Players we really should’ve kept hold of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
On a similar, but sufficiently different, note to @Eggs thread (https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/so-few-games-but-such-an-impact.105276/), which players do you think, based on their subsequent careers should we have not sold when we did?

I put forward;

Marco Matterazzi (25 league apps) - good, if erratic, CB. Went on to win the WC.

Shkodran Mustafi (1 sub UEFA cup app) - another CB who went on to win the WC. Surprised Seargent Major Hoofball (@davek 2018 lol ) who always had an eye for a defender let him slip through so easily. Still only 26 with plenty of PL experience by the way.

Martin Keown (96 league apps) - yet another decent CB (and absolute oddball according to Neville Southall). Became one of the best league winning CB’s, and to be fair to him he only asked to leave because his wife couldn’t settle up here. He’d have been great with Dave Watson long term, who never really got another decent CB partner afterwards.

Anymore for anymore?

Jeffers was ace around the time he first came into the first team, some of his runs were fantastic, I really though he was going to be a top player.

I think you said it all there Carlin, he was tailing off drastically by the time we sold him and as we now know he did rock all after that so IMO the truth is we got good money for him and his career went downhill thereafter, shame but fact.

I always thought we should of kept Gray when we sold him to Villa and got Lineker. He went onto play more games for struggling Villa then he did Everton and even tho Lineker scored a lot of goals there was always the inevitability he would leave because of the European ban.
Gray was getting on but his legs hadn't totaly gone

On a similar, but sufficiently different, note to @Eggs thread (https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/so-few-games-but-such-an-impact.105276/), which players do you think, based on their subsequent careers should we have not sold when we did?

I put forward;

Marco Matterazzi (25 league apps) - good, if erratic, CB. Went on to win the WC.

Shkodran Mustafi (1 sub UEFA cup app) - another CB who went on to win the WC. Surprised Seargent Major Hoofball (@davek 2018 lol ) who always had an eye for a defender let him slip through so easily. Still only 26 with plenty of PL experience by the way.

Martin Keown (96 league apps) - yet another decent CB (and absolute oddball according to Neville Southall). Became one of the best league winning CB’s, and to be fair to him he only asked to leave because his wife couldn’t settle up here. He’d have been great with Dave Watson long term, who never really got another decent CB partner afterwards.

Anymore for anymore?
Erik dier,Beardsley still had 2 seasons more at the top level,Dacourt we should have had a few more years

Status
Not open for further replies.