Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Sad day today. My Daughter is in her final year of Secondary & at the same time, is on the cusp of going to the next level in Netball. Unfortunately, it's been too much for her to cope & last week, I had to call her an Ambulance as she had a full blown anxiety attack. She's getting all the help she needs but today we bit the bullet & called time on the Netball. It's the right call & we all know it.

Broke my heart typing out the email to the club though. I'm not one of "those" Parents. I just sit quietly watching my kids. I don't push so everything she's done has been by herself & with her own ability. Still...found it tough. Not as tough as Bradley's Parents...(perspective)...but tough all the same.

Obviously, it's not just about the sport, it's about her struggling full stop. Quitting the team is, in a way, a form of surrendering that I find difficult. The emphasis on academic achievement is just too much on the kids these days & they end up stressing in a far unhealthy way. IMHO.
I feel so sorry for young people today - there is so much pressure on them, and girls more so than boys. My daughter is 19, she's gorgeous, a six foot tall red head with curves in all the right places. She hates her hair, her figure, that she's tall. All down to the crap she reads in magazines and sees on the telly about how you have to be thin, a size 12 is fat etc....

I feel for your daughter, last year of school is tough too, again so much pressure on them. I'd hate to be a teenager nowadays. Sending you and her happy thoughts. x

I feel so sorry for young people today - there is so much pressure on them, and girls more so than boys. My daughter is 19, she's gorgeous, a six foot tall red head with curves in all the right places. She hates her hair, her figure, that she's tall. All down to the crap she reads in magazines and sees on the telly about how you have to be thin, a size 12 is fat etc....

I feel for your daughter, last year of school is tough too, again so much pressure on them. I'd hate to be a teenager nowadays. Sending you and her happy thoughts. x

Chapelle nails society's pressures completely at about the 1:45 mark.

Is she struggling with stepping up to the next level in Netball mate or the incredible pressure kids young people are put under in school - or both combined ?.

The reason I ask, is that could she not take some timeout from Netball amd then be gently be eased back in ?.

If her coaches are any good they'll understand and make allowances ?.

I should imagine that she's been playing for years now and has a lot of friends through netball. Plus she'll miss the structure and routine of playing and training ?.

It must be heart breaking for her mate x
Cheers mate. Yes, she can take time off & the club have been marvelous to her. She's still eligible for U19's next season & the Pres. of the club has already said she's looking forward to having her back in 2018.

We'll see how she settles down & might let her play for her local club later in the year, if she's up to it. ;)

Thank you. I know how she feels re the height. My6 daughter is 6'3" & has similar height issues, but I think she's ok with it overall.

You're spot on about the pressure though. So sad for them.

Sad day today. My Daughter is in her final year of Secondary & at the same time, is on the cusp of going to the next level in Netball. Unfortunately, it's been too much for her to cope & last week, I had to call her an Ambulance as she had a full blown anxiety attack. She's getting all the help she needs but today we bit the bullet & called time on the Netball. It's the right call & we all know it.

Broke my heart typing out the email to the club though. I'm not one of "those" Parents. I just sit quietly watching my kids. I don't push so everything she's done has been by herself & with her own ability. Still...found it tough. Not as tough as Bradley's Parents...(perspective)...but tough all the same.

Obviously, it's not just about the sport, it's about her struggling full stop. Quitting the team is, in a way, a form of surrendering that I find difficult. The emphasis on academic achievement is just too much on the kids these days & they end up stressing in a far unhealthy way. IMHO.
Damn mate. Tough time that final year of school. Hope she is going to be fine. Whole life ahead of her.

Damn mate. Tough time that final year of school. Hope she is going to be fine. Whole life ahead of her.
Cheers mate. Yes, got to be ever vigilant with kids these days. Look for the warning signs & stay alert to behavioral changes. Our girl has always had a disposition to anxiety & we've kept an eye out but sometimes, out of the blue, it hits home hard.

Hi lids, not posted in here for a while, hope everyone is doing well.

So about a fortnight ago I got went to order my prescription online like I have been doing for a good few years now, anyway the way I put my repeat in had changed and I had to phone the Drs to get some username etc, which was a massive pain in the arse, finally got it sorted and the new form already had my repeats in(or so I thought) so I simply ticked them to say i wanted them all(I'm on loads of meds).

A few days later I picked up my prescription and when I came to take them the next day I noticed my Sertraline were missing. I thought I was doing great, I've been back to normal since christmas and thought sod it, let's see how it goes, the puppy is keeping me happy n laughing and walking so why not.

About 2-3 weeks later now and my back started playing up again about 10 days ago, I've had to take time off work and can't even take the pup out because she moves around me too much. My mood and emotional state have absolutely nosedived off a cliff, I am back to crying all the time and that feeling of hopelessness(depression sufferers will understand this) has started to rear its ugly head.

I thought I was strong and doing great, yet in less than a month of not taking my tablets, it's knocked me back to last year, I hate work again and want to quit, even though I know it's not the right thing and I can't think beyond tomorrow, just can't see a future.

I just wanted to vent and put this down for myself, hope you all don't mind.

So about a fortnight ago I got went to order my prescription online like I have been doing for a good few years now, anyway the way I put my repeat in had changed and I had to phone the Drs to get some username etc, which was a massive pain in the arse, finally got it sorted and the new form already had my repeats in(or so I thought) so I simply ticked them to say i wanted them all(I'm on loads of meds).

A few days later I picked up my prescription and when I came to take them the next day I noticed my Sertraline were missing. I thought I was doing great, I've been back to normal since christmas and thought sod it, let's see how it goes, the puppy is keeping me happy n laughing and walking so why not.

About 2-3 weeks later now and my back started playing up again about 10 days ago, I've had to take time off work and can't even take the pup out because she moves around me too much. My mood and emotional state have absolutely nosedived off a cliff, I am back to crying all the time and that feeling of hopelessness(depression sufferers will understand this) has started to rear its ugly head.

I thought I was strong and doing great, yet in less than a month of not taking my tablets, it's knocked me back to last year, I hate work again and want to quit, even though I know it's not the right thing and I can't think beyond tomorrow, just can't see a future.

Get back to the doctors and ask for the medication that you need, mate. Don't struggle on if you don't have to.

I see her on the 26th bare in mind I booked a week ago, ridiculous. I will, just really disappointed that I reverted so easily, made me feel [Poor language removed] that has, like I'm never going to get over this nonsense.

You're only human, mate. Try not to beat yourself up about it (easier said than done). Just stick to the meds that work for you until you're ready.

That waiting time is an absolute disgrace btw.. Is there anything you can do to bring it forward?

You're only human, mate. Try not to beat yourself up about it (easier said than done). Just stick to the meds that work for you until you're ready.

That waiting time is an absolute disgrace btw.. Is there anything you can do to bring it forward?

Nothing, getting in is really bad, it's always call back at 8 in the morning to see if any appointments are released and because I don't think my long term problem is an emergency I don't like to take appointments that other people may need :(

I did the same thing years ago and came off mine, just to see what would happen, as I thought I was ok.

Same happened to me mate, that horrible spiral down and the terrible feeling of despair and helplessness that it brings.

Just keep posting on here mate, until you can get back to your GP's.

As you know, the simple fact that you've let others know how you're feeling and the support that they can give, even if it's online, can really make a difference x

I've been on the phone to employee health, they're setting up counselling and see the Dr at 4pm today to get my meds and have a chat. I've put things in motion, the employee assistance lady said she was surprised that I was even up out of bed after just stopping my sertraline, I hope i told her the right dosage, I'm a bit confused now.

I am really really shocked how quickly I have relapsed because I've been doing great, my back is a worry but overall I've been normal, then boom.

Just need to get them back in my system asap. At least i know they're not placebo.

I see her on the 26th bare in mind I booked a week ago, ridiculous. I will, just really disappointed that I reverted so easily, made me feel [Poor language removed] that has, like I'm never going to get over this nonsense.
If the meds make you happy, don't worry about dependence on them, just use them. We're all dependent on things for happiness, such as food, drink, air, friends, Everton not being shoite on a Saturday. Treat the meds as you would food.