If Silva is sacked - who could/should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder for those who are calling for Arteta... we're Everton, an established Premier League top half club. Not a Spanish second division team or League One/Championship side, which is where Arteta should be starting out.
While this might be true, we should also be well out of the reach of a total no mark like Silva. Everyone knew Sam was going, did any quality managers come forward? I doubt it, we just don't have the lure we think we have.
Seems even Leeds, a championship side were more attractive in the summer then Everton.

While this might be true, we should also be well out of the reach of a total no mark like Silva. Everyone knew Sam was going, did any quality managers come forward? I doubt it, we just don't have the lure we think we have.
Seems even Leeds, a championship side were more attractive in the summer then Everton.

It wasn't anything to do with the club being attractive to a manager - it was Moshiri being clueless about football, setting his target and going for it no matter what. He wanted Silva, he got Silva.

That's an admirable quality to be honest, but when it's guided by having no knowledge about the subject matter whatsoever, it's also a liability.

There's not many managers in world football we couldn't attract. The elite few we can't, but beyond that we offer wages that 99% of clubs in world football can't compete with, in the most popular league in the world.

It wasn't anything to do with the club being attractive to a manager - it was Moshiri being clueless about football, setting his target and going for it no matter what. He wanted Silva, he got Silva.

That's an admirable quality to be honest, but when it's guided by having no knowledge about the subject matter whatsoever, it's also a liability.

There's not many managers in world football we couldn't attract. The elite few we can't, but beyond that we offer wages that 99% of clubs in world football can't compete with, in the most popular league in the world.

When was the last time Everton went and got a top manager? A manager who had won something as manager or competed at the highest level for a period prior Everton?...

Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva.

*shudders.

When was the last time Everton went and got a top manager? A manager who had won something as manager or competed at the highest level for a period prior Everton?...

Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva.

*shudders.

Bizarrely though, in all those cases we've actually went out and got our number one target.

So it's a problem with the club in terms of strategy IMO.

Bizarrely though, in all those cases we've actually went out and got our number one target.

So it's a problem with the club in terms of strategy IMO.

The shortlist has always been pitiful though.

Koeman also wasn't the top target. It was Emery (and Simeone lol), we just festered on Koeman for too long.

I think another question could be when were Everton last a top club?

And it'll remain that way until we appoint a top high profile manager, or get lucky with a low profile - Martinez, Silva style appointment.

The shortlist has always been pitiful though.

View attachment 54088
Koeman also wasn't the top target. It was Emery (and Simeone lol), we just festered on Koeman for too long.

And it'll remain that way until we appoint a top high profile manager, or get lucky with a low profile - Martinez, Silva style appointment.
But I don't think we Can attract a top quality manager. So it has to be the other route for me.

But I don't think we Can attract a top quality manager. So it has to be the other route for me.
I've said this previously. With the money that Moshiri has brought in came raised expectations, which may simply be unrealistic - or at least they currently are.

People have talked about Conte and Mourinho as potential targets, although have both divided opinions, but in reality I don't think we could get them if we wanted.

Agreed. But who can we attract now.
We are at a lower ebb now then we were back then.

As far as I can see we are still as @Tubey said one of a few clubs in world football who can offer big wages and play in the PL.

Southampton were 18th and paying less in wages yet got Hassenhuttl in who was highly rated in Germany.

Maybe if the fanbase had expectation and demanded the best the message would seep through media channels to the club?

Instead half our fanbase make ready made excuses:

"ah we cant attract any better than Watfords sacked manager"

"Unsy should get the job he gets us"

"Give Moyes the job"

And people wonder why our board take the pee out of us.

Or we could always give Silva some time? He's had 6 months. I think that the demand for instant success with the consequence of dismissal if it is not forthcoming is stupid, shortsighted and not beneficial to EFC.

As far as I can see we are still as @Tubey said one of a few clubs in world football who can offer big wages and play in the PL.

Southampton were 18th and paying less in wages yet got Hassenhuttl in who was highly rated in Germany.

Maybe if the fanbase had expectation and demanded the best the message would seep through media channels to the club?

Instead half our fanbase make ready made excuses:

"ah we cant attract any better than Watfords sacked manager"

"Unsy should get the job he gets us"

"Give Moyes the job"

And people wonder why our board take the pee out of us.
In all fairness mate hassenhutl was not a big name. If we appointed him if guess half our fan base would never have heard of him.

In all fairness mate hassenhutl was not a big name. If we appointed him if guess half our fan base would never have heard of him.

He built a strong young side at Leipzig and guided them to a 2nd place finish in the Bunderliga. He's not a top manager however they shown ambition getting him over the usual dour suspects and hes currently doing a decent job there with awful players (have also beat Arsenal)

I dont think we could attract a Mourinho however we could easily appoint a manager with a history of trophy success and/or strong league performances in competitive leagues.

Going for Alladyce and Silva were shambolic appointments but the fans allow it to happen as our expectations are so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.