Everton Youth Teams Thread

And clearly isn't working in tournament football. No player should feel like they're entitled to a position no matter what they've done in the past.

Nail on head that mate. It leads to
cliqueyness.

I think it's hard to find the balance as national manager between loyalty to the tried and tested and giving form players a go. There are arguments for both. Take Podolski and Miroslav Close for Germany. Loew stayed loyal to them despite years of average club form and was rewarded by both of them.

I think it's hard to find the balance as national manager between loyalty to the tried and tested and giving form players a go. There are arguments for both. Take Podolski and Miroslav Close for Germany. Loew stayed loyal to them despite years of average club form and was rewarded by both of them.
Because rather than fitting square pegs in round holes he plays a system to suit the players. Unlike our lot. I hope Southgate doesn't fall into the same trap.

Also a case of the "top" clubs stockpiling young talent from an early age. Look at the youth success at Chelsea and City in recent years and none are making the step up, instead they are out on loan and in a number of cases in a different country. Patrick Roberts traded first team football at Fulham for a loan move to Scotland, he'll win some medals but will he play Premier League football at City?

Interesting article on the bbc today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39355514

Uefa president wants transfer reforms to end big club domination

The head of European football wants to change the transfer system to stop big clubs "hoarding" the best players.

Some of Europe's smaller leagues have complained about big teams signing up their best players at a young age, only to immediately send them on loan elsewhere.

In the Premier League, Chelsea had more than 30 players out on loan earlier this season, while in Italy champions Juventus have more than 50 players loaned out.

50 players?? That's ridiculous! :eek:

....2-0 up at half time. Solanke and Roberts on the scoresheet.
Solanke has been really good for the England youth teams, real shame he hasn't had any chance to see if he can do the same in the English leagues yet.

"José Mourinho stated a belief that he should blame himself were Solanke not to become a senior Englandinternational under his management, and indicated that the player would train with the first-team squad during the 2014–15 season"

Solanke has been really good for the England youth teams, real shame he hasn't had any chance to see if he can do the same in the English leagues yet.

"José Mourinho stated a belief that he should blame himself were Solanke not to become a senior Englandinternational under his management, and indicated that the player would train with the first-team squad during the 2014–15 season"

..yep, I know you rate him but very few of the successful youth players seem to come through at Chelsea. Not sure if Roberts is the little midfielder I like at Spurs.