martinez -- short term approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the next 2 seasons the following will be over 30 and have low resale values or in fact be finished....

Howard
Hibbert
Distin
Jagielka
Heitinga
Baines
Osman
Pienaar
Jelavic
Kone (signing i think)
Alcaraz (signing i think)

That's 9-11 players including our entire goalkeeper and defence other than coleman.

Is Martinez bringing in Kone and Alcaraz for his own short-term benefit (low-risk) to keep him in a job? The Barca youngster could be brilliant but again its a one season short term signing so doesn't give us any stability.

For me, we need a young backup keeper (robles mentioned) and for;

Garbutt
Duffy
Stones
Lundstram
Barkley

To actually have gametime this season to see if they can replace the older players over the next two seasons.

I've seen alot of posts on here over the years saying X player has been loyal and should be kept to retirement but its cost alot of money Arteta/Cahill and now Baines. Cahill replaced sooner 'may' have allowed us to have had the extra cash to have a quality forward by now for example.

I'd be very concerned if Martinez did go down the route of signing players around 30 years old.

stating the obvious that the manager probably already knew and like i said key word MANAGER will sort this out so well done for bringing up a negative thread, would this thread of been made if moyes was still in charge? dont think so, moyes is old news

stating the obvious that the manager probably already knew and like i said key word MANAGER will sort this out so well done for bringing up a negative thread, would this thread of been made if moyes was still in charge? dont think so, moyes is old news

I dont get your point before 'Moyes'...and if you look in the vaults ive been saying the same for 2 seasons now.

So you bringing up about moyes is a bit odd.

Depends on the quantity of signings; many seem to be under the impression that it'll be Alcaraz, Kone and that's yer lot. I have no doubt that Martinez will stick to his word and bring in at least 2 other players and I'll bet you they will be on the right side of 30

It looks a bit like;

GK - Robles or similar
DF -- Alcaraz
MF -- Gerard
Fw -- Kone

Almost their entire team was youth...im talking about integrating them over a season or two.

In all fairness, their team isn't any younger than 11-12. Clark, Weimann and Bannan all came through their youth system, but were already first team regulars last season. Delph was once the subject of a 5 million transfer, Lowton and Bennett are all multi-million footballers. The only "kid" is Nathan Baker who is already 22.

I am tempted to say they are a good example of moneyball but I should leave that to the readers' interpretation.

It's a no win situation if Martinez decides to blood our youngsters the Bill bashers will be up in arms blaming the board for not making a multitude of stella signings.
If Martinez signs some big names these will be shot down by the Bill bashers as not being good enough for Everton, Fellaini being a prime example. Classed as a panic buy.
Should Martinez sign any experienced players the Bill bashers will howl they have no resale value, and a false economy the club cannot afford.
In short there's no pleasing the Bill bashers as the negative aspect will always be foremost in their logic.
Roberto you have a mountain climb, here's hoping you can do just that.

It's a no win situation if Martinez decides to blood our youngsters the Bill bashers will be up in arms blaming the board for not making a multitude of stella signings.
If Martinez signs some big names these will be shot down by the Bill bashers as not being good enough for Everton, Fellaini being a prime example. Classed as a panic buy.
Should Martinez sign any experienced players the Bill bashers will howl they have no resale value, and a false economy the club cannot afford.
In short there's no pleasing the Bill bashers as the negative aspect will always be foremost in their logic.
Roberto you have a mountain climb, here's hoping you can do just that.

Personally i was very happy when we signed fellaini and even more happy with him now.

If coleman continues to improve and mirallas performs this season i think we are a centre mid and a centre forward away from having a top side....problem is no money.

Howard is a goal keeper, and GK's go for how long?
Hibbert sadly still hasnt made a full recovery, hate to concede he might be on borrowed time - Coleman to RB
Distin is 35 and a model pro - Duffy to CB
Jagielka Much younger than Distin and had 12 months out with his ACL injury so why not carry on similar to Distin - Stones in reserve
Heitinga Wants to leave, we got very little besides attitude from him last year - thinks he is cock of the wok. Isnt.
Baines Still 28, Oviedo to step in as cover
Osman great pro, two great feet, his game was never built on running faster than Usain Bolt. Barkley as cover
Pienaar Had a seasons sleep in, technically Gueye as cover
Jelavic is 27 and might be able to go back to being a striker. Vellion in reserve
Kone (signing i think) not signed yet
Alcaraz (signing i think) not signed yet, a utility player like Neville so one out of the door and one in possibly

All sides go through transition. But players are playing an awful lot longer nowadays - Giggs, Scholes, Lampard, Anelka even Kevin Phillips.

Status
Not open for further replies.