would do having had a strong season with Preston or West Brom. On the other hand, if you have a bad loan where the manager is sacked or you get a niggling injury, as has happened to some of ours recently, I can imagine working through that at a club in another country might be extremely difficult for a young and maybe not particularly worldly-wise player...

In a way, it's the kind of thing that might give Dowell a bit of a shock to the system, where he has to sink or swim, rather than gliding through on his obvious potential and his one outstanding game in four. (Back to being subbed at ca. 60 minutes again I see with some pointed words before the match from the manager.)

If Kenny does well enough he will be in a strong position to be offered something here. If not, he may well stay in Germany or he may have other interesting offers. In either case, good on him for progressing his play and his career.

It's an interesting example of why young players might want to go to Germany (or Spain or Italy). Do well and you get much more visibility than you would do having had a strong season with Preston or West Brom. On the other hand, if you have a bad loan where the manager is sacked or you get a niggling injury, as has happened to some of ours recently, I can imagine working through that at a club in another country might be extremely difficult for a young and maybe not particularly worldly-wise player...

In a way, it's the kind of thing that might give Dowell a bit of a shock to the system, where he has to sink or swim, rather than gliding through on his obvious potential and his one outstanding game in four. (Back to being subbed at ca. 60 minutes again I see with some pointed words before the match from the manager.)

...i’d be chuffed if Kenny or Dowell ended up being successful players at Everton, I truly would. You know I’ve followed these youngsters for many years and read your updates as a matter of required reference.

The bottom line, though, is the Manager wants the players he feels he needs. He wants the players he needs to use. The very best Everton youngsters don’t go on loan, they come straight into the fold. Kenny did that, he came straight in. He’s a first team squad player who was sent on loan.

He was sent on loan because the Manager wasn’t going to use him. He was sent on loan because the Manager wanted better. That’s the reality. Kenny has already made it in the game. I like the fella, but looking at the evidence, it’s hard to see him playing here in the future.

I’m being logical, but i might be wrong.

Last edited:

Needs games if we do sell include a price we can buy him back if we want is a great move for him hopefully he can come back to us a stronger player

Didn't Brands say that he wanted only a loan cover for RB which is why he chose Sidibe.
He wanted to see how Kenny performed playing week in week out. Seems to be sound logic to me.
Yes, he indicated that all parties want him to play every day. I'm not certain he can't make it at Everton.

...I think that’s a bit romantic. Dowell had us in a great position, he was coming off a successful loan spell and his contract was running down. He was in a position to negotiate a 3 year contract that set him up for life, more than he’d ever have got had he dropped a division. He’s set for 3 years, he’s set for life.

Ive turned down job offers and even just interviews for more money if theres more potential growth elsewhere.

Not everything is financial when it comes to work.

...i’d be chuffed if Kenny or Dowell ended up being successful players at Everton, I truly would. You know I’ve followed these youngsters for many years and read your updates as a matter of required reference.

The bottom line, though, is the Manager wants the players he feels he needs. He wants the players he needs to use. The very best Everton youngsters don’t go on loan, they come straight into the fold. Kenny did that, he came straight in. He’s a first team squad player who was sent on loan.

He was sent on loan because the Manager wasn’t going to use him. He was sent on loan because the Manager wanted better. That’s the reality. Kenny has already made it in the game. I like the fella, but looking at the evidence, it’s hard to see him playing here in the future.

I’m being logical, but i might be wrong.
Didn't Brands say that he wanted only a loan cover for RB which is why he chose Sidibe.
He wanted to see how Kenny performed playing week in week out. Seems to be sound logic to me.

Seems logical to me what Brands/Silva said (as i posted a page or two ago) about Kenny going off for a year to play and us getting a loan in the meantime -- then compare both at the end of the season.

Different types of progression and perhaps its a longer term view.

Championship
Derby County - Kieran Dowell started and was substituted in the 52nd minute of a 3-0 away defeat to Brentford

OS Match Report

Fan comments
"Dowell isn’t what we need and isn’t playing in his correct position"
"Dowell has been disappointing"
"Dowell is spit. seriously awful, no way near good enough and thats that."
"Dowell isn’t doing it right now"

Pre-match Cocu comments re Dowell

Hull City - Matthew Pennington started and went off injured (calf) in the 17th minute of a 1-1 away draw at Millwall

League One
Lincoln City - Callum Connolly started and was substituted in the 75th minute of a 2-0 home win over Fleetwood Town

OS Match Report
"the striker was back at it again within 60 seconds, Callum Connolly playing the ball beyond the Fleetwood defence, WALKER raced away to slip the ball home between the legs of Gilks and into the net."
"Grant whipped in a wonderful inswinging ball but Connolly was inches away from connecting with."
"Fleetwood were growing in confidence and it took a well-positioned Connolly to get in the way of a right-wing cross from the men in yellow."
"Grant took over and he slipped the ball along the edge of the box to Connolly who shot over the top."

Twitter stuff
Tyler Walker scores two in less than two minutes!!! The first was a superb diving header from Harry Toffolo's cross, and doubled City's lead shortly after following Callum Connolly's through ball allowed Walker to slot underneath Gilks with his left.
45' Grant's inswinging free-kick is inches off the diving head of Connolly and it's out for a goal kick.
69' So close! City counter, as Walker sets Anderson, who squares back, but Walker can't get a clean enough connection on the strike, with the touch taking it away from Connolly who joined Walker in the area.
74' OVER! Vickers sprays 70-yard ball to Akinde who brings it down expertly, and the ball eventually reaches Connolly who drives over from 20 yards.

Fan comments
"Connelly did very well, made the second goal, looked a very good signing."
"I thought Connelly slotted in like he had been here for ages. Very assured. He’s going to make it hard for O’Connor to get back in."
"Didn't even notice Connolly, which is a good thing in his position IMO. Kept things ticking over, nice and simple."

German Bundesliga
Schalke 04 - Jonjoe Kenny played full match and was the first Schalke player to score this season in a 3-0 home win over Hertha Berlin

OS Match Report
"Schalke looked to play down the right-hand side with Jonjoe Kenny particularly prevalent in attacks, although the hosts couldn’t force out any clear-cut chances in the first half an hour."
"Amine Harit played a lovely ball to Jonjoe Kenny, who then gave it to Daniel Caligiuri. The 31-year-old’s cross was then turned home by Hertha defender Niklas Stark (38’)."
"The closing stages of the game were dominated by a wonder goal in the 85th minute by Jonjoe Kenny. Schalke’s players combined with a beautiful passage of play ending in the penalty box, as Bastion Oczipka’s low cross found Jonjoe Kenny who fired across the goalkeeper with a sensational effort that left goalkeeper Rune Jarstein with no chance."

Twitter stuff
Jonjoe Kenny! What a hit! The Everton loanee scored a belter as Schalke beat Hertha Berlin 3-0... Young English players doing damage in the Bundesliga!
#Wagner on Kenny's goal: "The lads said in the changing rooms that only an Englishman can score a goal like that!"

Fan comments
(Pretty unanimous MOTM for most fans.)
"I'd say the lad is a pretty complete package. Technically good, good skills, tactically good, good fitness. Unbelievable."
"I didn't think Kenny would perform so well. Had a few problems in the U21, but he somehow got rid of them here. Of course, this has its downside as well, because we won't be able to keep him if he plays consistently like that."
"Good lad. I'm impressed. Shows that sometimes football can be simple. Always available for a return pass."
"Everton loaned Sidibe with an option to buy. Hopefully he'll make it and Coleman will get better again. Then we could have a realistic chance of getting Kenny to make a firm commitment. Never mind. First of all enjoy this season with such a strong right-sided defender."
"Just fits in. A fighter, running and competing. BUT also very calm on the ball, good passes, very composed at the back. You have to hope that Sidibe improves with Everton so that Kenny can stay here."
...and much much more in that vein.

Josh Bowler and Joao Virginia were unused subs.
Nathan Broadhead, Korede Adedoyin and Fraser Hornby were not in matchday squads.

Leasing.com Trophy
Lincoln City - Callum Connolly played full match in 1-3 away defeat to Doncaster Rovers

OS Match Report
"Grant’s centre into the box caused momentary panic as the ball bounced around the penalty spot with Callum Connolly in close attention but Cameron John lashed the ball clear."
"Connolly sprayed a wonderful ball right to left into the feet of Ellis Chapman, he slipped the ball into John Akinde but the big striker was brought down."

Twitter stuff
6' Grant whips a ball into the area, but Connolly can't get a clean enough contact on the ball in and Rovers clear.
20' A smart cross-field switch by Connolly, lands with Chapman, who sets Akinde, and he's brought down for a City free-kick midway inside the Rovers half.
38' A late challenge by Ennis on Connolly sees the Wolves loanee receive the game's first booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.