Holgate Racially Abused By Firmino - The Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald Sterling lost a franchise. Jerry Richardson lost a franchise. Richie Incognito couldn't get a job for a year and a half even when he had teammates saying he wasn't a racist

Steve Williams is unemployed. Riley Cooper was not welcomed back into that locker room. Players fought him in practice and guys wouldn't talk to him. We can talk about Riley Cooper if you want, but it didn't go down the way you probably interpreted it and he's out of the league.

If you think Racism isn't tolerated more in football than it is in other sports, then I think you're just ignorant.

But nice cherry pick there.
First off Racism in football is clearly a bigger problem. Look at Italy and basically all of East Europe and it's obvious. But of the examples you said only the Sterling one is both racism and strong action being taken. Cooper was not liked but ultimately tolerated for a little while. The others weren't racism just bullying/harassment of other kinds

Storm in a teacup

We got beat by a better football team - move on
WOW, there’s only one thing as bad as racism and that’s those who ignore it and allow it to thrive.
To call it a storm in a teacup is appalling.

By the way, I don’t believe he was racially abused if what Portuguese speakers are saying, but it’s right that it’s investigated.

It's kind of hard to say he's guilty when most don't know what he actually said after the puta jargon, but I found it peculiar that one of our staff (if I'm not mistaken?) got sent off for enraging during the incident.

It’s clear that something was said, based on Mason’s reaction, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was racial.

If it was racial, they should have just walked off the pitch and made a statement.

The ref was unbelievably weak. Holgate should have been booked, that was a given. The ref clearly didn’t want to deal with the situation. He heard whatever was said, hence he opted not to act on the initial incident. His non-action to me would suggest, that RF comments are some way equal to the initial incident.

I wouldn’t usually blast a ref, but he didn’t have a good game.

Last edited:

First off Racism in football is clearly a bigger problem. Look at Italy and basically all of East Europe and it's obvious. But of the examples you said only the Sterling one is both racism and strong action being taken. Cooper was not liked but ultimately tolerated for a little while. The others weren't racism just bullying/harassment of other kinds

Again, I think you're missing information.

Richardson was a confluence of things, but one of the bigger accusations was that he called a black scout the n word.

Incognito called Jonathan Martin the n word.

Isn't racism a form of bullying or harassment?

We're off topic, but we largely agree I think. Football needs to come down harsher on this. It's tough to compare, but I still can't believe that some of this still happens. A lot of different cultures are involved that I think it makes it hard for me to fully comprehend, and it is a nice pay check. But I just don't understand how some black athletes put up with this, and how some teammates don't feel the need to do more about. But again, we see some of the same things in the US. Again, completely off topic so I don't want to bring this on to that.

I just hope that for all parties involved the truth is ultimately what comes to light.

Last edited:
WOW, there’s only one thing as bad as racism and that’s those who ignore it and allow it to thrive.
To call it a storm in a teacup is appalling.

By the way, I don’t believe he was racially abused if what Portuguese speakers are saying, but it’s right that it’s investigated.
I gather he called him an SoB which is not nice but hardly racist.

Anyway, it was a fine shove into the red fans. He should be at Twickenham with that kind of stuff!

Firmino is mixed with every race known to mankind, why exactly would he say something 'racist' to Holgate ?!! If he did he is offending part of his heritage also!

In all fairness to the ref, he’s got a dozen players shouting down his ear about something or another, a stadium of 50 odd thousand going mad, and Firmino talking Portuguese. If he didn’t hear one particular word that’s understandable, no matter how close he was.

Doesn’t excuse the rest of his dreadful officiating, like.
I think it’s far more likely that he’s bottled it. I think if someone shouted the N word inches from your face it would stand out. The ref was out of his depth the whole game, this incident only highlighted his incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.