• I’m a fence sitting kenwright lover

Votes: 62 5.5%
  • Didn’t want him in the first place

Votes: 187 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, because this will just carry on happening until we drag ourselves down.

In a different manager climate, Moyes almost did exactly that in his second season, we stuck by him because we couldn't afford to do anything else, but the stability that followed can't be overlooked.

Furthermore Moshiri will be well aware that questions will start to be asked about his credentials if he keeps twisting and getting it wrong.

Let's also not forget, a lot of this mess can still be attributed to the legacy of Steve Walsh.
I agree with this but you are missing something. Moyes had already proved he could finish well as the season before we finished 7th. I remember that season we finished 17th. Rooney in my opinion was unsettling the dressing room. I distinctly remember never being concerned we would go down cos Moyes always would turn a bad run around. He was strong willed.

Under Allardyce we finished 8th. He turned a bad run around after Xmas with arguably a poorer side. He showed resilience and found a way to get the team winning again. I believe Sam would have us higher right now. I understand why he wasn't liked and did not fit our club and fully accept it. However due to Moshiri and his billions a large section of the fan base now have huge expectations. Sam was never fashionable enough to fit into this new template. We need Continental glamour with Brazilians running round the pitch!

I don't have confidence Silva can turn around bad runs. I really hope I'm wrong and made to look a fool. There's just no resilience in this side. Moyes would've rollocked his team for not giving enough. He was a tough manager. Okay he bottled it at times but you know what I'm saying. I struggle to imagine Marco raising his voice to this lot. He appears dour. I can't understand a word he says at press conferences. Maybe he's just to cool for school. I want to hear his plan to turn this around but between the silence and broken English I'm non plussed.

Cmon Marco prove me wrong. I'm happy to look like a fool just to get back to winning ways again.

Last edited:
It is said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

Well, we’ve tried Zonal Marking, it hasn’t worked but we will no doubt do it again in our next match, with exactly the same results. We’ve tried playing without a recognised Striker and will do so again. We have a good group of players, better than for many a year, I just wish we would prepare and use them correctly.....
Are they that good though? I'm starting to wonder.

Its not such a perfect record although there was only one Howard.

Our most successful manager ever, did have an absolutely glorious spell here as a manager but his subsequent spells on his return weren't so happy. It was also a different era when there wasn't a huge financial barrier between us and the likes of City, United or Chelsea, Liverpool too now are far, far wealthier, even Arsenal.

Finance like it or not will put limits on our ambitions, and is why perhaps Spurs achievements, although no cups, but just on even being up there so consistently and regularly achieving Champions League on a far smaller budget, more akin to ours, is so meritorious.

Joe Royle won our last trophy but at the same time he very nearly took us down too and was generally a disastrous manager for me.

OGS at Utd has to now be in pole position to take the job permanently but United would still be wise not to leave a definite decision until later.

There are so many points now in Solskjaer's favour that it is looking with every game that he now has be their man.

He's shown adaptability and tactical awareness in both setting them up and the game plan.

He's extremely popular with their fanbase and knows United the club, their traditions and philosophy as regards the playing style and attacking football.

Tactically against Spurs and Friday night against Arsenal he showed excellent awareness of just where to hit the opposition targeting their weakest links, Friday for me was a more complete performance than the Spurs one, the latter really could have won easily but for de Gea.

So it's sensible still for them to wait until far nearer the end of the season when he'll have months and months of solid work and possibly results behind him, but he couldn't have made a better start to the job.

Pochettino for me may still be their way to go if things don't go as well for OGS between now and April/May.

Spurs, as Arsenal did, have and will suffer from the huge burden of financing the building of a very large modern stadium in the capital, the expense and capital that soaks up is immense and has to be managed and spread over a long period.

They are not one of the richest clubs in England to start with, financially speaking they aren't even anything like as big as Arsenal were when they went through it. They have to operate a very strict wage structure and are comparatively low payers even for their top players. Poch has to a large extent performed a minor miracle to keep them anywhere near the top over recent years, its constantly an extraordinarily difficult balancing act.

He hasn't been one to complain overtly about the board, about the spending, about keeping his top players tied to contracts when they know they could get far far more with virtually any move anywhere, or more recently about the crushing injury list and no goalscorers available. Son goes to an Asian cup, its not another burden but an opportunity, the cover and reserve options such as Llorente are desperately poor too, nowhere near replacing like with like. To not bring it up as so many would, to virtually not complain at all, is a club owner's dream.

He has only recently started to offer hints on the lack of transfer activity at Spurs over a period being a drawback on ambition and the need to have a target and budget for it, where do they want to get? He may think his players are about to break ranks, there has been plenty of talk on Erikson, once one goes and contracts come up for renewal, it could lead to others.

He may now feel he's taken the club as far as it can go without strengthening, in other words new stadium or not, no spending will limit future progress.

United may find him far more willing to come than is generally expected, Levy will be difficult but it could be worth it.

Solskjaer right now, after Friday night, is definitely in pole position, but now isn't April or May, if then OGS can point to a lengthier and possibly sustained spell of success in his temporary role the clamour to make it permanent may well become unstoppable, but until then United won't be rushing to close other avenues down just yet.
Tremendous post. Puts the whole finance thing into perspective. When you see the grotesque wages the 4 or 5 richest clubs pay their players you wonder if there's any point anymore.

No, because this will just carry on happening until we drag ourselves down.

In a different manager climate, Moyes almost did exactly that in his second season, we stuck by him because we couldn't afford to do anything else, but the stability that followed can't be overlooked.

Furthermore Moshiri will be well aware that questions will start to be asked about his credentials if he keeps twisting and getting it wrong.

Let's also not forget, a lot of this mess can still be attributed to the legacy of Steve Walsh.
Ahh yes the mid table mediocrity argument.
Better the mediocrity you know than the one you don't.

We've been through the Moyes era. Sure, a lot of good times and players you could get behind.
But at the end of the day we got no further than early exits out of the europa league.
Is it mid table eternal or do we risk, for something more?

I suppose the real question is (in a completely different era of tactics, players and money to that of Moyes where you could safely tell his stoicism would ride through the storm): is Silva tactics/philosophy/approach going to not just weather the storm but rise up out of it.
Because if you don't think he can then surely you got to reckon this is not the right club for him, given where the club is at.

Ie this club will never find stability (in the stands) again until its had a proper go.
Its better to try and fail than never to have had a go.

And attributing the mess to guys like Walsh doesn't really say or answer anything in terms of Silva's own abilities.
If he can't get passed the legacies of Walsh with what he's got then he's not going to get past six or seventh spot.

I feel I can't say it often is enough. We rarely get a fair roll of the dice.. Let's be brutally honest. It could AND should have been 3-1 to us going into injury time on Saturday.. Two wrongs, a referee unwilling to bend to the obvious (you can bet he would have caved in with eight Liverpool players in his face) despite knowing he'd messed up badly early doors.

And now, despite Millwall's reputation (and our lack of one) the headlines seem to want to lump us in some sort of equal blame for the violence with the home fans literally lining up to have a pop BEFORE and AFTER.. And let's not even talk about the atrocious conditions or the lack of VAR availability.

I don't want to harp on about bad luck but when we've been denied a place in the FA Cup final (made worse knowing who benefitted that day) a chance of perhaps making the CL group stages and countless other examples, thanks to simply awful refereeing calls... Well there's only one conclusion.. We're ludicrously unfortunate.

I agree with this but you are missing something. Moyes had already proved he could finish well as the season before we finished 7th. I remember that season we finished 17th. Rooney in my opinion was unsettling the dressing room. I distinctly remember never being concerned we would go down cos Moyes always would turn a bad run around. He was strong willed.

Under Allardyce we finished 8th. He turned a bad run around after Xmas with arguably a poorer side. He showed resilience and found a way to get the team winning again. I believe Sam would have us higher right now. I understand why he wasn't liked and did not fit our club and fully accept it. However due to Moshiri and his billions a large section of the fan base now have huge expectations. Sam was never fashionable enough to fit into this new template. We need Continental glamour with Brazilians running round the pitch!

I don't have confidence Silva can turn around bad runs. I really hope I'm wrong and made to look a fool. There's just no resilience in this side. Moyes would've rollocked his team for not giving enough. He was a tough manager. Okay he bottled it at times but you know what I'm saying. I struggle to imagine Marco raising his voice to this lot. He appears dour. I can't understand a word he says at press conferences. Maybe he's just to cool for school. I want to hear his plan to turn this around but between the silence and broken English I'm non plussed.

Cmon Marco prove me wrong. I'm happy to look like a fool just to get back to winning ways again.
Spot on.

Id love to see Marco turn it around. Id love to be wrong on my thoughts on him when we first signed him. But so far hes basically doing exactly what he did at the last two places he was at. Both other tenures at teams went badly, which is why he got fired twice in 2 years, are we so surprised it looks like he could get himself fired 3 times in 3 years?

Thankfully we should have enough points at this stage, but over the past 10 matches including some woeful competition, we are averaging .8 points per match, which is relegation level play. And its not like signings such as Richarlison and Digne havnet been an upgrade over last years squad, yet its playing worse.

Am i frustrated as anyone ... we play nice football but our defence is all over the place at the moment

but i am willing to give silva another season definitely

As a non-Toffee visitor to your quality forum, a genuine question to the 45% loyal to Silva in the poll:

I presume that means you’d rather see dramatic changes to the squad in the summer instead, so which players do you need to get rid of, post season?

A lot of people on here mentioning Eddie Howe. Certainly not !!!!! Would carry no clout, authority or respect from a decent senior squad that we have here. ANOTHER Silva. Done nowt in football. Won nowt in football.

As a non-Toffee visitor to your quality forum, a genuine question to the 45% loyal to Silva in the poll:

I presume that means you’d rather see dramatic changes to the squad in the summer instead, so which players do you need to get rid of, post season?
The squad situation is complete mess, we need to get rid of 10 players just to bring in 3, we are going to be in a similar situation next season, regardless of who's in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.