Confirmed Signing Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
source.gif

WOULD

I was a fan of Gana for his work rate and defensive skills but was frustrated by his poor distribution and contribution to attacks. I've thought for a while it is possible that with a midfielder who is tidier in his passing than Gana was there will be fewer interceptions and tackles required so his replacement does not necessarily have to be a like-for-like carbon copy. Time will tell if this lad will prove this point but I'm very optimistic. Our best midfields included players that were good tacklers but also good at more than just defensive duties - Reid and Bracewell prime examples but players like Carsley, Dacourt, Hutchison, Speed etc were known for their tough tackling and work rate but were also good on the ball. Would love to see a return to that level of all-round midfielder

I was a fan of Gana for his work rate and defensive skills but was frustrated by his poor distribution and contribution to attacks. I've thought for a while it is possible that with a midfielder who is tidier in his passing than Gana was there will be fewer interceptions and tackles required so his replacement does not necessarily have to be a like-for-like carbon copy. Time will tell if this lad will prove this point but I'm very optimistic. Our best midfields included players that were good tacklers but also good at more than just defensive duties - Reid and Bracewell prime examples but players like Carsley, Dacourt, Hutchison, Speed etc were known for their tough tackling and work rate but were also good on the ball. Would love to see a return to that level of all-round midfielder
Ok, to be clear, Gana did not turn the ball over. He was absolutely one of our best players in NOT losing the ball.

Did he create much for his teammates? Not much. He wasn't a real dynamic player. Nor did he have great passing range. But he was not the problem with giving the ball to the other team. That was very much Walcott and Richarlison, although Richy got a bit better as the year went on.

Ok, to be clear, Gana did not turn the ball over. He was absolutely one of our best players in NOT losing the ball.

Did he create much for his teammates? Not much. He wasn't a real dynamic player. Nor did he have great passing range. But he was not the problem with giving the ball to the other team. That was very much Walcott and Richarlison, although Richy got a bit better as the year went on.
Gana didn't turn the ball over much because he'd just give it to the nearest player to him most of the time. No problem - he knew his limits. When he did try to be more adventurous it normally didn't turn out too well. I'd like to see that place in the team held by someone with steel but also a bit of guile. Players like Bryan Robson, Patrick Viera and dare I say it Gerrard had that all-round midfield game. All I'm saying is I'd like Gana's replacement to be more than just a defensive shield, and I'm hoping JP can be that. Also forwards can be let off for losing the ball more often because they have licence to try things, to be creative and take chances in areas of the pitch where losing the ball doesn't have the same consequences. I don't want our forwards to curb that for the sake of possession, because when they lose out it rarely leads to us conceding but when it works it can lead to a goal-scoring chance. Different remits.

Gana didn't turn the ball over much because he'd just give it to the nearest player to him most of the time. No problem - he knew his limits. When he did try to be more adventurous it normally didn't turn out too well. I'd like to see that place in the team held by someone with steel but also a bit of guile. Players like Bryan Robson, Patrick Viera and dare I say it Gerrard had that all-round midfield game. All I'm saying is I'd like Gana's replacement to be more than just a defensive shield, and I'm hoping JP can be that. Also forwards can be let off for losing the ball more often because they have licence to try things, to be creative and take chances in areas of the pitch where losing the ball doesn't have the same consequences. I don't want our forwards to curb that for the sake of possession, because when they lose out it rarely leads to us conceding but when it works it can lead to a goal-scoring chance. Different remits.

I agree with all of that, I just know some others make up a lot of stuff about Gana, but you got it. Not expansive, but not creative.

oh god here we go

I can’t see Gomes not starting considering he played for the most of last season and for a fair chunk of it being one of our better players
Weirdly, I think a midfield three of Gomes, Gbamin and Delph would be really balanced and effective defensively and offensively, but it accommodate that you’d have to drop Sig from the number 10 role which just isn’t going to happen
Silva has some decisions to make that’s for sure
Sigursdson would stay in a team with that midfield if he played as a false 9 like Firminio. Can't see it happening though.

Lee Carsley was one of the greatest Everton players in my lifetime yet so under rated. Nothing flashy (apart from the derby goal :p ) but how we missed him during that time if he was injured. The midfield just became porous.

Status
Not open for further replies.