Players we really should’ve kept hold of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Errr we have needed decent pl centrehalves for about 2 seasons

Don’t know what you’re point is?

We let Duffy go because he wasn’t good enough for Everton. Whilst he’s had a decent career and is proving himself as a decent premier league centre half, he’s done nothing to suggest we made a mistake in letting him go.

If he hadn’t had played here no one would even take notice of him.

Case in point being Lewis Dunk is a much better player, yet you never see anyone say we should sign him, but you’ll always see a mad Shane Duffy shout when the window is open.

I think this thread shows how a lot of people get caught up in whether a team wins a trophy or not and somehow add or detract player value on that basis. It’s really quite frightening how many people can’t see past it to be honest.

The Andy Gray shouts are baffling. He was terrible for Villa when he left us and proved it was the right decision to let him go.

I think ted critchley could have stayed a couple more seasons. He and Dean worked really well together and we may have got another couple of titles had we kept him. But we let him to go to Preston in 1934 and didn't seem quite the same after that.

There is no point counting the likes of Stones, Rom, Barkley et al.

They wanted to go.

I am going for players whom, to the best of my knowledge, never agitated for a move or refused to sign a new contract.

Alan Ball

Ken McNaught

Duncan Ferguson

Gerard Deulefeou

Gary Speed

Shane Duffy

John Connolly

And of course, Gary Lineker.

Lineker wanted out didn’t he? Seen an old motd interview with Desmond lynham asking venables and lineker about the move . Lauri mcmenemy told them they should be speaking to HK and it’s out of order.

Saying that, in those days there were no Bosmans so we could have forced him to stay, that being the case, Steven, Stevens tc should all have been kept

Status
Not open for further replies.