Roberto Vs Ronald

Who was the more betterer of them as Everton manager?

• Koeman

Votes: 56 16.0%
  • Martinez

Votes: 205 58.6%
  • Red Leicester cheese on lovely toasted wholegrain bread

Votes: 89 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree Dave.

For me, ultimately...

How many seasons did Koeman underperform? - Less than 3 months.
How many seasons did Martinez underperform? - 2 seasons.

They're both very difficult to compare for the reasons I gave, but the worst Everton performances in my lifetime in terms of how absolutely spineless they were come under Martinez

It's almost like some people have simply chosen to forget how bad it was (n)

We lost at home to West Ham, Swansea, Stoke, Sunderland, Crystal Palace (twice)....teams knew just like they have done recently that all they had to do when coming to GP was put men behind the ball and watch us run out of ideas after 20 minutes, such as the 0-0 home draw to WBA when Mirallas missed the pen.

Another game I will never understand how we contrived not to win was Norwich away in that final season.

We were 1-0 up after an absolutely scintillating performance for 45 minutes in which a 6-0 half time lead would not have flattered us.

Then we conceded from a corner early in t’ second half and I think we we were clinging on for the point at the end :(

That West Ham game.....:mad:

If only Lukaku had slotted that penno how different that season might have been.

Then he does the same thing at Wembley

Bobby and Everton.....we were almost awesome together :pint2:
West Ham game was the beginning of the end. Mirallas doing his usual BS tricks and getting sent off and Lukaku missing a pen din't help either.

Talking of letting winning situations go: the LC SF 2nd leg. We're 3-1 up on aggregate in that game after RB scores, then Baines turns his back on a speculative shot (for the umpteenth time in his career) that deflects off him and over Robles. If he'd have done his job we could have got through to HT and seen that one out.

Another reason to want him down the road.

Indeed.

And in the second season we at least had a thrilling European campaign.

Even in the third, there were thrills, spills and two great cup runs to keep us interested over the winter.

I could see Martinez era Everton going the way of Gordon Lee era Everton.

Readily dismissed by most as soon as it was over.....but never forgotten about and always talked about when those whom were around at the time gathered.

The Villa Trilogy, Clive Thomas robbing us, Andy King from 30 yards, long unbeaten runs which saw us sitting top of the table round about New Year two seasons in a row, top three or four finishes, the trip to Finn Harps in Europe when the Donegal club borrowed the seats from the local cinema to comply with UEFA’s seating regulations, Dave Thomas slinging them across for Big Bob :)

And a decade or two later a realisation sets in that you know what, arl Bob weren’t t all that bad, just like Gordon has been rehabilitated in recent years ;)

And BTW......we never had a better repertoire of songs which were lustily sang the length and breadth of Europe when Bobby’s Cavaliers were in their pomp :dance:

Never realised we had played Finn Harps until I met the gentleman @alan ball at the Brighton game. Sorted me out with tickets and gave me an Everton in Ireland bit of info I'd never heard. :)

I read up on it later and apparently Finn Harps lost big money on a European tie vs Derby two years before as they had gotten battered in the first leg and nobody cameto the return. So they asked Everton to play away first and we agreed! sound as we are.

Disagree Dave.

For me, ultimately...

They're both very difficult to compare for the reasons I gave, but the worst Everton performances in my lifetime in terms of how absolutely spineless they were come under Martinez.

For two years in a row.

We endured a similiar run of relegation form from the middle of September through to early December last season.

And only the solid start, which saw us sitting second after three games and which gave us points in the bank, kept us out of harm’s way.

This season, without such a luxury, the Koeman Autumn Slump has us down among the strugglers.

I actually considered voting for Martinez until I remembered what an absolute bull shiner he was.

No way I'm voting for Koeman either, both managers have had long periods of excruciating levels of plop we've had to witness so I done the only correct thing any sane person could do and voted for grated red Leicester on some toast with a smidge of salt and pepper and dash of hp sauce

West Ham game was the beginning of the end. Mirallas doing his usual BS tricks and getting sent off and Lukaku missing a pen din't help either.

Talking of letting winning situations go: the LC SF 2nd leg. We're 3-1 up on aggregate in that game after RB scores, then Baines turns his back on a speculative shot (for the umpteenth time in his career) that deflects off him and over Robles. If he'd have done his job we could have got through to HT and seen that one out.

Another reason to want him down the road.

And don’t forget Dave, the second City goal that night, the “equaliser” as it were, should never have stood because the ball was clearly over the line when Sterling knocked it back for the scorer.

Disagree Dave.

For me, ultimately...

They're both very difficult to compare for the reasons I gave, but the worst Everton performances in my lifetime in terms of how absolutely spineless they were come under Martinez.
I wont defend Martinez's frailties and weaknesses anymore. He was a dreamer. It was great before the dream turned into a nightmare, but it did and so that's that.

But I'd challenge any belief that he was or is an inferior manager to the likes of Koeman or Moyes.

And don’t forget Dave, the second City goal that night, the “equaliser” as it were, should never have stood because the ball was clearly over the line when Sterling knocked it back for the scorer.
Correct.

I wonder how we'd have done in the final? I dont think I could have taken another defeat to them at that place.

I wont defend Martinez's frailties and weaknesses anymore. He was a dreamer. It was great before the dream turned into a nightmare, but it did and so that's that.

But I'd challenge any belief that he was or is an inferior manager to the likes of Koeman or Moyes.

(feints) :eek:

lol

Disagree Dave.

For me, ultimately...

It's not just about hidings though, it's our incredible ability to make draws or losses out of certain wins, like the west ham game, the bournemouth comedy, Bassong equalizing for Norwich, the inability to beat big teams, and our total bottle jobs in the derbies.

Did Roberto ever manage to beat Liverpool by the way? Ronald certainly didn't

No he didn't, the only time we even came close was at his first attempt in the 3-3 and even then in classic Roberto style we turned what should of been a really exciting, wonderful win into a draw. We also had a 4-0 defeat at the the swamp which was as bad as anything Koeman ever served up. We actually lost 4-0 against them twice under Martinez. Admittedly we had that nice 1-1 at Klanfield when Jags scored the screamer at the death but it was mostly just draws. It should be pointed out however that Koeman only had two derbys to Martinez's six.

Last edited:
It's not just about hidings though, it's our incredible ability to make draws or losses out of certain wins, like the west ham game, the bournemouth comedy, Bassong equalizing for Norwich, the inability to beat big teams, and our total bottle jobs in the derbies.

Martinez: three seasons here...

Season points total record plus a couple of respectable cup runs minus two midtable finishes = not bad.

Koeman: One and a third seasons here...

Nothing.....

...and spending £200M.

Status
Not open for further replies.