Match Thread Crystal Palace 0-0 Everton, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
After the dust settles on this one, it's still a game we should be winning if we have any aspirations at all to break the top six, as relatively hollow as that is in itself.

I would compare it to Arsenal getting three points yesterday against an admittedly very poor outfit that look to be all over the place but I wouldn't have put money on us going there and winning under the same circumstances. Arsenal didn't field their new signings yesterday either.

Chelsea looked very poor, but can we finish above them over a 38 game season? Maybe, maybe not.

There will be huge pressure on Kean to deliver goals which I'm not sure it is at all fair to expect from him so soon in a new country, culture, and football set-up. But without that potential wins will turn into stale draws like Saturday and games we could get a point from will be lost.

I think our new signings are all decent and will come good but it will take time. Even at this very early stage I am still of the view that we will see off the challenge of Leicester and Wolves for seventh but not do much else this year, other than push Chelsea closer but come up short.

To be fair, a point in the first game of the season after going down to 10 against Palace isn't absolutely awful.

We did have 76 minutes of the game with 11 men though mate.

It's more about what lads say that I find funny (not in a piss taking out of them way) mate. Someone said the other day that if Gomes had still been on the pitch we would have won the game 1 - 0, I just pointed out that why weren't we winning the game 1 - 0 for the 45 mins Gomes did play.

Last edited:

Just had another look at the chances.

5 really good opportunities to take the lead there, 2 each for Sigurdsson and Richarlison and one for Coleman.

Still overall looks like a fair bit of early season rust, late signings won’t have helped matters.

We dominated the game for large periods and were defensively excellent; Pickford and Mina in particular.

My major concern is that our opening group of fixtures is very favourable on paper and we needed to come out of the traps all guns blazing to take advantage of that.

Plenty to be positive about for sure, but we need to sharpen that cutting edge. I hope a full week of focused training with everyone together should improve things but it could be a few weeks before we hit full stride. The amount of players missing preseason with international duty and late signings may be the issue.

How'd you play, guys?

Am I fool for having Richarlison in my fantasy side? That 8.0m could be redistributed elsewhere...

We controlled the game but were blunt in attack.

The Richarlison only played around 45 mins in pre-season due to being away for the Copa America, so is still a bit behind I think.
Got into some great positions and had a couple of excellent chances that you’d normally expect him to bury.
He’ll come good, probably just needs to up his sharpness a bit!

We did have 76 minutes of the game with 11 men though mate.

It's more about what lads say that I find funny (not in a piss taking out of them way) mate. Someone said the other day that if Gomes had still been on the pitch we would have won the game 1 - 0, I just pointed out that why weren't we winning the game 1 - 0 for the 45 mins Gomes did play.

Yeah I think both points are valid.

Should have won prior to the red card, fair enough result after it

I figured would Everton take 10 points in the first 6.

D at Palace
D at Villa
W v Watford
D at Bournemouth
W v Sheffield
D v City
You missed wolves at Home out which is the 4th game of season,while city is the 7th-we defo should go on an unbeaten run and get a few wins though,but this is Everton

Sure. Win 5 on the trot in the Premier League :coffee:
I don’t think he meant it literally as much as he meant we should be taking advantage of the early fixtures and dominating the games we should win. 2 wins in that time frame isn’t good enough for what we want to achieve.

My major concern is that our opening group of fixtures is very favourable on paper and we needed to come out of the traps all guns blazing to take advantage of that.

This is the stuff that frustrates me the most...we rarely take advantage. Last season, when we went on that good run of results against sides in the top six, it meant feck all in the scheme of things. Immediate result=nice, net result=numberwang.

Status
Not open for further replies.