• Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt watch the RS game last night.

But for me, the takeaway under Klopp has been a core group of English players...same trend with many successful clubs here and overseas.

It may not be glamorous but it seems necessary.

Id be keen on us going after another wave of young English talent for the squad, 4-5 high potential young players with two first choice additions on top.

The Swansea winger, Derby right back and Coventry midfielder seem to fit the bill...

I think they have built foundations there on players who knew the league. He then had the basis to take more risky options on. Remember Mane was seen as the 2nd choice for Goetze and Manchester United snubbed him as he wasn't exciting enough.

That’s not exactly a hard barometer to look good on.

I think the bigger challenge for Everton is to look at sides like Benfica, who have recently produced a golden bunch of players and ask how we try to emulate that. A clue is, it is not by slagging off many young players who many of our fans seem to want to do.

seeing a lot of links to Giovani Lo Celso . Looks a good player, can play as either a CM or AMC. Betis signed him last year for £21m and want £40m for him, a bit pricey, could be a good option if we cannot get Gomes for £30m, but I can't see us getting both, unless we can shift a fair few out.

I didnt watch the RS game last night.

But for me, the takeaway under Klopp has been a core group of English players...same trend with many successful clubs here and overseas.

It may not be glamorous but it seems necessary.

Id be keen on us going after another wave of young English talent for the squad, 4-5 high potential young players with two first choice additions on top.

The Swansea winger, Derby right back and Coventry midfielder seem to fit the bill...

There is a lot of sense in it, i think there can be a mindset that foreigners are better then UK based players. There is logic to that as its a world wide market as opposed to just a domestic one.

I would however suggest there has been significant improvements in developing players domestically that is beginging to show in most high profile cup compititions, Engalnd were resepctable at the world cup last year as were wales at the Euros, there seems to be more young prospects breaking through all the time and prospects gettable in the under age teams, it certainly a market we should focus.

There is a lot to be said in mastering your market domestically before mastering it abroad, other big European clubs arent going to have scouts at Coventry Vs Derby U20s.

Like you i think its about blend, in creating depth, the English game is unique and you need a measure of good domestic players.

Last edited:

There was a major flaw with his game that I think would get exposed after a few months in the PL and it was blatantly obvious in the World Cup. He cuts back on his right far to often.

The lad is a quick as lightening and on the counter he’d be brilliant. My only concern would be if he gets swamped if he had the finesse to make magic happen rather then rely solely on his pace

I didnt notice myself, you could be right, he destroyed lads and defences playing week in and out in the CL. If im honest it was his intensity that stood out for me mixed with quality, i thought he was a model for the PL.

Didn't Atletico spend £90m on lemar or something silly. Haven't really heard of him there.

Hes spluttered a bit there, to be honest i didnt think it was a great move for him the way Athletico set up, the lad has huge headroom though and would thrive in an offensive attacking three, there seems to be so many good left wingers around and not so many right, which is weird.

You obviously know a lot more than me regarding the finances and how they work. But didn’t he also say at the AGM that fees wouldn’t be a problem, it’s just buying young players on low wages. Getting the wage bill down is must as you say.

Its just my reading of it and my personal logic i could well be wrong, i didnt think we would spend what we did last year, i do however not like how we did with.

Simply put the business cant sustain the level of spending its doing consistently, if Moshiri wants to continue picking up the tab thats fine, i just think its stupid to and i dont think he is stupid, i would suggest this year we are are going to post our biggest loss ever. Id also be keeping an eye on debt levels.

Last edited:
There was a major flaw with his game that I think would get exposed after a few months in the PL and it was blatantly obvious in the World Cup. He cuts back on his right far to often.

The lad is a quick as lightening and on the counter he’d be brilliant. My only concern would be if he gets swamped if he had the finesse to make magic happen rather then rely solely on his pace

Cutting back shouldn’t be a problem since he plays on the right these days.

Marcos Llorente from Madrid might be one to look at, a good alternative to replacing guaye

Last edited:
I didnt notice myself, you could be right, he destroyed lads and defences playing week in and out in the CL. If im honest it was his intensity that stood out for me mixed with quality, i thought he was a model for the PL.

I’ve never really watched him until the World Cup and haven’t since. Like you I was blown away with how much intensity there was in his game, it’s exactly what we need. Defenders would hate him.

It was around the second game I started noticing it. As soon as he got in the box he kept going across to get it on his right to get the shot off, if he’s fast enough it wouldn’t be an issue.

But @Nymzee has just killed my argument dead so I’m going for a sulk

Status
Not open for further replies.