2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's got a long way to go to be better than Nigel Martin.
I never really got to watch Martin play. I used southall as the main barometer mostly due to longevity. Pickford has one or two years close to Martin he overtakes it for me due to how long he’s likely to stick around for

Martyn lads, show the great man some respect

If he avoids the rushes of blood then he is an adequate keeper. He's done slightly better since the Newcastle game. But again we saw him leg it out of his box after rashford on Sunday when we had a four goal lead. It was just bizarre.
Yeah it’s those moments that have me worried. I think he is letting the criticism get to his head. That was one of the areas I felt he excelled at in his first season here (sweeper keeping).

He’s been called world class a lot more than once in this thread alone.

And yes, I agree. Bad defence = more shots on goal.

pickford-090b.jpg

He's making kid mistakes on the reg. No premiership keeper should be allowed to pull some of the stunts he's pulled. From bad passing directly to the oppositions attack to double leg takedowns, any senior keeper should know and do better. We can't just keep playing him if this continues baesd on what he might become.
Two seasons of mistakes for us and one for Sunderland should tell you all you need to know about his current ability. I, like you, hope he shapes up, but we seriously need another keeper over the summer, if only to keep this fool in line.
I'm not saying we stick with him if he keeps making mistakes, we'd be stupid to do so. I'm saying that it was best he got those errors out of his system (and learnt by them) for next season when I think we will have a real challenge for top 6 (6th probably at best) and may be a cup.
He has shown he has the basics to be a very good GK. But he needs to kick on now.

You sent me a list of them abt 6 months ago mate. I did look at them - only on youtube though - there didnt seem to be any better that Picford imo. 2 or 3 od them even came up in a compilation of goal keeping errors. I'm not saying they are poor keepers- far from it, but I dont think any would improve what we have, and if they did, would they want to come to Everton?
I doubt any of them would single handedly have derailed our season.

It's a low bar any replacement for the man-child would need to get over.

I know. I dont like his attitude though. He's unprofessional and a bit of a divvy. 3 good games and 1 calamity game is no good for me. He needs a good GK to apply pressure on him from the bench.
Said last summer, we should have gone for Ben Foster to pressure JP into maintaining Number One form

Status
Not open for further replies.