2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not go back to claiming this short armed crab is good just because the defence in front of him is doing way better work. Its not thanks to him if our defenders stop teams from testing our keeper. Stop it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that once you're 30 you're on the scrap heap or anything, just that it's not really true anymore that keepers don't peak until much later than other positions.
Their 'peak' age is higher than an outfield players and they last longer too ( around 32 for outfield compared to 36 for gks)
I will agree that In the last decade GK have matured younger than before.

I think Pickford is the very least of our problems.
Keeping him at the club will be a challenge. We are lucky to have him.

If he were prised away from us a mega bid I would look at Jack Butland as replacement.

Lets not go back to claiming this short armed crab is good just because the defence in front of him is doing way better work. Its not thanks to him if our defenders stop teams from testing our keeper. Stop it.
Why? If you do more work my have more chance of making mistakes

Im not sure what youre asking. Why we shouldnt claim Pickford is world class because our defenders stop teams from getting shots off?
Im guessing thats not it?
I dont think anyone is saying he is world class, because he isn't YET.
He could be one day if he learns from his mistakes and the defence in front of him become a solid unit. No one becomes a world class player in an inconsistent team.
To clarify, it's the defenders job to limit the shots at goal and the last line of defence is the GK. If the defence keeps failing in their job then the goalkeeper will have more work to do than 'normal' so will most likely make more mistakes than one with a solid defence.

The Bundesliga's full of them. Well better than him.
You sent me a list of them abt 6 months ago mate. I did look at them - only on youtube though - there didnt seem to be any better that Picford imo. 2 or 3 od them even came up in a compilation of goal keeping errors. I'm not saying they are poor keepers- far from it, but I dont think any would improve what we have, and if they did, would they want to come to Everton?

Biggest compliment I can give is for the first time in living memory (supporter since 07) I feel content with whom we have in the sticks.

He’s a fair way from world class but a very good keeper in the mean time. If he irons out some of his kinks and degeordiefies a bit he will be the best keeper we’ve had since southall

Biggest compliment I can give is for the first time in living memory (supporter since 07) I feel content with whom we have in the sticks.

He’s a fair way from world class but a very good keeper in the mean time. If he irons out some of his kinks and degeordiefies a bit he will be the best keeper we’ve had since southall

He's got a long way to go to be better than Nigel Martin.

He's got a long way to go to be better than Nigel Martin.
I never really got to watch Martin play. I used southall as the main barometer mostly due to longevity. Pickford has one or two years close to Martin he overtakes it for me due to how long he’s likely to stick around for

I dont think anyone is saying he is world class, because he isn't YET.

To clarify, it's the defenders job to limit the shots at goal and the last line of defence is the GK. If the defence keeps failing in their job then the goalkeeper will have more work to do than 'normal' so will most likely make more mistakes than one with a solid defence.
He’s been called world class a lot more than once in this thread alone.

And yes, I agree. Bad defence = more shots on goal.

pickford-090b.jpg

He's making kid mistakes on the reg. No premiership keeper should be allowed to pull some of the stunts he's pulled. From bad passing directly to the oppositions attack to double leg takedowns, any senior keeper should know and do better. We can't just keep playing him if this continues baesd on what he might become.
Two seasons of mistakes for us and one for Sunderland should tell you all you need to know about his current ability. I, like you, hope he shapes up, but we seriously need another keeper over the summer, if only to keep this fool in line.

The Bundesliga's full of them. Well better than him.
Don't know of any German goalies in the premier. League at present.If the Bundesliga is that full of talent some would already be here.Pickford has his moments agree but has a lot more talent than many I've seen at Everton in recent decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.