martinez -- short term approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
In the next 2 seasons the following will be over 30 and have low resale values or in fact be finished....

Howard
Hibbert
Distin
Jagielka
Heitinga
Baines
Osman
Pienaar
Jelavic
Kone (signing i think)
Alcaraz (signing i think)

That's 9-11 players including our entire goalkeeper and defence other than coleman.

Is Martinez bringing in Kone and Alcaraz for his own short-term benefit (low-risk) to keep him in a job? The Barca youngster could be brilliant but again its a one season short term signing so doesn't give us any stability.

For me, we need a young backup keeper (robles mentioned) and for;

Garbutt
Duffy
Stones
Lundstram
Barkley

To actually have gametime this season to see if they can replace the older players over the next two seasons.

I've seen alot of posts on here over the years saying X player has been loyal and should be kept to retirement but its cost alot of money Arteta/Cahill and now Baines. Cahill replaced sooner 'may' have allowed us to have had the extra cash to have a quality forward by now for example.

I'd be very concerned if Martinez did go down the route of signing players around 30 years old.

Christ, it's not Logan's run. Most defenders can still function at age thirty, and your list of players that are currently ours is mainly defenders. He only started work a week ago, I'd be interested in a degree of short termism on my seventh day of the job. I'm pretty sure one of his first jobs will be to send hibbert off to the glue factory anyway. Moyes wanked a years worth of wages on hitzlsperger, thats hardly planning for the future isit?

Why don't you wait until the window closes before you top yourself?

Most players these days don't drop in standard until they're at least 33/34, and some players will go on beyond that, so we don't need to be panicking just yet.

He has to think short term initially, because football fans are impatient and if things don't go well this season he'd soon be getting hounded out of his job, which wouldn't do the club any good at all. Stability is key to long term success. He's done everything right so far and i can't believe people are beginning to doubt him already.

In the next 2 seasons the following will be over 30 and have low resale values or in fact be finished....

Howard
Hibbert
Distin
Jagielka
Heitinga
Baines
Osman
Pienaar
Jelavic
Kone (signing i think)
Alcaraz (signing i think)

That's 9-11 players including our entire goalkeeper and defence other than coleman.

Is Martinez bringing in Kone and Alcaraz for his own short-term benefit (low-risk) to keep him in a job? The Barca youngster could be brilliant but again its a one season short term signing so doesn't give us any stability.

For me, we need a young backup keeper (robles mentioned) and for;

Garbutt
Duffy
Stones
Lundstram
Barkley

To actually have gametime this season to see if they can replace the older players over the next two seasons.

I've seen alot of posts on here over the years saying X player has been loyal and should be kept to retirement but its cost alot of money Arteta/Cahill and now Baines. Cahill replaced sooner 'may' have allowed us to have had the extra cash to have a quality forward by now for example.

I'd be very concerned if Martinez did go down the route of signing players around 30 years old.

Irrespective of the manager for now...it,s a big problem for the club looming because we need to invest heavily on new younger players...we can,t move forward with the current owners so we should be worried.

Apart from distin and hibbert, those players listed have at least 2 seasons left in them as first team/important players. The defenders....apart from two above, but mainly jags and baines have up to 5yrs left in them! Of course it needs to be kept an eye on and some more youngsters apart from Duffy, Oveido, garbutt, stones, maybe bringing in but....

As others have said, players don't retire or drop dead at 30. Infact a lot are in there prime ffs!! Our finances make us judge 30yr olds as criptinite!

People will convince themselves that players are like Peter Pan these days and can play on well in to their 30's.

But the fact is the aging players in the squad is a concern.

These are key players who are approaching, or over 30 that have played a huge part in us finishing in the upper reachers of the League for many years now.

The age of the squad was brought up by Moyes a few months back as a priority to address in this and future transfer windows.

I think that's why some fans are bemused and disappointed that it looks like we're adding to that problem rather than addressing it, by seemingly bringing in another couple of 30 year olds with a blatantly obvious limited transfer budget.

We've become a selling club these days and rely heavily on selling good players to generate a transfer pot to re-invest.

Rooney, Lescott, Arteta, Rodwell are just a few that have been sold to pacify the banks, and generate a little spending money.

But what's going to happen if we keep signing 30 year olds and have nobody in the squad that would generate any significant transfer fund?

Currently I can only see 3, possibly 4 that could be sold for a significant amount to re-invest.

Baines is one, but he would have to be sold now if he were to generate a "war chest". If he stays another year or two his transfer value will significantly drop due to his age.

Fellaini could be sold for around 20 million which could enable you to buy two or three good players.

Mirallas could be sold for a big profit on the 5-6 million paid.

And Ross Barkley is the other who could be sold for big money.

Other than those, everyone else in the squad couldn't be sold for anything near enough to rebuild an ageing squad.

It's sad that we find ourselves having to work this way but unfortunately that's the reality.
.Kenwright and the board are not suddenly going to back the manager with big funds without selling.

That's why it's vital that with any limited funds we do get, that we spend it on young unpolished gems like the 23 year old Arteta we signed all those years ago, to either grow in to the team and play an important role in keeping us competitive, and then inevitably sold on to generate more funds to repeat the cycle.

Nobody wants to see good players sold, but that's the business plan we've followed for a good few years now but the concern is, if we don't have any young, valuable assets left to sell, the manager is going to have to rely on Kenwright finding the funds from somewhere for future transfers...

Last edited:
Christ, it's not Logan's run. Most defenders can still function at age thirty, and your list of players that are currently ours is mainly defenders. He only started work a week ago, I'd be interested in a degree of short termism on my seventh day of the job. I'm pretty sure one of his first jobs will be to send hibbert off to the glue factory anyway. Moyes wanked a years worth of wages on hitzlsperger, thats hardly planning for the future isit?

Why don't you wait until the window closes before you top yourself?

Hahahaha. Like this post.

Your spot on too mate.

Everyone just needs to chill.

People will convince themselves that players are like Peter Pan these days and can play on well in to their 30's.

These are key players who are approaching, or over 30 that have played a huge part in us finishing in the upper reachers of the League for many years now.

The age of the squad was brought up by Moyes a few months back as a priority to address in this and future transfer windows.

I think that's why some fans are bemused and disappointed that it looks like we're adding to that problem rather than addressing it, by seemingly bringing in another couple of 30 year olds with a blatantly obvious limited transfer budget.

We've become a selling club these days and rely heavily on selling good players to generate a transfer pot to re-invest.

Rooney, Lescott, Arteta, Rodwell are just a few that have been sold to pacify the banks, and generate a little spending money.

But what's going to happen if we keep signing 30 year olds and have nobody in the squad that would generate any significant transfer fund?

Currently I can only see 3, possibly 4 that could be sold for a significant amount to re-invest.

Baines is one, but he has to be sold now. If he stays another year or two his transfer value will significantly drop due to his age.

Fellaini could be sold for around 20 million which could enable you to buy two or three good players.

Other than those, everyone else in the squad couldn't be sold for anything near enough to rebuild an ageing squad.

It's sad that we find ourselves having to work this way but unfortunately that's the reality.
.Kenwright and the board are not suddenly going to back the manager with big funds without selling.

That's why it's vital that with any limited funds we do get, that we spend it on young unpolished gems like the 23 year old Arteta we signed all those years ago, to either grow in to the team and play an important role in keeping us competitive, and then inevitably sold on to generate more funds to repeat the cycle.

Nobody wants to see good players sold, but that's the business plan we've followed for a good few years now but the concern is, if we don't have any young, valuable assets left to sell, the manager is going to have to rely on Kenwright finding the funds from somewhere for future transfers...

I think everyone agrees that the best approach long term is to bring players in before they reach their peak. Martinez has agreed with this in the past. However, he does need to start the job well if the fans are going to take to him, which is also important for the long term good of the club.

Baines is one, but he would have to be sold now if he were to generate a "war chest". If he stays another year or two his transfer value will significantly drop due to his age.

Excellent post.

Again, in this very thread there are people who actually reply "their legs don't fall off at 30".What an absolutely naive mindset.

If we allow these players to stay at the club until their 30's and towards retirement then who will replace them?

Baines value as you highlighted will drop. Selling him can bring in 2 good players. Fellaini the same but his value will be stable for another season.
Its totally insane to be adding to this top heavy squad age rather than reducing it.

"Peoples legs don't fall off at 30"....dearie me!!

Apart from distin and hibbert, those players listed have at least 2 seasons left in them as first team/important players. The defenders....apart from two above, but mainly jags and baines have up to 5yrs left in them! Of course it needs to be kept an eye on and some more youngsters apart from Duffy, Oveido, garbutt, stones, maybe bringing in but....

As others have said, players don't retire or drop dead at 30. Infact a lot are in there prime ffs!! Our finances make us judge 30yr olds as criptinite!

Err yes the last sentence correct...which means the defence needs to be recycled.

First season will be more or less testing testing 2014/2015 we will hit it big.

Everytime when peeps cry about 30s I stop and think..im 34. These are damn kids x

Im over 30 as well.

The sad news is that if this season is 'testing testing' then the team is a year older...at that point players will be on the downward spiral e.g distin/hibbert/osman at the very least....so there wont be any 'hitting it big' with no cash to replace them.

On top of that any new players need time to settle which is why they need to be integrated now.

Status
Not open for further replies.