Man City vs Everton... Match Report and MotM Poll...

Everton Man of the Match

• Jordan Pickford

Votes: 20 3.5%
  • Leighton Baines

Votes: 13 2.3%
  • Phil Jagielka

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • Ashley Williams

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Michael Keane

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Mason Holgate

Votes: 24 4.2%
  • Morgan Schneiderlin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Idrissa Gana Gueye

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Tom Davies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 394 69.2%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 52 9.1%
  • Gylfi Sigurdsson

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Davy Klaassen

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Mo Besic

Votes: 7 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...I appreciate we were under the cosh but we very rarely, if at all got midfielders ahead of DCL in the same way as Gueye did for his goal against Hadjuk Split. It's the missing element now, creativity and threat against the top teams to take us to that level.

What struck me more than anything was Man City's insecurity

The big video at the start talking about how "this is OUR City"
The firework display for a standard league match with nothing on the line
The fact the City players got music before coming out for the second half

It just felt like constant over compensating to drive home the point that "We matter, we're important, look how important and big we are!!!"

Why don't you just be Manchester City? You know, a proper club with real history that's existed for years and was still getting 20,000+ crowds even in the lower league? Why don't you just be them instead of trying to be something you aren't?

As for the match itself, after a nights sleep I'm happy enough with the point. City were so much better than us even with 10 men, but we showed good Dunkirk spirit not to wither after conceding the equaliser and when Schneiderlin went off. Under previous regimes we might have then gone on to lose the game, but we held on and got a point. I would have taken a point before kick off

Thought Holgate and DCL both played well, as did Gana. I think we still need a striker, but aside from that I think we have the makings of a good side, with a lot of good young players as well. Something is definitely being built here

Twice City have had to salvage a point at home vs us throwing all they have in the second half.

Handed Guardiola his heaviest league defeat. Longest a guardiola team has failed to beat a team (3) attempts. If this is an Everton still a long way off where they want to be then we can expect great things.
Win at home and draw away at least and we're on the right road.

I know people would have taken the result before the game but from a goal and a man up most top half sides in the prem would win that game. Every season sides worse than us will win away at a top 6 ground, yet we will not because of exactly the sort of mentality we saw last night. We got in the position to win and completely choked.

What struck me more than anything was Man City's insecurity

The big video at the start talking about how "this is OUR City"
The firework display for a standard league match with nothing on the line
The fact the City players got music before coming out for the second half

It just felt like constant over compensating to drive home the point that "We matter, we're important, look how important and big we are!!!"

Why don't you just be Manchester City? You know, a proper club with real history that's existed for years and was still getting 20,000+ crowds even in the lower league? Why don't you just be them instead of trying to be something you aren't?

As for the match itself, after a nights sleep I'm happy enough with the point. City were so much better than us even with 10 men, but we showed good Dunkirk spirit not to wither after conceding the equaliser and when Schneiderlin went off. Under previous regimes we might have then gone on to lose the game, but we held on and got a point. I would have taken a point before kick off

Thought Holgate and DCL both played well, as did Gana. I think we still need a striker, but aside from that I think we have the makings of a good side, with a lot of good young players as well. Something is definitely being built here
There is a saying of "dress for the job you want, not the job you've got". This is what City are doing. If you create an image of yourself it will become reality.

There is a saying of "dress for the job you want, not the job you've got". This is what City are doing. If you create an image of yourself it will become reality.

I don't think it will do though, because enough of the older fans still go and know it's all nonsense. They'll never truly "buy in"

That's the thing with City, they're a proper club with proper fans who got given loads of money. They're not an artificial club created thanks to money, they're an actual real team and most of their real fans still go the game

I mean, their fan base openly reject the Champions League and boo the anthem

They'll never be what their owners want them to be, so they should just focus on being themselves and having pride in that

That's how I see it anyway

I don't think it will do though, because enough of the older fans still go and know it's all nonsense. They'll never truly "buy in"

That's the thing with City, they're a proper club with proper fans who got given loads of money. They're not an artificial club created thanks to money, they're an actual real team and most of their real fans still go the game

I mean, their fan base openly reject the Champions League and boo the anthem

They'll never be what their owners want them to be, so they should just focus on being themselves and having pride in that

That's how I see it anyway
They are creating a global brand. I am not sure it really matters to the owners what teh fans on the gate think.

...I appreciate we were under the cosh but we very rarely, if at all got midfielders ahead of DCL in the same way as Gueye did for his goal against Hadjuk Split. It's the missing element now, creativity and threat against the top teams to take us to that level.

Hopefully Gylfi can provide that.

Issue was yesterday we couldn't get him on the ball, and evidently he lacked sharpness.

For me, that's the only mistake really. It may not have made much of a difference, but I think at that stage we needed more pace to stretch the game and that would have suited Kev or Lookman.

But, at the end of the day, what actually cost us was a defensive error, from a player who overall was excellent on the night.

Other than that, for all of their possession and half chances, City only had one dangerous effort in the second half, that Pickford did well to save.

I know people would have taken the result before the game but from a goal and a man up most top half sides in the prem would win that game. Every season sides worse than us will win away at a top 6 ground, yet we will not because of exactly the sort of mentality we saw last night. We got in the position to win and completely choked.

We didn't 'choke'. We simply were up against a team who are superb in every department going forward, regardless of how many men we have on the pitch.

It's not a mentality issue. We just lacked a little bit of nous at times - summed up for me by Koeman saying he wasn't happy with how many long balls we played forward.

And, as I've just said, the only thing that ended up costing us in the end was a mistake from Holgate.

DCL was MOTM for sure. Great running all night.

Klaassen looks out of his depth but its still early so hopefully he gets in to it.

Pickfords distribution was quality

Real shame for Holdgate, he was quality throughout and owned Sane.

Loved Mo coming on and running straight in to a quality slide.

Total bollocks that second yellow for Schneiderlin as well. Should get over turned.

Hold tight boys its gonna be a busy few weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.