• I’m a fence sitting kenwright lover

Votes: 62 5.5%
  • Didn’t want him in the first place

Votes: 187 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear we may be the next Villa. I hope not. We'll only attract players who don't want to be here for vast wages if we have the stability of the same manager. Before December he was doing alright. We just need to rediscover that form again.

He needs another summer to clear out our dross, only then can we really assess where this club is going. Hopefully that's not going to be too late.
Some might say the way he sets the team up is making players appear to be dross...or in some (many?) cases, even, hard as that might be to Imagine, drosser than they actually are.

I agree with this but you are missing something. Moyes had already proved he could finish well as the season before we finished 7th. I remember that season we finished 17th. Rooney in my opinion was unsettling the dressing room. I distinctly remember never being concerned we would go down cos Moyes always would turn a bad run around. He was strong willed.

Under Allardyce we finished 8th. He turned a bad run around after Xmas with arguably a poorer side. He showed resilience and found a way to get the team winning again. I believe Sam would have us higher right now. I understand why he wasn't liked and did not fit our club and fully accept it. However due to Moshiri and his billions a large section of the fan base now have huge expectations. Sam was never fashionable enough to fit into this new template. We need Continental glamour with Brazilians running round the pitch!

I don't have confidence Silva can turn around bad runs. I really hope I'm wrong and made to look a fool. There's just no resilience in this side. Moyes would've rollocked his team for not giving enough. He was a tough manager. Okay he bottled it at times but you know what I'm saying. I struggle to imagine Marco raising his voice to this lot. He appears dour. I can't understand a word he says at press conferences. Maybe he's just to cool for school. I want to hear his plan to turn this around but between the silence and broken English I'm non plussed.

Cmon Marco prove me wrong. I'm happy to look like a fool just to get back to winning ways again.
A niff of Moyes revisionism...and what's worse, coupled with Allardyce apologism there mate.
But...

I too have little faith in Silva, Moshiri is starting to worry me
I'll give Brands a 'Not Proven' as the Moshiri / Silva deal was unofficially / officially done and dusted the day Watford sacked Silva and thus before Brands was on deck.

How long would I give Silva?
Well he can't live in a total vacuum (can he, or do they all?)
He must see that this zonal marking / not practicing deadball defending is the one of the main causes of results like Millwall.
With all due respect to Huddersfield, they're only a Millwall who got lucky...twice, once getting promoted, second staying up.
If they apply Millwall 101 tactics...and why wouldn't you if you were them...and win - or even draw or lose, thusways expose that the lesson has not been heeded and that shight defending twice in 4 days is still Silva's prefered method, then he has to go.
There and then in the tunnel if need be, in the taxi for historic karmatical resonance reasons, whatever - just no longer in charge of overall team matters...gardening leave.
There are (or should be) enough assistant coaches, with coaching tickets up the wazoo to put out cones and run a few deadball free kick drills...if there arent, well 'k me, sack the lot, I'll pay my own fare and do it for free.
Soz mate went into rant mode there for a minute.

As a non-Toffee visitor to your quality forum, a genuine question to the 45% loyal to Silva in the poll:

I presume that means you’d rather see dramatic changes to the squad in the summer instead, so which players do you need to get rid of, post season?

In my opinion at this time:

Digne + Richarlison are unsellable except for massive money. Totally ridiculous fees.

Pickford + DCL + Lookman we need to step up a level before the end of the season.

The rest of them can be sold.

Thats the laughable thing, alot of fans want a new manager to come in when all evidence (Mourinho/Klopp/Pep etc) tells us that managers need time to build winning teams.

At the moment we have players in their 30s (jagielka/baines) on big money but not in the team and others on even bigger money who dont fit the system or arent good enough (bolasie schneiderlin gana sigurdsson coleman etc).

By 2021 we will have 23 players whose contract will have expired. Another 12 players in 2022.

What we will have is a gradual rebuild over the next 2 summers and then big changes in 2021 and even bigger in 2022.

People need to have patience.

Unless we can sack the board and players as well, what is the point in getting rid of silva?
Preface - I don't think he should be sacked now. That would be ridiculous and send the wrong message.
Every manager should get a season to prove himself, to be assessed by board and supporters.

But the manager's position is very different from the board or players.
He steps into the role as leader of club and community.

What happens on the pitch each week is how the club is foremost represented, and he is responsible for and in control of that.
Sure the players, board, staff, volunteers have an impact on this, but at the end of the day this is circumstance he should either benefit from or lead and overcome, to do both.

You could argue that this club is better represented by the good work it does in the community. No doubt about it.
But think this is really the soul of the club rather than its representation.
It is first and foremost a football club, where the football on the pitch would ideally represents its soul.
This might translate as a bit airy fairy, but
Football is a game, a battle, a contest; both of conflict and creativity, of tactics and passion, of art and destruction, of control and liberty.
The good work the community does has meant the club has successfully walked the line between life's order and chaos.
The aim should be for the football to walk this line as well.

I think a central problem of where football has headed is the eroding of the authority and control of the 'coach'.
Its become more business and less club. Add to this the traditional power structures of tribe and the mix is not good.

It should be about the level of competence, spirit and passion which manifest itself on the pitch week in week out, all this within a sense of play.
With the leader at the coalface, constructing the 'battle' plans, motivating, teaching, guiding, directing.
The rest should be in a position of support all aimed at enhancing this.
The manager should be the lead, not subjugated to all around him.
The board only has one job in this regard, setting the guidelines and competencies and electing its club leader. Then it devolves to a position of assessing and support.

Managers these days are in a ridiculous position.
And there should be serious questions asked about what this club is and where its heading.
But as things are and being what it is, the game continues to be played.

Where things are at - the succession of counterpoints of the 80s, Moyes era, and the false dawns - it may be hard to find a manger that's going to liberate us from this and mid table mediocrity. But this shouldn't deter from the search.
Its a leader the club needs, first and foremost.

A niff of Moyes revisionism...and what's worse, coupled with Allardyce apologism there mate.
But...

I'll give Brands a 'Not Proven' as the Moshiri / Silva deal was unofficially / officially done and dusted the day Watford sacked Silva and thus before Brands was on deck.

He must see that this zonal marking / not practicing deadball defending is the one of the main causes of results like Millwall.
With all due respect to Huddersfield, they're only a Millwall who got lucky...twice, once getting promoted, second staying up.
If they apply Millwall 101 tactics...and why wouldn't you if you were them...and win - or even draw or lose, thusways expose that the lesson has not been heeded and that shight defending twice in 4 days is still Silva's prefered method, then he has to go.
There and then in the tunnel if need be, in the taxi for historic karmatical resonance reasons, whatever - just no longer in charge of overall team matters...gardening leave.
There are (or should be) enough assistant coaches, with coaching tickets up the wazoo to put out cones and run a few deadball free kick drills...if there arent, well 'k me, sack the lot, I'll pay my own fare and do it for free.

Great post, Degs. ;)

But...

I quite honestly do not think he sees that as a problem at all but points the finger at the players.

A lot of people on here mentioning Eddie Howe. Certainly not !!!!! Would carry no clout, authority or respect from a decent senior squad that we have here. ANOTHER Silva. Done nowt in football. Won nowt in football.
Blimey, he carried a cash strapped side from bottom to safe in the top.

Funnily enough I do agree he's not for us but his record is awesome, bar FA cup league or league cup.

But...

Why is Moyes disliked? He did great for us, with ZERO cash and by and large did well with transfers. We made money on lescott, fellaini, roo,, Barkley etc.

The discipline in his side nearly got Martinez into CL (not that Moyes was about to snap up Lukaku).

The problem at the moment is the players... Silva can't do anything once they cross the white line. I imagine he spent the week preparing for the Millwall match telling them not to give away cheap free kicks... and they did just the opposite!

At the minute I'd expect him to be sacked in the summer.

It's completely irrelevant who our manager is between now and May. There is nothing to play for. Not even pride to be honest. The derby is the only match where there is something on the line. Winning a couple of games does very little, although it would obviously be nice.

I need to see signs of flexibility and mental toughness from the manager. At the minute there is nothing. Just the same thing being tried week on week leading to the same errors and frustrations week on week.

Why is Moyes disliked? He did great for us, with ZERO cash and by and large did well with transfers. We made money on lescott, fellaini, roo,, Barkley etc.

The discipline in his side nearly got Martinez into CL (not that Moyes was about to snap up Lukaku).

Put a few noses out of joint in the meeja by getting in with the top 6 too often. Flavours of the month like Villa and Spurs kept finishing behind plucky little Everton. Therefore they portrayed him as a football dinosaur and managed to brainwash large swathes of the fan base into believing that finishing regularly in European places on a minimal spend was par for the course and that routine home wins were boring because they weren’t by 4 or 5. ‘Dithering Dave’ they called him.

One look at the carnage that has followed shows how utterly stupid that entire school of thought was. How people laughed at the man who thought carefully about transfers, cast out players who wouldn’t follow instructions, and drilled set pieces properly. The drill sergeant, the PE teacher, ha ha ha, look how hipster we all are having a laugh at Moyes.

None of them are laughing now after the procession of clowns that have followed. If any of them even came close to equalling what Moyes did the fan base would be in raptures now.

Put a few noses out of joint in the meeja by getting in with the top 6 too often. Flavours of the month like Villa and Spurs kept finishing behind plucky little Everton. Therefore they portrayed him as a football dinosaur and managed to brainwash large swathes of the fan base into believing that finishing regularly in European places on a minimal spend was par for the course and that routine home wins were boring because they weren’t by 4 or 5. ‘Dithering Dave’ they called him.

One look at the carnage that has followed shows how utterly stupid that entire school of thought was. How people laughed at the man who thought carefully about transfers, cast out players who wouldn’t follow instructions, and drilled set pieces properly. The drill sergeant, the PE teacher, ha ha ha, look how hipster we all are having a laugh at Moyes.

None of them are laughing now after the procession of clowns that have followed. If any of them even came close to equalling what Moyes did the fan base would be in raptures now.

I misread that and by 'the carnage that followed' I thought you meant Moyes career after he betrayed us and left his cushy number at Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.