The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted it elsewhere, but in the main Silvas signings have performed OK. We've had 4 different managers now who have all struggled to replace Lukaku, so far Silva has not had the funds to buy or loan a striker and I'm not surprised giving the likes of Tosun & Sandro earning an absolute fortune off the club.

If you take the Watford game alone, from the highlights I saw we had the better chances, both DCL and Tosun fluffed headers, Siggy and Digne hit the crossbar - I'm sure Silva and his team arent coaching the strikers we have to be a bit crap.

I've posted it elsewhere, but in the main Silvas signings have performed OK. We've had 4 different managers now who have all struggled to replace Lukaku, so far Silva has not had the funds to buy or loan a striker and I'm not surprised giving the likes of Tosun & Sandro earning an absolute fortune off the club.

If you take the Watford game alone, from the highlights I saw we had the better chances, both DCL and Tosun fluffed headers, Siggy and Digne hit the crossbar - I'm sure Silva and his team arent coaching the strikers we have to be a bit crap.

Marco Silva says he is tired of being told he must buy a striker for Everton

This means we were consistent in picking bad managers...

So the answer is to do that again? Guys like Richarlison have said how highly they rate Silva, so if we did sack him then we would quite probably lose him, maybe Gomes, Mina et al too. Chuck in Zouma, and that's a decent chunk of the 1st team that would need replacing, resulting in yet more churn, and that's before you get into players the new manager likes (or dislikes from the current squad).

There comes a time when you've just got to take a deep breath and give a manager time. If there are things that encouraged us to go with this bloke six months ago, then those things won't have vanished, so either we trust in our recruitment or we surely have to scrap the way we're recruiting managers?

What if Marco Silva has a case to be backed for next season? There are fundamental issues in the team which would need to be worked upon over the summer such as set pieces but generally speaking, here is the case FOR Marco Silva. (Does not reflect my own personal views)

Loan players

everton have 7 first team players out on loan this season, probably more if some have slipped my mind. It's fair to say most of them wouldn't improve us if they were available and only really vlasic and onykerwu having the case to be part of the team. But generally speaking, these players on loan are crippling the wage bill so it restricts what the club could have done in the market, making January signings impossible. Once all have been shipped out then we could see a lot more business being done. That and the side point of so many 'first team's players out the club is a massive chunk of a squad.

Underperforming/ wrong fit players

There are many players in the squad that simply don't fit or just aren't good enough that are classed as part of the first team squad. We can list them as an opinion but it's obvious how many players just aren't good enough in there or simply don't perform. By my count I can list at least 9 , which is again a massive chunk of the squad that either underperform or aren't options to use. So potentially just over a third of the available squad won't play or won't perform if played. That is a massive handicap for a manager who needs to change things

Senior players underperforming

following on from the above, how many senior players just aren't there for the team? Baines, jagielka , Coleman , Schneiderlin, Walcott alone are all massively underperforming or simply not good enough. 3 of those are captains when available which considering the lack of leadership on the pitch, it's another handicap to not have these players to rely on when things aren't going well. It leaves us without a natural captain on the pitch when those 3 are earmarked for the role.

lack of striker

This was a problem last season but recently it's really shown itself . We have no striker at the club to perform the role effectively enough. Lewen and tosun aren't good enough it's fair to say and that is where it's a hindrance for any manager . Against Watford both of them missed from less than 10 yards out, one would have counted but the point being if you have strikers who miss from that range when you really need a goal then what can a manager really do to win games? Most club's have at least one player who they can rely on in the box , we haven't had one for 2 seasons now.

Coaching staff

it's fair to say again we have never had a complete overhaul of our coaching staff since Moyes left. The manager brings his trusted allies in but on the training pitch and throughout the club the coaches have stayed the same. Perhaps this needs to be looked at and changed to see overall improvements throughout the team?
You've assumed we can ship these players on loan out. Not happening or it would have happened already. Their wages are too high and performances too crap for anyone to want to buy them

Silva doesn't bear any responsibility for underperforming players?

We had no striker last season and Allardyce still managed enough results to bring us from 13th to 8th. He worked with what he had and delivered. Silva hasn't. Silva also has had a 45 million pound signing scoring 1 in 2 and even Sigurdsson scoring more than double he did last season and we are still crap.

As far as the coaches, he brought in his own squad of first team coaches and you guessed it, we've been crap.

None of your arguments convince me.

Or maybe stop employing turd managers. The koeman one was the biggest laugh. I am convinced nobody looked at his managerial CV. Club after club failure. He was a name thats all. I still dont know how silva has got this job. He's done nothing to warrant it.
All for sticking with someone with a bit of a proven record whos done something. We keep going for managers who havent and then wonder why it goes pear shaped.
The thing with Koeman was when Usmanov & Moshiri were at Arsenal he was their fav choice to succeed Wenger and it remained with Moshiri when he bought us.
Granted it was the wrong choice but his performance at Southampton wasnt too bad at all

The thing with Koeman was when Usmanov & Moshiri were at Arsenal he was their fav choice to succeed Wenger and it remained with Moshiri when he bought us.
Granted it was the wrong choice but his performance at Southampton wasnt too bad at all

Wasting your time with this one pal. Not even worth mentioning he did ok in his first season.

Had had a bad 4 months, bought badly and was deemed garbage by most on here.

Silva is getting far more leeway despite looking equally as bad as Koeman did in his second season.

"Above expectations"

Teams Everton have beat this season.

Southampton, Rotherham, Fulham, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Cardiff, Burnley, Lincoln, Bournemouth, Huddersfield
Up to the derby we played 13 games and were beaten 4 times; we were 6th going into that derby on a run of picking up 16 points of the previous 21 available (including a well thought out and fought for draw at Chelsea) and playing football that had most making a favourable comparison with what'd gone before. I'd say going into the derby we'd played above expectation.

The real issue is not whether Silva has the strategic thinking to be a good PL manager, it's whether he has the ability to dig in and stop a downturn deepening - because it's happened elsewhere. That;s a conversation he needs to have with his DoF in the summer when they assess what needs to be done here in terms of his own personal development. The DoF also has to inform Silva what he's going to do recruitment wise to lay the foundations for that development and make it a reality.

Last edited:
You've assumed we can ship these players on loan out. Not happening or it would have happened already. Their wages are too high and performances too crap for anyone to want to buy them

Silva doesn't bear any responsibility for underperforming players?

We had no striker last season and Allardyce still managed enough results to bring us from 13th to 8th. He worked with what he had and delivered. Silva hasn't. Silva also has had a 45 million pound signing scoring 1 in 2 and even Sigurdsson scoring more than double he did last season and we are still crap.

As far as the coaches, he brought in his own squad of first team coaches and you guessed it, we've been crap.

None of your arguments convince me.
Sadly under current circumstances they were not designed to convince, but merely to offer a different perspective.

Despite all I have said, if Silva can't stop us losing then I can't back him. Even average managers go back to basics when in current scenarios like this.

And fwiw I think most would agree that the new signings have, overall, done well.

Digne has been the player of the season for us by far.

Gomes was ace when he first came in. Poor then shown some green shoots of recovery. Not good enough yet though.

Richarlison - God forbid where we'd be without his goals, even though he has a lot to work on.

Bernard - Shown flashes.

Mina - I think we've looked by far our most solid with him in the side.

Zouma - Don't think he's as good as some make out and I'd say he's been the most disappointing of them all purely as he keeps making the same mistakes over and over. When he's played well though, he has been good.
I think before we get rid of the manager we have to get rid of all the overpaid squad players first. There's no point repeating this cycle. New manager will have same problems

Up to the derby we played 13 games and were beaten 4 times; we were 6th going into that derby on a run of picking up 16 points of the previous 21 available (including a well thought out and fought for draw at Chelsea) and playing football that had most making a favourable comparison with what'd gone before. I'd say going into the derby we'd played above expectation.

The real issue is not whether Silva has the strategic thinking to be a good PL manager, it's whether he has the ability to dig in and stop a downturn deepening - because it's happened elsewhere. That;s a conversation he needs to have with his DoF in the summer when they assess what needs to be done here in terms of his own personal development. The DoF also has to inform Silva what he's going to do recruitment wise to lay the foundations for that development and make it a reality.

This squad is not playing above expectation by any means before December. You are just popping Chinese propaganda everyday with the same excuses repeated a dozen times per day in this forum without placing a single fault on Silva. He is absolutely not responsible for anything in your eyes.

We are playing well back then but to say we over perform means everything now is consider acceptable. With such mentality, it’s no surprise you can accept our current form as a pinch of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.