Confirmed Signing Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, to be clear, Gana did not turn the ball over. He was absolutely one of our best players in NOT losing the ball.

Did he create much for his teammates? Not much. He wasn't a real dynamic player. Nor did he have great passing range. But he was not the problem with giving the ball to the other team. That was very much Walcott and Richarlison, although Richy got a bit better as the year went on.

I loved the boy. But he did give the ball away. The frustrating thing about him doing it was that he was often playing the easy ball.

When a player gives it away trying to create it's not an issue.

Real clarity on whether Gana's ball retention should have been better would require analysis of metadata rather than just looking at basic stats.

Ok, to be clear, Gana did not turn the ball over. He was absolutely one of our best players in NOT losing the ball.

Did he create much for his teammates? Not much. He wasn't a real dynamic player. Nor did he have great passing range. But he was not the problem with giving the ball to the other team. That was very much Walcott and Richarlison, although Richy got a bit better as the year went on.
Don't agree with this tbh, Gana has gave away the ball a good couple of times because his passing can be sloppy/careless around our box.

Delighted we have got this one done, know nothing about him but he is clearly the Gana replacement, no pressure lad but you have big boots to fill. Hope you fill them brilliantly. Welcome aboard.

I loved the boy. But he did give the ball away. The frustrating thing about him doing it was that he was often playing the easy ball.

When a player gives it away trying to create it's not an issue.

Real clarity on whether Gana's ball retention should have been better would require analysis of metadata rather than just looking at basic stats.

Excellent post, looking at passing stats etc doesnt tell the whole story if a 2 yard pass is counted the same as 30 metre one. Idrissa was a one dimensional player, he happened to be excellent at that dimension but the position can certainly be improved on particularly in progressive play.

The other criticism i would have on him was you would get one good half of a season out of him every season. I certainly am not to dissapointed that hes left straight after the AFCON, optimal timing.

True. He was decent at ball retention, but if not when he tried to play it forwards.

But that wasn't his job.

That's what people don't seem to understand about Gana. He has one specific role, and he is exceptionally good at it.

As for his ball retention, it was very good. He plays in a role where if he does lose the ball then it's very noticable - but if you compare him statistically (and to be honest with your own eyes) to others who play his role, he was remarkably good at keeping it.

We're going to miss him, and Gbamin will be a success if he's three-quarters as good as Gana. There's no point trying to rewrite history.

Excellent post, looking at passing stats etc doesnt tell the whole story if a 2 yard pass is counted the same as 30 metre one. Idrissa was a one dimensional player, he happened to be excellent at that dimension but the position can certainly been improved on particularly in progressive play.

Dramatically underestimating how hard it is to play the role he does.

It's very difficult to read play two or three passes ahead to ensure you're in the right place to break up danger. That's what Gana did fantastically well.

His job was then to distribute to a player who can create once we're in possession. Indeed, if he wasn't doing those 5 yard passes, he wouldn't be doing the job tasked to him.

Dramatically underestimating how hard it is to play the role he does.

It's very difficult to read play two or three passes ahead to ensure you're in the right place to break up danger. That's what Gana did fantastically well.

His job was then to distribute to a player who can create once we're in possession. Indeed, if he wasn't doing those 5 yard passes, he wouldn't be doing the job tasked to him.

Thats a fair point, but i do feel we over esteemed him somewhat, he had some good attributes, interceptions, engine, pressing. He was an ok reader, a bit impetuous, the best i ever saw there was Roy Keane, i dont think its necessarily the most tactically astute position on the field but i would accept that point. I do feel he had clear limits, physicality, we were often out muscled in midfield, transition, his progressive play was limited, i also think his form could be up and down.

The way i look at it we have had some cracking defensive midfielders that have come and left with lower profiles, say Barry, Carsley and Parkinson, id have ahead of Idrissa, id bite your hand off 30 mill for him - excellent deal all in.

I actually think looseing him changes and progresses the dynamic of the team, not saying there wont be hairy moments in adjustment, but i think we are better off in the bigger longer picture.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.