New CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
We always did need 2 top class central defenders this window.

Keane was one.

There are lots out there that would improve us as we are starting from a poor benchmark.
Jagielka was once a colossus but age father time has caught up. Williams is solid but lacks a yard that can be crucial.
Holgate is brilliant in a 3 (my preference), but looks exposed in a back 2. Mori is erratic and clumsy (good squad player).
The rest are not up to scratch sadly.

VVD/Koulibaly would be ideal. Mawson looks a very good prospect (would be funny after Sigurdsson to say 'while we are here how much for...)
Gibson could form a potential partnership with Keane, the likes we have not seen since Jags and Lescott at their best.

Certainly a position that needs upgrading.

A team that expects to do absolutely anything in a season - ESPECIALLY talking about multiple competitions and making a challenge in each, needs at least 3 quality cb's good enough to start.

We have one in Keane and a borderline one in Williams, Jagielka, Pennington, Holgate and Mori (although now a none factor), what teams would any of them be starting for in this league - seriously, because we are a suspension or god forbid a long term injury from that being exactly the case.

Keane picks up a knock last pre season game say, we go into those opening fixtures with Williams and Jagielka starting at cb and the season will be almost dead before it's started.

May sound hyperbole, but actually pretty accurate i believe.

IF we aren't willing to shell out for an absolutely top class one in the likes of VVD, Koulibaly and that ilk, then go to the next tier down with the likes of Manolas, De Vrij and numerous other quality players available for the right price who would improve not only the starting 11 but also give us Williams then as depth rather than Jags or Pennington, hell even go buy Gibson - not the best in the world, but at least a very good solid cb with enough pace that playing him doesn't alter everything about the strategy used like we have to do with Jags.

Said before though, failing to properly invest at cb IMO shows a huge lack of ambition - and means we are 'hoping' that our first two stay fit all season

Keane and Williams would be pretty decent, but if we are to replace Williams, I like the VVD shout (but expensive), not seen too much of Gibson, but he's highly rated. No to Mawson at the moment - a lot to prove. The United lad sounds a bargain at the prices quoted, but concerns around fitness/injury?
One more to throw into the mix - that Liverpool lad who went to Palace on loan. Attitude problems and about as graceful as an elephant on ice skates, but very effective?

Ummm they said New CB..

Cobrs-29-LTD-Best-CB-Radio_large.jpg

A team that expects to do absolutely anything in a season - ESPECIALLY talking about multiple competitions and making a challenge in each, needs at least 3 quality cb's good enough to start.

We have one in Keane and a borderline one in Williams, Jagielka, Pennington, Holgate and Mori (although now a none factor), what teams would any of them be starting for in this league - seriously, because we are a suspension or god forbid a long term injury from that being exactly the case.

Keane picks up a knock last pre season game say, we go into those opening fixtures with Williams and Jagielka starting at cb and the season will be almost dead before it's started.

May sound hyperbole, but actually pretty accurate i believe.

IF we aren't willing to shell out for an absolutely top class one in the likes of VVD, Koulibaly and that ilk, then go to the next tier down with the likes of Manolas, De Vrij and numerous other quality players available for the right price who would improve not only the starting 11 but also give us Williams then as depth rather than Jags or Pennington, hell even go buy Gibson - not the best in the world, but at least a very good solid cb with enough pace that playing him doesn't alter everything about the strategy used like we have to do with Jags.

Said before though, failing to properly invest at cb IMO shows a huge lack of ambition - and means we are 'hoping' that our first two stay fit all season

I thought that with either Kenny or Cuco Martina coming in at RB it would be Keane, Holgate, Jags, Williams, Pennington as the order of choice for CB, which doesn't look so bad. We can't overhaul every position in one season, and Pennington and Holgate might get there. When we play 3 at the back, it could be Holgate, Keane, Besic at the back which would be nice

I thought that with either Kenny or Cuco Martina coming in at RB it would be Keane, Holgate, Jags, Williams, Pennington as the order of choice for CB, which doesn't look so bad. We can't overhaul every position in one season, and Pennington and Holgate might get there. When we play 3 at the back, it could be Holgate, Keane, Besic at the back which would be nice

Pennington is not far away from being 23 already mate - he's hardly a kid - and he looks well short of the quality needed at the top end of the league, and likely always will be, Holgate hasn't got the physicality to play yet in a back four as a centre back either.

We really do need another centre back in who isn't A. a kid not ready, or B. nearing a pension with no legs or pace

As for Besic, in some game maybe, against some of the strikers in this league he would get absolutely murdered mate

Pennington is not far away from being 23 already mate - he's hardly a kid - and he looks well short of the quality needed at the top end of the league, and likely always will be, Holgate hasn't got the physicality to play yet in a back four as a centre back either.

We really do need another centre back in who isn't A. a kid not ready, or B. nearing a pension with no legs or pace

As for Besic, in some game maybe, against some of the strikers in this league he would get absolutely murdered mate

Yeah that's all true actually. I / other people always favour the young kids and hope that they are really good, obviously cos it would be great to get top class home grown talent. I thought he was just really nervous and out of his depth, but that he might get better and haven't seen him play much. Looks like Holgate/Keane/Jags/Baines is the starting back four, which means that Williams, Pennington, Mori are all surplus. need to sell Pennington, Mori and buy someone then I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.