January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would loan Holgate out as we have Jagielka as 4th choice until the end of the season. I think he could do a job for a bottom half Premier League club or Championship side. He needs games to improve things but he meets the profile of a player who is going to be 4th choice.

I think theres 2 things to look at here;

1 -- Upgrading existing players

2 -- Adding top quality depth who can compete.

We have seen against both the RS and Newcastle that one or two (or more!) players can have an off day and so we need to be in a position where we can turn to the bench for strong options.

Contrary to others views, I dont think it will cost a huge amount to reach the next level in terms of upgrading players.

In the first 11 we could upgrade on Keane, Coleman, Gana, Walcott and need a centre forward of course.

Lookman for example could quite easily be an upgrade on Walcott (his stats against newcastle were better than anything produced by Walcott all season aside from a goal/assist). I'd say that someone like Militao could be brought in to add competition and cement either a RB/CB role and so for £20mil would kill two birds with one stone.

We also have a heck of a lot of players still to be sold and i'd say Schneiderlin, McCarthy and Besic would add a tasty pot as a foundation for a centre midfielder...not to mention Tosun, Walcott and Niasse for another attacker.

Lozano would be a massive immediate improvement on Walcott but I think it will be most interesting if we improve on the forward line (2 players) or mixed (1 forward and 1 defensive)...

South American market is open, the european leagues have teams who have been knocked out of the champions league (PSV/Brugge etc) and Id like to see us bring in 2 players at a minimum.

Cant discount the bedding in period for foreign players over the second half of the season. I think it will be crucial to making a strong start next season and also adds value depth on our run in.

Is it worth spending £40mil in Jan to improve from 7th to 6th? I'd say its very important that we aim to finish as high as we can this season so that next we have the confidence to chase down the top 4.

Stop reading when you started talking about Lookman being effective?

He isn't, he might be in three, four years, at the moment he is an impact sub at best

He has had a couple of opportunities but never taken up the challenge, Lozano is a great call I also believe, bring him in and off load Lookman, if I am wrong in three or four years I will take the negative feedback.

I'd rather not have him back. He's a good goal scorer but he doesn't play anything like silvas style of play.

We win the ball back in the final third more then any other team in the leauge, can't see lukaku getting in on that. He doesn't even run for Utd. Plus be arsed with him banging on about how he's moving onto a bigger club every time someone puts a Mic in his kite and disrupting the dressing room.

Utd were playing juve at old Trafford the other week, massive game and he comes out before the game and says he hopes he gets a move to juve in the summer. Top goal scorer but I'm glad we've seen the back of him.

Totally agree, unless Lukaku loses 6 kilo and works on his fitness he will continue going backwards

Last edited:
Stop reading when you started talking about Lookman being effective?

He isn't, he might be in three, four years, at the moment he is an impact sub at best

He has had a couple of opportunities but never taken up the challenge, Lozano is a great call I also believe, bring him in and off load Lookman, if I am wrong in three or four years I will take the negative feedback.

Lookman is better than Walcott...he'll oust him soon.

Lozano i think i was the first to mention him on the forum.

Hopefully Niasse and Schneiderlin have moves lined up already.

If we can snare a quality striker I'd flog Tosun too. Jagielka will surely retire end of the season, Bolasie, Mirallas, Besic, Williams, Pennington, Galloway hopefully never be seen again, and hopefully Stekelenberg stops being a mercenary and leaves in the summer too.

Squad trimmed right down.

At the moment I think lookman is a great impact sub but shouldn't be starting, put him on around the 60minute mark when defenders are tiring, that's when he'll do the most damage.

Cementing 6th for £40mil meant signing players in advance of next season who could get us 6th now and also habe a bedding in period for next year.

What i would do in January would be to sign the following players: Militao £20mil, Lozano £35mil and Wesley £15mil.

We would then look something like this;

Pickford
Militao -- Mina -- Zouma -- Digne
Gana
Gomes -- Sigurdsson
Lozano -- Wesley -- Richarlison
This would be offset from the sales of Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Tosun, Niasse and Walcott.

If there is a posibility of selling Gana at £30mil or Coleman at £20mil id take it (although feel its unlikely till summer).

In the summer we may have tied up Gomes and Zouma which would potentially leave us 1 centre midfielder away from a super team.

It's a bad move to continue to move on so many players every window, believe we have a basis of a fantastic side and Mr Brands will have this in hand.

There is no need to move on Coleman, Gana, Keane and Walcott, they are first team regulars/squad, we need to sort Gomes and look at a CF, that's it for January

Summer a couple more, it's called controlled growth, most successful teams work the same way!

I don't believe January will be busy for us, just two and maybe three out, Morgan, Oumar and Dowell on loan

How can you say Lookman is better than Walcott?

Utterly baffling comment.
I think people get carried away and mix up a player being 'better' with the fact they may be currently performing better on the pitch, or offer more future potential.

They are not the same. Let's be honest, Walcott isn't playing anywhere near his best and ultimatly Lookman may be offering more, but that's in the short-term.

In the future i think he will be, but at the moment he still looks like a league 1 player most of the time, the odd dribble past a few defenders does not mean he should get a place in the team, he wants everything on a plate into his feet all the time. Still got a lot to learn imo and more suited to the bench.

I think people get carried away and mix up a player being 'better' with the fact they may be currently performing better on the pitch, or offer more future potential.

They are not the same. Let's be honest, Walcott isn't playing anywhere near his best and ultimatly Lookman may be offering more, but that's in the short-term.

Lookman is just starting his career, he looks a good prospect, but apart from playing well in the German pub league he hasnt done anything, not a single thing for us so far, granted hes hardly played, but I personally dont consider him a good player, exciting yes, but he has yet to "produce" for us.

Walcott started the season very well, hes tailed off a bit recently and whilst I would probably give Lookman a little run in the side, at their best, both bang in form, I would have to pick Walcott, based on him actually producing something in his Everton career.

Status
Not open for further replies.