Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of principal we should never be even entertaining barkleys name ever again

As a fan base we do get precious about calling players "traitors" and hating on them for not wanting to stay at everton and leave for a better team (Lukaku a great example), but Barkley absolutely rinsed us and as a "boyhood blue" that one hurt more than any others who have no real afinity with us apart from we gave them some games when other teams wouldnt
Rooney did worse
rooney left at 18, the first sniff of any club and he bolted the transfer fee was shocking aswell.

Rooney did worse
rooney left at 18, the first sniff of any club and he bolted the transfer fee was shocking aswell.

At least at the time we got a top transfer fee for him
We had just finished 17th and Utd were regular champions

Barkely went for a mediacal, got told to hang fire because your injured, came back, used us for recouperation with his contract running down, forceing us to accept half of what was offered for him 6 months previously

Rooney didnt owe us anything wheras we stuck with Barkley through thick and thin, including his big injury at 17

Agree with everything apart from the bit in bold, mate...

The personnel seem better, and we're waiting for Mina to get fit. Keane looks a different player to last year. But, as a team, we can't defend for Toffee (pardon the pun).
I agree, I meant in personel only. Just adding Zouma helped a lot, hopefully Mina will do the same and Digne seems a great addition. If we learn how to defend as a unit, Everton might get somewhere.

really???

top 10 transfers fees all time
Neymar, mbappe, coutinho, pogba, dembele, bale, ronaldo, higuain, lukaku, van dijk

you wouldnt really call any of them a flop. the players that usually go for big transfer fees, more often then not work out.

That's the point that I am making tbh, that you have to pay through the nose to get a proven top quality player. The risk that I was referring to, relates to paying smaller but not exactly cheap sums of money in the hope that a 20 million striker becomes a 70 million pound striker. It seldom works imo.

The best example of this is our purchase of Lukaku for circa 30 million at a time when 30 million was a lot of money (it was before Moshiri as well). If we want to replicate something similar to that and actually get ourselves a decent striker, then we will need to spend at least 60 - 70 million pounds. And because we are unattractive to top players, I personally think that we may have to pay that type of figure for someone that could be over 30.

I realise why people think that is insane, but messing about with 20 - 30 million strikers will just maintain our also-ran status imo.

Rooney did worse

Really?

Rooney was a kid manipulated by an evil man called Paul Stretford.

Also, £25-30m for a club in our position, at that time, was far too much to turn down. It steadied the ship more than people care to admit.

Barkley is just an absolute snake who pulled out of a deal, which would of made the club £30m. Then ran the remainder of his contract down, to ensure he and his agent received a hefty signing on fee and left us with diddly-squat.

If James Beattie was playing today, he'd probably have a market value of about 25 million pound. That's the category of striker you are looking at if we carry on messing about with 25 million pound strikers.

Barkely went for a mediacal, got told to hang fire because your injured, came back, used us for recouperation with his contract running down, forceing us to accept half of what was offered for him 6 months previously

Rooney didnt owe us anything wheras we stuck with Barkley through thick and thin, including his big injury at 17
zidane left for 50m in 2001, figo was about 37m, buffon went for big money aswell.
his fee wasnt great, he was already world class at 18. it wasnt a case of "if" he was going to make it

Really?

Rooney was a kid manipulated by an evil man called Paul Stretford.

Also, £25-30m for a club in our position, at that time, was far too much to turn down. It steadied the ship more than people care to admit.

Barkley is just an absolute snake who pulled out of a deal, which would of made the club £30m. Then ran the remainder of his contract down, to ensure he and his agent received a hefty signing on fee and left us with diddly-squat.
it was no where near 30m. it was 22-23m after all of the addons that were acheived, some wernt acheived

That's the point that I am making tbh, that you have to pay through the nose to get a proven top quality player. The risk that I was referring to, relates to paying smaller but not exactly cheap sums of money in the hope that a 20 million striker becomes a 70 million pound striker. It seldom works imo.

The best example of this is our purchase of Lukaku for circa 30 million at a time when 30 million was a lot of money (it was before Moshiri as well). If we want to replicate something similar to that and actually get ourselves a decent striker, then we will need to spend at least 60 - 70 million pounds. And because we are unattractive to top players, I personally think that we may have to pay that type of figure for someone that could be over 30.

I realise why people think that is insane, but messing about with 20 - 30 million strikers will just maintain our also-ran status imo.

I get where you're coming from.

People act like it's easy to replace a striker we sold for £90m. Twenty goal per-seasons strikers don't grow on trees.

Realistically, we aren't getting any in their pomp. So, we have four options:

- Try and steal a march and get a young prospect (we tried this with Sandro, but it didn't work out)
- Pay a big fee for a top, proven player just past his prime. This would probably also mean huge wages to even get him to think about coming here (an example would be Cavani).
- Or, pay a middling fee (£25m is ultimately about the average now unfortunately) for a player from a team in a lesser league who has a good record, and take a gamble that this will pay off (Tosun is an example of this).
- 'Cast offs' from bigger clubs - probably our best chance of striking gold (like we did with Lukaku). But it's still a gamble.

Someone like Rodrigo from Valencia could be a good, realistic acquisition, but even if he became available, a 27/28-yr-old in his prime is going to attract more illustrious teams.

People act like it's easy to replace a striker we sold for £90m. Twenty goal per-seasons strikers don't grow on trees.

- Try and steal a march and get a young prospect (we tried this with Sandro, but it didn't work out)
- Pay a big fee for a top, proven player just past his prime. This would probably also mean huge wages to even get him to think about coming here (an example would be Cavani).
- Or, pay a middling fee (£25m is ultimately about the average now unfortunately) for a player from a team in a lesser league who has a good record, and take a gamble that this will pay off (Tosun is an example of this).
- 'Cast offs' from bigger clubs - probably our best chance of striking gold (like we did with Lukaku). But it's still a gamble.

Someone like Rodrigo from Valencia could be a good, realistic acquisition, but even if he became available, a 27/28-yr-old in his prime is going to attract more illustrious teams.
I’d take a chance on Rashford for 40m or less
Even try a cheeky loan in Jan
2/3 m loan fee and pay his wages

Your absolutely right, but certain posters will ignore that because it does not suit their agendas about the club always being at fault.

What this maxi Gomez like at Celta Vigo .

Is he already out of reach him & Lozano please marcel.

it was no where near 30m. it was 22-23m after all of the addons that were acheived, some wernt acheived

I'm sure it finished up at £27 million, can't you a source, it's just what I remember. Still think it wasn't nearly enough, for what was then the best young player in the world.
Let's see £10m down payment, £10m the following year, followed by payments on appearances, England games and what they won, joke really, they had our pants down.

What this maxi Gomez like at Celta Vigo .

Is he already out of reach him & Lozano please marcel.

Well he's a very good young prospect, so I'd say a mix of the first and third categories.

But... a bit like Sandro, there's no guarantee he would work out. So it's a gamble either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.