Holgate Racially Abused By Firmino - The Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zezti

Player Valuation: £70m
This would explain why Holgate seemed to get quite upset and angry when Firmino said something to him after Mason sent him flying into the stands (well in lad).
It was a weird thing to see on TV. Holgate walked off not arsed, Firmino came back and said something to him, Holgate got angry, put his hands on the ref (surprised Madley didn't book him) and had to be taken back and calmed down. Perhaps Madley heard something which is why he didn't book Holgate, but then surely he would have booked/sent off Firmino if it was racial abuse?

-------------------

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/06/roberto-firmino-liverpool-everton-mason-holgate

The Football Association is expected to launch an investigation into allegations by the Everton defender Mason Holgate that he was racially abused by Roberto Firmino during Liverpool’s FA Cup win at Anfield.

Holgate clashed with the Liverpool forward after pushing him over the advertising hoardings in the first half of the home side’s 2-1 victory. Firmino reacted furiously and ran towards the Everton defender, who erupted after something was said by the Brazil international. Holgate had to be restrained by several team-mates and appeared to complain to the referee, Robert Madley, that a racist term had been used. The match official reported the allegation to the fourth official, Jon Moss, and spoke to the 21-year-old again after the game.

Holgate’s allegation is expected to be included in Madley’s match report, which will be submitted to the FA, who will then determine whether further action is necessary.

A Liverpool spokesperson said: “The club and the player will fully co-operate with the relevant authorities to ensure the facts are established in a thorough manner if deemed necessary or requested. While that process is ongoing we will not be making any further comment.”

Firmino was not asked to give a statement after the match but the FA will act if prompted by the match report. Sam Allardyce refused to comment on the incident but Everton’s director of football, Steve Walsh, was involved in discussions with the club’s media department after the Cup tie.

“I’m telling you nothing until whatever systems are used to find out exactly what happened or didn’t happen,” the Everton manager said. “I am here to talk about football not controversial incidents, because football is my life and anything outside the game has to be dealt with by the authorities. Even if I had or I hadn’t [spoken to Holgate] I wouldn’t tell anyone in this press conference. That is for others to deal with. I have left that with the director of football and told him to sort that one out.”

Jürgen Klopp admitted: “I heard about something but I can’t say anything so far. The fourth official said something to me. I never heard the words so I thought they were going to investigate the Holgate foul. That’s how I understood it at first. Then after the game the fourth official informed me but it wasn’t that I really got what it was about.”

Other reporters like Maddock saying holgate misheard him and he called him a Loco puta which means crazy motherf***** in Portuguese.. Apparently some of our staff cleared it up with holgate at half time and he said he minunderstood the meaning and apologised to ladyboy.. Something like that

Apparently there is a tv clip which shows he said "loco puta" which is not racist and probably accurate given he'd just been launched over the hoardings. Unless the claim is that the racism occurred before he was pushed over? Holgate's reaction doesn't suggest that though. We'll find out in due course I suppose.
Just after that when Kenny's head gets in the way

Apparently there is a tv clip which shows he said "loco puta" which is not racist and probably accurate given he'd just been launched over the hoardings. Unless the claim is that the racism occurred before he was pushed over? Holgate's reaction doesn't suggest that though. We'll find out in due course I suppose.

You can see that on one camera angle, yes. But on that same camera Holgate seems to react to something that’s said when Firmino’s face is blocked by Kenny’s head. I’m sure there’ll be other camera angles to aid with the investigation but, unless anyone’s got X-Ray vision, the TV pictures neither support or condemn any argument at the moment.

Kopites are doing their best to defend Firmino, of course, as if Kenny’s head is transparent or something.

IMHO, seeing the replay, it looks to me all the Everton players around the two heard it ( and maybe Liverpool players but they will have no recollection of it naturally), but the referee motions to his earpiece and my lip reading skills have him saying "I couldn't hear anything" to which Holgate makes an annoyed response.

If so, nothing to see here let's all move on shall we...

In all fairness to the ref, he’s got a dozen players shouting down his ear about something or another, a stadium of 50 odd thousand going mad, and Firmino talking Portuguese. If he didn’t hear one particular word that’s understandable, no matter how close he was.

Doesn’t excuse the rest of his dreadful officiating, like.

I’m not suggesting Firmino definitely said it, but in what way is the N word a “storm in a teacup” that people should “move on” from? Of course we were beaten by a better football team, but that’s irrelevant.

Because this non incident takes away from the fact we should be concentrating on - That Liverpool have beaten us in a football match again

I'm sick of trying to claim the moral high ground - just win

Status
Not open for further replies.