Goats squad analysis thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me this summer has to be about steady progression. We've had a huge turnover of players in the last few years so we could do with trying to settle down a bit and sprinkling in some extra quality.

I suggest:
Baines 1 year deal
Zouma permanent
Gomes permanent
Buy/loan a new DM
Either keep Dowell or Vlasic
Hopefully get a work permit for Onyekuru
Make a decision on Lookman
Buy/loan a new ST

If Gana does go to PSG then I would keep Schneiderlin as back up for the new DM (as much as I don't like him)

GK
Jordan Pickford
João Virginia
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines

CB
Michael Keane
Kurt Zouma
Yerry Mina
Mason Holgate

DM/CM/AM
Idrissa Gueye
New DM
Gylfi Sigurðsson
Andre Gomes
Tom Davies
Nikola Vlašić/Kieran Dowell

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Ademola Lookman/New Winger
Henry Onyekuru

ST
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
New ST
Ryan Fraser would be a good buy

Tried to be as realistic as possible with this list. We're going to be in for Gomes and Zouma which is pretty clear and we're never going to sell all the players we don't want in one window but this is how the world will look according to me in June.

We'd be looking to move on 12 players with 6 of those being in the forward positions. This doesn't even take into consideration the players who may leave but aren't on the sale rail like Gueye, Lookman, Onyekuru and Vlasic.

If we got Gomes and Zouma then we'd still need a right back, a central midfielder and two forwards. (One for the right and one central.) So five players and that's if you renew Baines for left back and leave the back-up goalkeeper until next time.

We may be expecting too much you know...

Goalkeepers:

Pickford
| Keep
Stekelenburg | Keep
Virginia | Keep

Defenders:

Coleman
| Keep
Kenny | Loan
Martina | Sell
Holgate | Keep
Keane | Keep
Mina | Keep
Pennington | Sell
Jagielka | Release
Baines | Keep
Connolly | Loan/Sell
Robinson | Loan

Midfielders:

Gueye
| Keep
Schneiderlin | Sell
McCarthy | Sell
Davies | Keep
Williams | Keep
Sigurdsson | Keep
Vlasic | Keep
Dowell | Sell

Forwards:

Walcott
| Sell
Mirallas | Sell
Tarashaj | Sell
Niasse | Sell
Tosun | Sell
Calvert-Lewin | Keep
Lookman | Keep
Bernard | Keep
Richarlison | Keep
Onyekuru | Keep
Bolasie | Sell

Last edited:
Tried to be as realistic as possible with this list. We're going to be in for Gomes and Zouma which is pretty clear and we're never going to sell all the players we don't want in one window but this is how the world will look according to me in June.

We'd be looking to move on 13 players with 7 of those being in the forward positions. This doesn't even take into consideration the players who may leave but aren't on the sale rail like Gueye, Lookman, Onyekuru and Vlasic.

If we got Gomes and Zouma then we'd still need a right back, a centre back, a central midfielder and two forwards. One for the right and one central. So six players and that's if you renew Baines for left back and drop the back-up goalkeeper until next time.

Goalkeepers:

Pickford
| Keep
Stekelenburg | Keep
Virginia | Keep

Defenders:

Coleman
| Keep
Kenny | Loan
Martina | Sell
Holgate | Keep
Keane | Keep
Mina | Keep
Pennington | Sell
Jagielka | Release
Baines | Keep
Connolly | Loan/Sell
Robinson | Loan

Midfielders:

Gueye
| Keep
Schneiderlin | Sell
McCarthy | Sell
Davies | Keep
Williams | Keep
Sigurdsson | Keep
Vlasic | Keep
Dowell | Sell

Forwards:

Walcott
| Sell
Mirallas | Sell
Niasse | Sell
Tarashaj | Sell
Niasse | Sell
Tosun | Sell
Calvert-Lewin | Keep
Lookman | Keep
Bernard | Keep
Richarlison | Keep
Onyekuru | Keep
Bolasie | Sell

...I really don’t get this fascination folk have with wanting to send our players on loan. I assume Holgate is at West Brom because Silva prefers Kenny as back up RB, but I just can’t see the point in loaning Kenny. We know how good he is and a loan helps run down a players contract.

The squad is too big, it gets to a point where you use players or sell them.

In my opinion, all of the current 1st team loanees are surplus to requirements and up for sale (including Holgate, Dowell, Vlasic, Connolly, Pennington). Of the Academy loanees, only Joe Williams will be part of pre-season. Antonee Robinson and Anthony Evans will be allowed to move. It’s pointless loaning them again if we can move them permanently.

...I really don’t get this fascination folk have with wanting to send our players on loan. I assume Holgate is at West Brom because Silva prefers Kenny as back up RB, but I just can’t see the point in loaning Kenny. We know how good he is and a loan helps run down a players contract.

In my opinion, all of the current 1st team loanees are surplus to requirements and up for sale (including Holgate, Dowell, Vlasic, Connolly, Pennington). Of the Academy loanees, only Joe Williams will be part of pre-season. Antonee Robinson and Anthony Evans will be allowed to move. It’s pointless loaning them again if we can move them permanently.

My feeling was that we'd bring in a new right-back to compete with Coleman and take over from him. then rather than have Kenny be a third-choice right back, get him on loan for a year and see if he's got the stuff to come back and take over from Coleman as one of the senior two in that position.

Holgate would be (in my version) a centre-back replacing the released Jagielka. I rate Kenny. I just think we need a right-back equivalent signing to Lucas Digne.

My feeling was that we'd bring in a new right-back to compete with Coleman and take over from him. then rather than have Kenny be a third-choice right back, get him on loan for a year and see if he's got the stuff to come back and take over from Coleman as one of the senior two in that position.

Holgate would be (in my version) a centre-back replacing the released Jagielka. I rate Kenny. I just think we need a right-back equivalent signing to Lucas Digne.

....if we get a new RB, I assume it’s to replace Coleman. It would then be a matter of selling Coleman or Kenny, surely we want to recoup some monies and lighten the wages bill. Also, Kyle John is really impressing at youth levels so the Coaches will be assessing his capability in the near future.

I have never seen Holgate as a CB.

As far as i’m concerned we only loan players in the 1st team squad if we can’t shift them on a permanent deal (Bolasie, Mirallas, Niasse et al). Similarly with youngsters like Robinson and Connolly it comes to a point where we have to either use them or move them on. Very few end up like Duffy but if they do return to the top flight then good luck to them.

The big unknown in squad analysis is whether an Academy individual is seen as possibly making the step up. It’s good if we can get one or two every five years or so. I suspect Lewis Gibson and Anthony Gordon are being considered for this summer.

....if we get a new RB, I assume it’s to replace Coleman. It would then be a matter of selling Coleman or Kenny, surely we want to recoup some monies and lighten the wages bill. Also, Kyle John is really impressing at youth levels so the Coaches will be assessing his capability in the near future.

As far as i’m concerned we only loan players in the 1st team squad if we can’t shift them on a permanent deal (Bolasie, Mirallas, Niasse et al). Similarly with youngsters like Robinson and Connolly it comes to a point where we have to either use them or move them on. Very few end up like Duffy but if they do return to the top flight then good luck to them.

The big unknown in squad analysis is whether an Academy individual is seen as possibly making the step up. It’s good if we can get one or two every five years or so. I suspect Lewis Gibson and Anthony Gordon are being considered for this summer.

Kenny is still young enough to be loaned to see more of him in a consistent first team environment. My view would be to loan him and then the following summer you'd know which of him or Coleman need to be sold on (providing the new player has worked out.)

The club don't see it that way though. In the majority of cases, the loanee players are up for sale but not all of them. I for one don't think that Holgate is for sale. I think he was loaned so he was playing whilst we still had Jagielka for a few more months.

Kenny is still young enough to be loaned to see more of him in a consistent first team environment. My view would be to loan him and then the following summer you'd know which of him or Coleman need to be sold on (providing the new player has worked out.)

The club don't see it that way though. In the majority of cases, the loanee players are up for sale but not all of them. I for one don't think that Holgate is for sale. I think he was loaned so he was playing whilst we still had Jagielka for a few more months.

....possibly, but it’s all conjecture. I really don’t see Holgate ever being a CB and it looks like a couple of West Brom Managers agree.

I still don’t see the point of ever sending Kenny on loan. I have no problem if the club ultimately choose to sell him.

Surely you understand the benefits of loaning out players to make them better when we can’t play them often enough ourselves to do it.

Surely you understand the benefits of loaning out players to make them better when we can’t play them often enough ourselves to do it.

....I can see it in Academy players, but i’m not a big fan of sending first teamers out. Dowell, for example, had a loan spell at Forest last season. It was my opinion at the time, we should have used him as we were really struggling for goals and creativity and he was a better option than Lennon.

Dowell has had limited opportunities here, but when he has he’s failed to grasp them. I don’t particularly see him ‘getting better’ at Sheffield United, I don’t particularly see Pennington ‘getting better’ at Ipswich etc. We saw Garbutt sent on loan after loan.

It gets to a point where we have to use or move these players on. I also think it’s a ‘lazy’ option, until recently folk on here were saying we should send DCL ‘on loan to the Championship’.

....amazing when you consider the length of that list, even more amazing if you convert it to weekly salary.
I've been extremely generous in deliberately underestimating wages, and still I put that at around 1 million a week on those.

....I can see it in Academy players, but i’m not a big fan of sending first teamers out. Dowell, for example, had a loan spell at Forest last season. It was my opinion at the time, we should have used him as we were really struggling for goals and creativity and he was a better option than Lennon.

Dowell has had limited opportunities here, but when he has he’s failed to grasp them. I don’t particularly see him ‘getting better’ at Sheffield United, I don’t particularly see Pennington ‘getting better’ at Ipswich etc. We saw Garbutt sent on loan after loan.

It gets to a point where we have to use or move these players on. I also think it’s a ‘lazy’ option, until recently folk on here were saying we should send DCL ‘on loan to the Championship’.

But in that case, we surely just have to use someone straight from the academy, or just keep buying players in. Why shell money out for a back-up position when we can test out youngsters on loans?

They might not be in the academy anymore but players like Robinson/Dowell etc. are still young.

Strange way to look at things IMO.

We'd be looking to move on 12 players with 6 of those being in the forward positions. This doesn't even take into consideration the players who may leave but aren't on the sale rail like Gueye, Lookman, Onyekuru and Vlasic.

If we got Gomes and Zouma then we'd still need a right back, a central midfielder and two forwards. (One for the right and one central.) So five players and that's if you renew Baines for left back and leave the back-up goalkeeper until next time.

Goalkeepers:

Pickford
| Keep
Stekelenburg | Keep
Virginia | Keep

Defenders:

Coleman
| Keep
Kenny | Loan
Martina | Sell
Holgate | Keep
Keane | Keep
Mina | Keep
Pennington | Sell
Jagielka | Release
Baines | Keep
Connolly | Loan/Sell
Robinson | Loan

Midfielders:

Gueye
| Keep
Schneiderlin | Sell
McCarthy | Sell
Davies | Keep
Williams | Keep
Sigurdsson | Keep
Vlasic | Keep
Dowell | Sell

Forwards:

Walcott
| Sell
Mirallas | Sell
Tarashaj | Sell
Niasse | Sell
Tosun | Sell
Calvert-Lewin | Keep
Lookman | Keep
Bernard | Keep
Richarlison | Keep
Onyekuru | Keep
Bolasie | Sell

Forgot Baningime. He can be sold too. Looked like he might have it but he's not even playing at Wigan is he? Can't see him suddenly being good enough to play here.

But in that case, we surely just have to use someone straight from the academy, or just keep buying players in. Why shell money out for a back-up position when we can test out youngsters on loans?

They might not be in the academy anymore but players like Robinson/Dowell etc. are still young.

Strange way to look at things IMO.

...sorry, Nymz, I did say i’m not against it for Academy players. Saying that, I thought we had a great opportunity to see Dowell here rather than Forest, but this is now his 2nd loan and he’s only there because he failed to impress Silva when given his chance. Pennington and Connolly are similar, they are on loan again because they failed to impress and were surplus to requirements.

I was trying to think of players we’ve sent on loan who go on to be regular first teamers for us. I might be wrong, but I can’t think of lots. Osman and Barkley perhaps. DCL and Davies didn’t go on loan because the Manager thought he could use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.