The Croatian situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proper small time outfit really, like a load of backwater 5th division fans at there first away match, wiggied off skol super and 1-in-8 lem

There's a touch of 'holier than thou' in this discussion. It's worth reminding ourselves that the fans of English clubs and the national team rampaged across the continent for over two decades, so it's hardly surprising that some visiting fans seek to return the compliment.
Football has always had at its heart an anarchic potential for violence and mayhem its undoubtedly part of its attraction. Think of the original game , essentially two villages kicking lumps out of each other in which people were frequently maimed and even killed, and you can see its bloody origin. Even in today's sanitised game it still bubbles under the surface as at West Ham last season, or at Boro vSheff U. recently or even the little crew of Stoke bells who tried to kick off last week, before melting surreptitiously into the crowd outside.
For me ,sat next to the Croats last night, they were no worse than sitting next to Utd or the RS ,like them just another bunch of mouthy foreigners.

The stewards piped them down cause the top lads did everything they could to stop the escalation, as it would mean expulsion from Europe. If not, your moms&kids stand would have been charged and thank God it didnt come to that
So if there was no threat of a ban from Europe then your supporters would have attacked the 'moms&kids?

And how would they have justified this?

For me ,sat next to the Croats last night, they were no worse than sitting next to Utd or the RS ,like them just another bunch of mouthy foreigners.

Oh come on mate, although it was pretty much handbags at fifty yards, so is getting blown out of proportion a bit, they did try to get on the pitch en masse, which makes them a bit different to the Utd and RS fans.

Anyone who knows me clearly knows I'd never waste a pie.

Seriously though, it'd be great not to stereotype Croatians. As scousers we know all too well the damage stereotypes (often inaccurate) can do.

Yes the Split fans were awful, but that's not representative of every Croatian.
My brother when he goes the match he buys his pies from Prescot for himself and the family always good pie makers in Prescot - Rays etc - disgraceful behavior from their fans alcohol related that's what chang, and carling does for you!

My brother when he goes the match he buys his pies from Prescot for himself and the family always good pie makers in Prescot - Rays etc - disgraceful behavior from their fans alcohol related that's what chang, and carling does for you!

Unless they've been blasting Chang up their nose Joseph I don't think that's what pushed them over the edge

There's a touch of 'holier than thou' in this discussion. It's worth reminding ourselves that the fans of English clubs and the national team rampaged across the continent for over two decades, so it's hardly surprising that some visiting fans seek to return the compliment.
Football has always had at its heart an anarchic potential for violence and mayhem its undoubtedly part of its attraction. Think of the original game , essentially two villages kicking lumps out of each other in which people were frequently maimed and even killed, and you can see its bloody origin. Even in today's sanitised game it still bubbles under the surface as at West Ham last season, or at Boro vSheff U. recently or even the little crew of Stoke bells who tried to kick off last week, before melting surreptitiously into the crowd outside.

Aye, 30+ years ago.

A few Stoke fans shouting a bit of abuse at the Paddock really isn't the same as at least a hundred people trying to get into the park end via the pitch. I've been at loads of away games and seen plenty of trouble (although nothing like the 70s/80s) even recently; City in the league cup semi, Sunderland, United etc. I'm not wet behind the ears, but to see it happening en masse inside the ground was just a bit mad.

I don't know why people feel the need to defend them, they were a gang of idiots. No one's saying they're the only idiots in world football and the club should be banned from competition for 200 years, but that's what they were.

Just watched it back and it's over 3 minutes between our goal and the boos that indicate they're acting like idiots. Although that's just how long it took them to figure out what it means when the ball goes in their net and they start from the centre circle again, I reckon.

Haha
There's likely some truth in that !

In reality it was probably

• Oh, they've scored
  • Oh, they're singing ( then we get a corner )
  • Oh, they're still singing and some of them are pointing at us and laughing
  • They have a quick chat and decide to act like plebs
  • They act like plebs

Aye, 30+ years ago.

A few Stoke fans shouting a bit of abuse at the Paddock really isn't the same as at least a hundred people trying to get into the park end via the pitch. I've been at loads of away games and seen plenty of trouble (although nothing like the 70s/80s) even recently; City in the league cup semi, Sunderland, United etc. I'm not wet behind the ears, but to see it happening en masse inside the ground was just a bit mad.

I don't know why people feel the need to defend them, they were a gang of idiots. No one's saying they're the only idiots in world football and the club should be banned from competition for 200 years, but that's what they were.

Plus also, when I was in my teens or early twenties, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at their tittishness last night but its different when your taking your kids as you've got someone else to take care of. I was in the upper street end so nowhere near the trouble but of course I knew there would be kids all over the ground and they don't want to see crap like that.

Absolute bellends they were and made an absolute show of themselves

Aye, 30+ years ago.

Not being funny mate but if a hundred or so of them wanted to get in the park end then they easily could have. They didn't want to because a handful of stewards certainly couldn't have stopped them. They were just puffing there chest and moobs out acting hard with no intention on getting in the Park End. Bravado.

I've a sneaky feeling I know who kicked off after the sugar rush

upload_2017-8-18_18-18-45.png

Don’t care.

Plus also, when I was in my teens or early twenties, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at their tittishness last night but its different when your taking your kids as you've got someone else to take care of. I was in the upper street end so nowhere near the trouble but of course I knew there would be kids all over the ground and they don't want to see crap like that.

Absolute bellends they were and made an absolute show of themselves

Aye I was in the street end too mate, torn between thinking it was a disgrace and laughing at the stewards by us doing everything they could to avoid going down there, not that you can blame them like. There was one fella who may as well have been walking two steps forward one step back.

Aye I was in the street end too mate, torn between thinking it was a disgrace and laughing at the stewards by us doing everything they could to avoid going down there, not that you can blame them like. There was one fella who may as well have been walking two steps forward one step back.

One thing it did do was rile up the goodison crowd, I thought it was a great atmosphere from the start up until we took our foot off the gas on about the hour mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.