2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnguishedJovialDesertpupfish-size_restricted.gif

Given his age and that he is still far from his peak (goalkeepers peak around 30-31)
I'd rather he makes mistakes this season when the team is still in transition and learning together as a unit than say next season when we are 'hopefully' challenging for top 6 and on a good cup run.
Do we not allow players to learn from their mistakes? Or do we hound them out the club ,Barkley/Stones?!?!?
Hugely outdated idea.

Neuer, Hart, Lloris etc were all top class in their mid 20s and nowhere near as good now as they were. De Gea's 28 and having arguably his worst season for United, potentially the start of a decline. Cech was at his best in his 20s, not been anything like the same for the last 5 or 6 years.

That's not a criticism of Pickford, he's done well in recent weeks, but the idea that he's a baby just doesn't stand up. He's entering his peak years by modern standards.

Given his age and that he is still far from his peak (goalkeepers peak around 30-31)
I'd rather he makes mistakes this season when the team is still in transition and learning together as a unit than say next season when we are 'hopefully' challenging for top 6 and on a good cup run.
Do we not allow players to learn from their mistakes? Or do we hound them out the club ,Barkley/Stones?!?!?
"His age".

He's an adult male. If we're waiting for him to become more grounded then we'll have a long wait. He's another man-child like Gazza.

Hugely outdated idea.

Neuer, Hart, Lloris etc were all top class in their mid 20s and nowhere near as good now as they were. De Gea's 28 and having arguably his worst season for United, potentially the start of a decline. Cech was at his best in his 20s, not been anything like the same for the last 5 or 6 years.

That's not a criticism of Pickford, he's done well in recent weeks, but the idea that he's a baby just doesn't stand up. He's entering his peak years by modern standards.
Fair point but Cech was 33 when Chelsea sold him and still played to a high standard for Arsenal (did the head injury impeded his progress??)
De Gea has been playing in a team who are not playing anywhere near what, on paper, they should be and haven't for a few years, which brings me to my point with Pickford.
He is coming to the end of only his 3rd full top flight season. NONE of those seasons have been anything other than a rollercoaster for all involved (relegation with Sunderland and two mediocre seasons with us) yet in all that he is the established England no1, our player of the season last season and a standout player in Sunderlands relegation season.
Once we become more consistent in our performances everyone will benefit from the confidence that will give and the mistakes will become less.

"His age".

He's an adult male. If we're waiting for him to become more grounded then we'll have a long wait. He's another man-child like Gazza.
It's not about whether his an adult or a man child, it's about him learning what he can do and cant.
I'd rather he did this now while we aren't challenging for anything (that is down to the whole team not just Pickford over the last couple of seasons) than a season when we need a competent GK behind a competent defence.

It's not about whether his an adult or a man child, it's about him learning what he can do and cant.
I'd rather he did this now while we aren't challenging for anything (that is down to the whole team not just Pickford over the last couple of seasons) than a season when we need a competent GK behind a competent defence.
We need a deputy GK (at least) in order to place pressure on this walloper and keep his tiny mind from drifting in games.

We need a deputy GK (at least) in order to place pressure on this walloper and keep his tiny mind from drifting in games.
And that's Jordan's fault that there isn't a quality understudy?
Be constructive instead of making useless comments and name, realistically, a GK who would fit this idea you have or one to replace Pickford........

And that's Jordan's fault that there isn't a quality understudy?
Be constructive instead of making useless comments and name, realistically, a GK who would fit this idea you have or one to replace Pickford........
The Bundesliga's full of them. Well better than him.

Fair point but Cech was 33 when Chelsea sold him and still played to a high standard for Arsenal (did the head injury impeded his progress??)
De Gea has been playing in a team who are not playing anywhere near what, on paper, they should be and haven't for a few years, which brings me to my point with Pickford.
He is coming to the end of only his 3rd full top flight season. NONE of those seasons have been anything other than a rollercoaster for all involved (relegation with Sunderland and two mediocre seasons with us) yet in all that he is the established England no1, our player of the season last season and a standout player in Sunderlands relegation season.
Once we become more consistent in our performances everyone will benefit from the confidence that will give and the mistakes will become less.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that once you're 30 you're on the scrap heap or anything, just that it's not really true anymore that keepers don't peak until much later than other positions.

Hugely outdated idea.

The only thing I’d say about Cech is he had that awful head injury and was never quite the same after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.