Managers within our reach

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will finish between 14th and 18th!
Not winning a single match until the end of the season. Perhaps 2 or 3 draws!
Take your everton glasses off. WE are , behind Huddersfield, the worst team in the premiership.
You have to be blind not to see these. If Silva stays we have an above average chance to go down!

!!!!!!

Well, I think in both those cases I can quite easily point to several transfers that say otherwise.

Arsenal (whose DoF is of course leaving this week) - Denis Suarez, allowing Ramsey to leave (Emery doesn't want to give a big deal to a 28-yr-old).

Chelsea - Higuain (he's 31, no chance he'd be there if Sarri hadn't pushed for it), Jorginho (again, a huge push from Sarri for the deal).

I dunno. It just seems that from everything that's said, Silva is highly thought of as a coach. It's his organisational/structural set up that seems to be the issue...
...what more is to coaching then?

Oh, and add fitness, passing, setting up defensively and working off the ball to his list of "issues"

Well you can see the patterns he’s shown across his managerial career such as set piece goals conceded etc. and at the end of the day maybe you just have to concede it’s a coaching problem.

I want someone that’s on the training pitch every day, picks the team, motivates the players, makes changes during the match. That is all I want his remit to be.

This is Silva's remit.

He just isn't doing it very well at the moment.

And our players aren't very good.

@riddick

We saw a good manager on Saturday...I’d take the Wolves manager. Talks sense, seems a decent bloke, his players obviously play for him, and his tactics look pretty good. He might be able to get our squad performing better than they are.
Thankfully Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff, Burnley and Southampton are struggling so we should survive even though we appear to be in free fall, but this season is a total write off by the looks of it.

We need a coach not a manager.

Agree with this.

Brands as DoF should in essence be defining the footballing strategy and philosophy of the club at all levels.

You basically then need someone to come in and coach to the team. That coach needs to have a shared philosophy on how the game is played with Brands. It means that if you need to sack the head coach you get someone else in who has a similar footballing style and can easily adapt to the squad at their disposal.

If Silva is sacked I'd expect another head coach appointment in the mould of Silva. If we moved away from this and got in, for argument's sake, someone like LvG then I'd be worried about the direction of the club.

We saw a good manager on Saturday...I’d take the Wolves manager.

I think we need to stay away from flavour of the month managers, we're making fools of ourselves with the hiring and firing, I'd like to think that Brands has already got his eye on a couple of potential managers to call if the time comes and not just have a knee jerk reaction and throw everything at the latest buzz name

We saw a good manager on Saturday...I’d take the Wolves manager. Talks sense, seems a decent bloke, his players obviously play for him, and his tactics look pretty good. He might be able to get our squad performing better than they are.
Thankfully Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff, Burnley and Southampton are struggling so we should survive even though we appear to be in free fall, but this season is a total write off by the looks of it.

Genuine question but why's he leaving Wolves to join us?

Wolves have a decent ground, good supporter base and seem to be able to keep and attract pretty good players (probably through their links with Mendes). He's also built up a well of support and goodwill in getting them promoted to the Premier league and then potentially getting them 7th and European football.

Why would he give that up for what is a poisoned chalice in terms of Premier League manager jobs?

I think we need to stay away from flavour of the month managers, we're making fools of ourselves with the hiring and firing, I'd like to think that Brands has already got his eye on a couple of potential managers to call if the time comes and not just have a knee jerk reaction and throw everything at the latest buzz name
That’s a fair point but I’d counter that by saying that wolves looked good getting promoted and still look good, several months into the season. Silva was a flavour of the month as he’s had about one good month in the premier league before he got to us.
I think we’re not going to attract a so-called top manager in our current state.

Genuine question but why's he leaving Wolves to join us?

Wolves have a decent ground, good supporter base and seem to be able to keep and attract pretty good players (probably through their links with Mendes). He's also built up a well of support and goodwill in getting them promoted to the Premier league and then potentially getting them 7th and European football.

Why would he give that up for what is a poisoned chalice in terms of Premier League manager jobs?
He probably wouldn’t give that up for us mate, but we should aspire to someone like that rather than someone who is unemployed for a reason maybe.

Agree with this.

Brands as DoF should in essence be defining the footballing strategy and philosophy of the club at all levels.

You basically then need someone to come in and coach to the team. That coach needs to have a shared philosophy on how the game is played with Brands. It means that if you need to sack the head coach you get someone else in who has a similar footballing style and can easily adapt to the squad at their disposal.

If Silva is sacked I'd expect another head coach appointment in the mould of Silva. If we moved away from this and got in, for argument's sake, someone like LvG then I'd be worried about the direction of the club.

Yeh, well said. I think it’s more pertinent now than ever that Silva was essentially hired before Brands.

He probably wouldn’t give that up for us mate, but we should aspire to someone like that rather than someone who is unemployed for a reason maybe.

I agree.

He'd defo be a good manager to have. The challenge is identifying these managers with promise before they are out of reach.

We obviously thought Silva was one of these managers that was about to blossom. Maybe he isn't.

I'd rather take the risk on a unproven but promising manager like we did with Silva, Martinez and Moyes than go for the likes of Allardyce.

Eddie Howe looks the obvious candidate in the Premier League. Though I do wonder about David Wagner. The job he did at Huddersfield was brilliant despite them looking like relegation certainties at the moment.

Outside of the Premier League then Farke at Norwich is doing a very good job. In the Bundesliga I'd say Adits Hutter is doing a good job after winning a league previously with BSC Young Boys. Not sure there's anyone in Ligue 1 worth looking at. Quique Setien at Real Betis is an intriguing manager. Though at 60 it's probably not the right time for him to join the Premier League.

Reactions: Loz
I agree.

He'd defo be a good manager to have. The challenge is identifying these managers with promise before they are out of reach.

We obviously thought Silva was one of these managers that was about to blossom. Maybe he isn't.

I'd rather take the risk on a unproven but promising manager like we did with Silva, Martinez and Moyes than go for the likes of Allardyce.

Eddie Howe looks the obvious candidate in the Premier League. Though I do wonder about David Wagner. The job he did at Huddersfield was brilliant despite them looking like relegation certainties at the moment.

Outside of the Premier League then Farke at Norwich is doing a very good job. In the Bundesliga I'd say Adits Hutter is doing a good job after winning a league previously with BSC Young Boys. Not sure there's anyone in Ligue 1 worth looking at. Quique Setien at Real Betis is an intriguing manager. Though at 60 it's probably not the right time for him to join the Premier League.
That was more to do with what he had to work with though, i can't think attracting players there is easy either. There is something about Wagner i do agree, although there is no way i could be arsed with that whole Wagner/Klopp thing that would happen on derby day, it would be so tedious and tacky

Status
Not open for further replies.