Players we really should’ve kept hold of

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no point counting the likes of Stones, Rom, Barkley et al.

They wanted to go.

I am going for players whom, to the best of my knowledge, never agitated for a move or refused to sign a new contract.

Alan Ball

Ken McNaught

Duncan Ferguson

Gerard Deulefeou

Gary Speed

Shane Duffy

John Connolly

And of course, Gary Lineker.

There is no point counting the likes of Stones, Rom, Barkley et al.

They wanted to go.

I am going for players whom, to the best of my knowledge, never agitated for a move or refused to sign a new contract.

Alan Ball

Ken McNaught

Duncan Ferguson

Gerard Deulefeou

Gary Speed

Shane Duffy

John Connolly

And of course, Gary Lineker.
Deulefeou, I'd almost forgotten about him, he was top class in his first stint here, if we'd signed him after that season who knows what would have been, instead he went to Spain on loan and went off the boil, been a shadow of what he was ever since.

As has been said earlier, Bobby Collins.

Alan Ball - Everton's biggest mistake was selling him and replacing him with the likes of John Connolly and Mike Bernard, two average players.

Ken McNaught - a future European Cup winner with Villa.

Andy Hinchcliffe - why didn't HK like him, I wonder?

Don Hutchison - he wanted a raise which was not unreasonable by football standards; instead, Smith offered him relative peanuts and replaced him with Alex Nyarko at three times Hutch's wages! Nice one, Walter!

Gary Lineker - I doubt if he'd stayed given Barca were after him, but failing to put in a first option clause was a mistake.

Martin Keown - probably sold for financial reasons

Peter Beardsley - selling him was madness

Speed, Arteta, Stones, Lukaku etc wanted to leave so it wasn't really a case of us "getting rid" of them.

I wonder how many of these players mentioned were sold because we were skint? Probably would have gone into administration without the sales. A 10-15 point deduction back in the day would have been certain relegation from which we may never have recovered.

Big Dunc and Don Hutchison.
Those were dark , dark days.
To those who think that it's fair to be slagging off Moshiri about the way that the club is run now, just think back.
God it was grim back then and we were almost a pantomime - Gazza and Ginola anyone ?

Big Dunc and Don Hutchison.
Those were dark , dark days.
To those who think that it's fair to be slagging off Moshiri about the way that the club is run now, just think back.
God it was grim back then and we were almost a pantomime - Gazza and Ginola anyone ?
It's crazy to think better ran club's with decent budgets went down and we never did, if we got the Smith replacement wrong we could easily of disappeared never to return like forest and Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.