Homepage Update: Mirallas departs Blues for Olympiacos

Status
Not open for further replies.
i respect the fact that everyone is entitled to an opinion and this is yours.
but ive got nothing but 100% respect and admiration for these 2 players more than any in the squad and the last 20 years at the club (along with cahill and howard).
not only have they given us a great and long service , but they have been loyal class and impeccable.
I'm also not ageist and still think they have a job to do here for a few seasons yet.

any lb that comes in has a job to dislodge baines in that position , and jags is still our best performing cb, im sure he still would be even if we were the club that spent £75 on van dijk.
both on merit and ability too rather than favouritism.
against Liverpool , jags was the best performer on the pitch.

the words baines Jagielka and mediocrity do not belong in the same sentence , ever !
That assessment sounds like it's from 2008/09.

They have been pretty much hopeless for the past three seasons at least.

With respect, this attitude that Baines and Jagielka are still top PL players is the reason we wont progress one bit: so many are living in the past and dont want to see what actually is there: two broken washed up (should be ex) pros.

That assessment sounds like it's from 2008/09.

They have been pretty much hopeless for the past three seasons at least.

With respect, this attitude that Baines and Jagielka are still top PL players is the reason we wont progress one bit: so many are living in the past and dont want to see what actually is there: two broken washed up (should be ex) pros.

again , i can only disagree .
we have 3 cb's other than jags ... none are better
other than baines , we have cuco and garbutt .... neither are better.

yes we should have better by now , on that i agree. but that's 5 players who are not better , wont ever be better (at least in the next 2 seasons until they probably retire) and lower down the pecking order of skill that need replacing more.

so I'm saying they are in the first 11 on merit at the minute , and should be in the squad for there leadership and knowledge even if we get 2 better players in.

yes we should have better by now , on that i agree. but that's 5 players who are not better , wont ever be better (at least in the next 2 seasons until they probably retire) and lower down the pecking order of skill that need replacing more.

so I'm saying they are in the first 11 on merit at the minute , and should be in the squad for there leadership and knowledge even if we get 2 better players in.
...as said: they are living monuments to our mediocrity.

The fact that we have poor competition for them at the moment speaks volumes. Two players past their best are still OUR best in your estimation.

What a club.

clearly not the easiest to manage, a bit inconsistent which is the nature of these players, but had some very good spells where he was brave in possession and took it to the opposition without fear or respect, also turned up for derbies and his snapping of suarez was glorious. A lot of talk about how we can win a derby, well these are the kind of players who aren't scared of playing at anfield, they might not be easy to manage and might not even be the most likeable people, but if you are happy in mid table with a good set of lads who all shake the oppo's hand before the game, then fine, if we want to move forward and compete our fans might just have to accept these sort of personalities a bit more and not set against them so much, albeit more talented versions, but there is certainly a lesson there for us.
Remind me when Mirallas influenced a Derby, or any other big game come to think of it. If "snapping Suarez" is the benchmark then I'm assuming you hold Phil Neville in similar regard following his meaty tackle on Ronaldo?

If you think Holgate and Keane won't be better than Jagielka then we may as well close the thread.

Remind me when Mirallas influenced a Derby, or any other big game come to think of it. If "snapping Suarez" is the benchmark then I'm assuming you hold Phil Neville in similar regard following his meaty tackle on Ronaldo?
the derby previous he was superb before getting took out, but to be honest i'm not going to trawl through past results, as you've already missed my point

the derby previous he was superb before getting took out, but to be honest i'm not going to trawl through past results, as you've already missed my point
Not missed any point - you were advocating 'his type' to win games, notably Derby games. I've simply asked when he influenced these games. You can trawl the records long and hard mate, but you'll find minimal if any evidence to support your point. He's an over-hyped, distinctly average footballer - so good that he came from that footballing bastion of Greece and that's where he's heading back to....some impression he's made on opposition managers.

you mean over their careers ? no i don't tbh.
Jagielka was a much better player at their ages.
i can remember him playing rb for Sheffield utd , he was pretty damn good.
Yes he was, but @davek is pointing out we hold on to,aging players far too long even Ashley Williams needs to go and younger better players bought in for cash!
We are still selling to buy !
Just looked a loan deal fgs we sell great young prospects undisclosed fee and KM a loan deal ?
Steve Walsh is dragging us down!

Yes he was, but @davek is pointing out we hold on to,aging players far too long even Ashley Williams needs to go and younger better players bought in for cash!
We are still selling to buy !

i agree with that point we are selling to buy.
i also agree that we should be better and have better.
but im pointing out that what davek is pointing out is pointed at the wrong people. ;)

the issue isn't jags and baines or their age. they are both still very very good players.
the issue is the other players in their positions are crap or not cutting it.
so id single out the purchases and squad places of Williams funes mori cuco garbutt , the performances of them and keane, and relying on Holgate as the pointer to the lack of on the field ambition , rather than criticise and point at our best cb ,lb and most loyal players.

so i think davek has the right case , but using the wrong evidence.

age for me isn't a problem , young or old , if you are good enough then you play. both those players are good enough , and until we replace at least 3 players, are the best we have. and until we replace 4 or 5 players , deserve a place in the squad.

Do some posters on here all agree beforehand to have a similar opinion for the purpose of winding up other posters? Just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.