January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's a bit of what you said the other day, that it's actually not that easy to improve on what we currently have. I would go as far as to say it's almost impossible to do so unless you have serious cash and a serious pull (we may have 1 of those 2). Ie a City may be able to pull a top draw centre forward in as they have a pull we don't.

This is where you're right to say the bedding in period makes sense. Buying players who will take time to get to know the league. Get that out of the way so we don't have another slow start. A lad like Lozano makes sense to try as he can have 3-4 months to get to know the league. While he is not an immediate improvement on Walcott once he's bedded in you sense he would be and probably like most of the lads who've come in he will make the place his own by March/April. It would probably be well timed for Theo to potentially move on at that point.

The other area I think we may look to do a bit is from unconventional (none European) leagues. Seen a lad from MLS linked, obviously the South American season is done. It's a good time to buy from those areas and think we may look at that.

What I can't see us doing is looking to spend a bundle on Premier League players or even out of the blue names who are with settled European teams who wish to keep them. The talk of lads like Wilson, Zaha etc I just can't see.

I think theres 2 things to look at here;

1 -- Upgrading existing players

2 -- Adding top quality depth who can compete.

We have seen against both the RS and Newcastle that one or two (or more!) players can have an off day and so we need to be in a position where we can turn to the bench for strong options.

Contrary to others views, I dont think it will cost a huge amount to reach the next level in terms of upgrading players.

In the first 11 we could upgrade on Keane, Coleman, Gana, Walcott and need a centre forward of course.

Lookman for example could quite easily be an upgrade on Walcott (his stats against newcastle were better than anything produced by Walcott all season aside from a goal/assist). I'd say that someone like Militao could be brought in to add competition and cement either a RB/CB role and so for £20mil would kill two birds with one stone.

We also have a heck of a lot of players still to be sold and i'd say Schneiderlin, McCarthy and Besic would add a tasty pot as a foundation for a centre midfielder...not to mention Tosun, Walcott and Niasse for another attacker.

Lozano would be a massive immediate improvement on Walcott but I think it will be most interesting if we improve on the forward line (2 players) or mixed (1 forward and 1 defensive)...

South American market is open, the european leagues have teams who have been knocked out of the champions league (PSV/Brugge etc) and Id like to see us bring in 2 players at a minimum.

Cant discount the bedding in period for foreign players over the second half of the season. I think it will be crucial to making a strong start next season and also adds value depth on our run in.

Is it worth spending £40mil in Jan to improve from 7th to 6th? I'd say its very important that we aim to finish as high as we can this season so that next we have the confidence to chase down the top 4.

I'm still not 100% sure we need anything.....*waits for people to fume*..... right now.

Realistically this season is going about as well as it can be. We're not going to win anything (unless some miracle happens in the FA Cup which our current squad could win with a bit of fortune going our way). We don't need to push on yet.

In the summer though, I feel we need a fair bit then to have a real go next season after this transition type season.

I'd be content enough with a perm for gomes and maybe a deal or two agreed for a player in the summer like the RS did dirk Keita... Just pick a better players obvs.

Of course we'd all love a 30 goal striker, a powerful centre mid and a goalscoring winger, but if we get all that now, come the summer we have mirallas, Bolasie, Sandro, Vlasic, Onyekuru all coming back for those wing spots. It'd be better to shift those first 3 before we start buying another winger imo.

I'd be content enough with a perm for gomes and maybe a deal or two agreed for a player in the summer like the RS did dirk Keita... Just pick a better players obvs.

Of course we'd all love a 30 goal striker, a powerful centre mid and a goalscoring winger, but if we get all that now, come the summer we have mirallas, Bolasie, Sandro, Vlasic, Onyekuru all coming back for those wing spots. It'd be better to shift those first 3 before we start buying another winger imo.

I doubt any of those are coming back the. Vlasic maybe.

We have seen against both the RS and Newcastle that one or two (or more!) players can have an off day and so we need to be in a position where we can turn to the bench for strong options.

Contrary to others views, I dont think it will cost a huge amount to reach the next level in terms of upgrading players.

In the first 11 we could upgrade on Keane, Coleman, Gana, Walcott and need a centre forward of course.

Lookman for example could quite easily be an upgrade on Walcott (his stats against newcastle were better than anything produced by Walcott all season aside from a goal/assist). I'd say that someone like Militao could be brought in to add competition and cement either a RB/CB role and so for £20mil would kill two birds with one stone.

We also have a heck of a lot of players still to be sold and i'd say Schneiderlin, McCarthy and Besic would add a tasty pot as a foundation for a centre midfielder...not to mention Tosun, Walcott and Niasse for another attacker.

Lozano would be a massive immediate improvement on Walcott but I think it will be most interesting if we improve on the forward line (2 players) or mixed (1 forward and 1 defensive)...

South American market is open, the european leagues have teams who have been knocked out of the champions league (PSV/Brugge etc) and Id like to see us bring in 2 players at a minimum.

Cant discount the bedding in period for foreign players over the second half of the season. I think it will be crucial to making a strong start next season and also adds value depth on our run in.

Is it worth spending £40mil in Jan to improve from 7th to 6th? I'd say its very important that we aim to finish as high as we can this season so that next we have the confidence to chase down the top 4.

I think one issue is we have a slightly different assessment of some players.

However moving away from that the key point in this is the question of whether it's worth throwing money at something to finish from 7th to 6th? And the answer to that is absolutely no. The more relevant consideration is is it worth throwing money at a solution that can help us move from 6/7th this season to the top 4 next season? That is really the worthwhile way of approaching the window, and probably for the first time in my lifetime how I believe we will approach it with Brands.

While it's not enormously popular here, this season was always a bit of a write off to me. We have done fantastically well at moving players on in the summer and this is continuing now. I think we will see more over the next 2 windows (and it will be easier, as we are moving on better players). There is always an element of patience needed but it will be easier. There is an outside possibility, if everything goes right and we click we can be a little more than a side competition to go from 7th to 6th though at this stage thats where we are at (which is a big improvement).

Understanding that difference is important though. If you want to cement 6th, go and blow a stack on Zaha and Wilson. Both are great players who will go a long way to cement us there. I'm not sure either have the ability to go much beyond that though and we would tie up much of our funds doing so.

I like the idea of the Militao signing more. Someone who won't come in to the team this season, or maybe even at the start of next season but will push Coleman and keep him at his best. I am not sure Kenny is quite at the standard we require. Likewise, as I suggested players from South America who won't cost a bomb could come (thats where Mina was playing last season until January). I also think we will have a go for Lozano. None of these players will necessarily hit the ground running immediately.

You could well argue none of them will help us get 6th (certainly not as much as lads who know the league such as Wilson or Zaha) but they could help us kick on massively next season.

This has probably been mentioned before and I think it had its own thread, but I would have Lukaku back as a central striker, mancs are moaning about him for them, but Harry Kane would struggle just as much in that utd team, we are creating plenty of chances and not sticking them away. Rom could do that for us.

Other players like "Gabigol" or Sala (from Nantes) could do that too, but they don't have Premier league experience

This has probably been mentioned before and I think it had its own thread, but I would have Lukaku back as a central striker, mancs are moaning about him for them, but Harry Kane would struggle just as much in that utd team, we are creating plenty of chances and not sticking them away. Rom could do that for us.

Other players like "Gabigol" or Sala (from Nantes) could do that too, but they don't have Premier league experience

I'd rather not have him back. He's a good goal scorer but he doesn't play anything like silvas style of play.

We win the ball back in the final third more then any other team in the leauge, can't see lukaku getting in on that. He doesn't even run for Utd. Plus be arsed with him banging on about how he's moving onto a bigger club every time someone puts a Mic in his kite and disrupting the dressing room.

Utd were playing juve at old Trafford the other week, massive game and he comes out before the game and says he hopes he gets a move to juve in the summer. Top goal scorer but I'm glad we've seen the back of him.

Zatara
To quote SSN on Lookman vs Newcastle
Busy but ineffective
He got his chance and failed to take it
He will probably get more but Walcott and Bernard will be straight back in

I think one issue is we have a slightly different assessment of some players.

However moving away from that the key point in this is the question of whether it's worth throwing money at something to finish from 7th to 6th? And the answer to that is absolutely no. The more relevant consideration is is it worth throwing money at a solution that can help us move from 6/7th this season to the top 4 next season? That is really the worthwhile way of approaching the window, and probably for the first time in my lifetime how I believe we will approach it with Brands.

While it's not enormously popular here, this season was always a bit of a write off to me. We have done fantastically well at moving players on in the summer and this is continuing now. I think we will see more over the next 2 windows (and it will be easier, as we are moving on better players). There is always an element of patience needed but it will be easier. There is an outside possibility, if everything goes right and we click we can be a little more than a side competition to go from 7th to 6th though at this stage thats where we are at (which is a big improvement).

Understanding that difference is important though. If you want to cement 6th, go and blow a stack on Zaha and Wilson. Both are great players who will go a long way to cement us there. I'm not sure either have the ability to go much beyond that though and we would tie up much of our funds doing so.

I like the idea of the Militao signing more. Someone who won't come in to the team this season, or maybe even at the start of next season but will push Coleman and keep him at his best. I am not sure Kenny is quite at the standard we require. Likewise, as I suggested players from South America who won't cost a bomb could come (thats where Mina was playing last season until January). I also think we will have a go for Lozano. None of these players will necessarily hit the ground running immediately.

You could well argue none of them will help us get 6th (certainly not as much as lads who know the league such as Wilson or Zaha) but they could help us kick on massively next season.

Cementing 6th for £40mil meant signing players in advance of next season who could get us 6th now and also habe a bedding in period for next year.

What i would do in January would be to sign the following players: Militao £20mil, Lozano £35mil and Wesley £15mil.

We would then look something like this;

Pickford
Militao -- Mina -- Zouma -- Digne
Gana
Gomes -- Sigurdsson
Lozano -- Wesley -- Richarlison
This would be offset from the sales of Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Tosun, Niasse and Walcott.

If there is a posibility of selling Gana at £30mil or Coleman at £20mil id take it (although feel its unlikely till summer).

In the summer we may have tied up Gomes and Zouma which would potentially leave us 1 centre midfielder away from a super team.

Wesley looks like the type that I think would help, but I’ve not seen enough of him to know. Goal rate isn’t that awesome in a mediocre league. Still like William Jose.

Gabigol is small, but he still tough, quick, and skilled. Think he would at least do okay in the PL.

Josef Martinez...so tough to say. I cannot understate though how dominant he is in MLS. There aren’t bad athletes in MLS, but the defending is not good and he’s on a loaded team that plays a very attacking game. He isn’t short, but strong, good in the air, and just a complete [Poor language removed] on the pitch. He scored SOME in Torino, but he was younger and it’s just hard to say.

I'd rather not have him back. He's a good goal scorer but he doesn't play anything like silvas style of play.

We win the ball back in the final third more then any other team in the leauge, can't see lukaku getting in on that. He doesn't even run for Utd. Plus be arsed with him banging on about how he's moving onto a bigger club every time someone puts a Mic in his kite and disrupting the dressing room.

Utd were playing juve at old Trafford the other week, massive game and he comes out before the game and says he hopes he gets a move to juve in the summer. Top goal scorer but I'm glad we've seen the back of him.

Lukaku WAS a super player for us, hed be lethal in our team if we had a better RB and RF playing so we could attack down both flanks...crosses galore for him as well as some passes rolled in front of him...

However, i think there are so many positions needing to be filled that we need Brands to bring in a potential superstar on the cheap.

Zatara
To quote SSN on Lookman vs Newcastle
Busy but ineffective
He got his chance and failed to take it
He will probably get more but Walcott and Bernard will be straight back in

There was an article today on one of the other everton sites (RBM?) showing his stats...far, far, far better than Walcott against a team defending in numbers.

Its only a matter of time before Walcott is punted.

Status
Not open for further replies.