2017/18 Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
A game set up for Ross that last night. We needed him and what he offers to see that game off.

No punch from this midfield; no ball carriers apart from Rooney who doesn't have the pace and C-L who doesn't have the ability to slalom.

A crying shame this lad is moving on.

He's not much good if he's coming or going right now Dave, he's out for 3 months with a hammy tear, so it's totally irrelevant.

Jags was never a fixture, he was always on the outskirts behind the likes of Terry and Cahill, Stones never played regularly for England until he joined City, Barkley has never had a consistent run, Osman had one call up and both Baines and Jags were scapegoated for the 2014 World Cup almost solely down to them being Everton players

I simply will not budge on this

I think Southgate and Fat Sam hate Everton so would probably ignore our players. Livermore, Crosswell lol. Maybe he will call-up Keane that's about it and he will play 15 mins in a match.

A game set up for Ross that last night. We needed him and what he offers to see that game off.

No punch from this midfield; no ball carriers apart from Rooney who doesn't have the pace and C-L who doesn't have the ability to slalom.

A crying shame this lad is moving on.

Yes his mighty 5 goals and 8 assists a season will just be impossible to replace.

As will his constant bad decision making and losing of possession.

How will we cope I wonder.

Whenever a good player wants to leave they almost suddenly don't become any good at football any more

Stones, Lukaku and now Barkley have all suddenly become bad footballers

Funny how that happens

Certainly not Lukaku he is quality. Barkley is ok while I never rate Stones. He just isn't that good when coming to the art of defending. Look at the way he played DCL onside for our goal.

And when a player want to leave and people want to use it as a stick to beat the manager with as they have an agenda with them, they suddenly become Messi overnight.

Hilarious when that happens! :)

I have no agenda with the manager

My only agenda is with people acting like Ross is suddenly rubbish now he wants to leave, when he patently isn't

It is they who have the agenda I fear

I have no agenda with the manager

My only agenda is with people acting like Ross is suddenly rubbish now he wants to leave, when he patently isn't

It is they who have the agenda I fear

The truth is somewhere in the middle really.

He is a good premier league player. It would be nice to keep hold of him as he is good enough to play for the first team and a very good squad player.

At the same time he is not irreplaceable either. If he goes he goes.

Jags was never a fixture, he was always on the outskirts behind the likes of Terry and Cahill, Stones never played regularly for England until he joined City, Barkley has never had a consistent run, Osman had one call up and both Baines and Jags were scapegoated for the 2014 World Cup almost solely down to them being Everton players

I simply will not budge on this
Since when?

Never stopped Baines or Ross himself from getting a call up.

Baines was unlucky to have Ashley Cole ahead of him before nailing down the LB spot after the former's retirement.....Barkley has brought his current international and club travails on his own head with his inconsistent form.

Jags became a fixture in the England back four for a number of years.

A teenage Wayne Rooney went straight into the England team and became a sensation in Euro 2004.

Stones made his England debut whilst still with us.

And at one time Leon Osman and Jack Rodwell were on the field at the same time in a Wembley international.

Think on that one :)

Everton

No sir.....playing for Everton is no impediment in a player's England international career.

Except in Hibbo's case......playing for Everton meant he never got a chance at international level :rant:

I think you are both correct to a degree. There is nothing to suggest that playing for Everton is a barrier to being picked for England. In fact the stats suggest the opposite. Since 2000, 10 players have been given their first England cap whilst being an Everton player. Only Spurs (13) have more.

However once they are in, I do feel they are given a particularly hard time by the national press and so called experts. Barkley in particular is continually criticised for his ball retention when the likes of Sterling and Alli especially get away with murder in that respect. Baines had a hard time. I remember him once being ridiculed for some throw away comment (responding to a direct question by the way) of missing his family, and subsequently being left out of the final squad. Then in the 2012 world cup both he and Jags were wrongly made scapegoats for poor tactics and game management. The 2016 euros was crying out for a change but Stones and Barkley were the only players not to get an game time. Ross I could understand because he was so out of condition, but Stones offered something different.

I would say "ENGLISH Evertonians" from outside the city of Liverpool and greater Merseyside area are more likely to be big England fans than those of us raised within.

Particularly our southern based brethren :)

But whether Scouse or not, I can't see any Evertonian not care about Everton primarily over England.....nor indeed the national team of wherever our worldwide fan base is domiciled.

That would be bizarre to me :Blink:
You would be surprised mate. I had a few tasty conversations with our Irish brethren over McCarthy after he got injured again prior to the last derby. I think on the whole, the Irish would possibly put country before club. Not everyone but, from the conversations on here, I would suggest the majority. I'm not saying that's wrong by the way, everybody is entitled to their choice. Just saying the concept is nowhere near as bizarre as you may think.:)

I think you are both correct to a degree. There is nothing to suggest that playing for Everton is a barrier to being picked for England. In fact the stats suggest the opposite. Since 2000, 10 players have been given their first England cap whilst being an Everton player. Only Spurs (13) have more.

However once they are in, I do feel they are given a particularly hard time by the national press and so called experts. Barkley in particular is continually criticised for his ball retention when the likes of Sterling and Alli especially get away with murder in that respect. Baines had a hard time. I remember him once being ridiculed for some throw away comment (responding to a direct question by the way) of missing his family, and subsequently being left out of the final squad. Then in the 2012 world cup both he and Jags were wrongly made scapegoats for poor tactics and game management. The 2016 euros was crying out for a change but Stones and Barkley were the only players not to get an game time. Ross I could understand because he was so out of condition, but Stones offered something different.

A very sensible post, Fred.

And yes, I agree.

Once in the team, the press are very ready to scapegoat our guys......Jags versus Uruguay being the prime example.

Slippy was like the rubber man and let an easily cleared ball drift over his head but it was Jags who copped the blame from the press for being"out of position" as Suarez scored.

And that of course is a whole different debate to whether or not playing for EFC inhibits a fellow's chances of actually playing for England.

I didn't realise we were second only to Spurs in the amount of new caps for England this century, with ten.

Let me see if I can name them off the top of my head.

Ross Barkley, obviously as this is his thread :)

Then....Wayne, Baines, Rodwell, Jags, Ossie, Stones all for sure.

Then AJ, Beattie and Richard Wright?

Status
Not open for further replies.