Dear David Moyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree, Martinez signed a load of garbage and one diamond. That sums the guy up - he was capable of that odd moment where you thought “wow”, followed by a load of dross.

Moyes was more conservative and middle of the road. He wouldn’t have signed rubbish like Kobe, but wouldn’t have bagged Lukaku either.

Moyes did rob Stones from under Martinez Wigan noses as well. Anyone denying Lukaku was good signing as goal scorer is just being ridiculous for sake of it.

Or as Defensive Consultant under Silva.

Not really though, I’m too petty to ever want him back at the club even though he would do a job organising the back 4.
I don’t think we need a coach tbh, sat on the bench glaring his displeasure at another balls up. What we need is someone experienced on the field marshalling the defence - oh for a Waggy, Davy Weir or Gough character (in their playing prime, obvs)

I don’t think we need a coach tbh, sat on the bench glaring his displeasure at another balls up. What we need is someone experienced on the field marshalling the defence - oh for a Waggy, Davy Weir or Gough character (in their playing prime, obvs)
Well, it’s clear we don’t have an effective defensive coach at the minute.

Agree re the onfield organiser though. A leader beside Mina next year is sorely needed.

See above. I really rate Arteta and Fellaini, great players. But signing those players is very different to signing Lukaku. When we signed Lukaku, people were shocked because they didn't think we were capable of attracting a player who had already bagged over 30 premier league goals in the last two seasons.

Like him or loathe him, Martinez played a pretty big part in that.

Remembering reading an interview where Benetez said most of his gameplan against us was to deny Arteta the ball as he was the one guy they feared. If you let him run the show you don't have a chance.

Fellani, he was just an odd player. If you look at our records against the top 5 when he was a starter I think its quite good, as he was often the best player on the pitch those days. Unfortunately he often looked like a liability against the likes of Stoke and West Brom.

Moyes did sign Yak, who I think bagged over 30 the 2 seasons beforehand and concequencely had his best club in 2007-08 when Yak was scoring for fun. Whether its his fault or the board's fault bringing in band-aid CFs over his time is probably the reason we didn't break the top 4/win a cup.

Moyes also managed in a different era, where clubs let go of their guys who either fell out of favor (arteta), where in the championship (lescott-Cahill) or didn't play much (Peanuts) were sold for peanuts. In the loan 100 players out era this just doesn't happen anymore. If a big club buys say a 30M player and he's a bust they are going to demand around 30M for that player.

Or as Defensive Consultant under Silva.

Not really though, I’m too petty to ever want him back at the club even though he would do a job organising the back 4.
I have left the pettiness behind and would take him back in sort of non-managerial role no problem.

Let’s not re-write history here. He deserves a lot of credit for what he did, but he thought he was Everton itself towards the end of his tenure. How the Board let him do what he would never let his playing staff do, in running his contract down to advertise his availability on a free was a disgrace. No way would he let a first team player do what he did and let the contract run down to the final months and walk away with the club getting nothing. Double standards, absolutely. He saw himself as bigger than the Club and that was his undoing. He was on a dream ticket, a Board appreciative of stability and a fanbase accepting his view we could only be the best of the rest. He’d still be here today if his arrogance hadn’t got the better of him.

It was an abdication of responsibility from Kenwright to let him do what he did, he was an employee of the Club and if he wouldn’t sign an extension there should have been a clear succession. Done well in parts, but fielding a team of reserves at Anfield in the Derby because we had a quarter final at home v Sunderland at home on Saturday said it all for me - a game we then drew having been humiliated at the hands of a bang average Liverpool team midweek. He ended up being too scared to lose and thought a draw was a decent result. I remember the good times and thank him for introducing a stubbornness and desire that saw us difficult to beat, but the lack of swagger and confidence would never see progress to what we wanted to be. And what we still strive for. At the end of the day, I reckon the regrets are more his than ours. Everton was the pinnacle of his career, he isn’t the pinnacle of ours. That’s the difference.

I don't miss bringing in John Heitinga for Phil Neville at defensive midfield at minute 70 when we were losing a match. Not. At. All.

So how many of his big money (for the time) signings turned out to be absolute gash?
Kroldrup obviously, some would argue Beattie. I know the financial landscape has changed totally, but he didn’t go around trying to bankrupt the club by paying stupid sums of money for bang average players, a strategy which has got us nowhere.

Don’t forget, he was also shafted by Rooney on the eve of the 2005 season. Had Wayne stayed, who knows what he might have achieved?

So how many of his big money (for the time) signings turned out to be absolute gash?
Kroldrup obviously, some would argue Beattie. I know the financial landscape has changed totally, but he didn’t go around trying to bankrupt the club by paying stupid sums of money for bang average players, a strategy which has got us nowhere.

Don’t forget, he was also shafted by Rooney on the eve of the 2005 season. Had Wayne stayed, who knows what he might have achieved?

We somehow at least got 2-3M back for Kroldrup. Its funny all the neutral press releases I've read when we signed both him and VanDerMeyde were that we made 2 really good signings.

I think under Kenwright there was a deal that the transfer budget was going to be low but we'll resign the players that he brought in. We had a decent size wage bill which probably allowed us to keep our core a lot longer than most clubs. However some things we did were just reaked of cheapness. Donovan was in his prime, would have only cost us 10M US not to mention that RW was a black hole for us for a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.