martinez -- short term approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth waiting to see who Martinez signs before judging his transfer policy?

No-one has judged his transfer policy prematurely....the fact is that unless he signs young players then hes taking a short term approach.

Considering he's the best player to play for Everton since the 80's I think that would be unlikely. As I say I fully understand your theory, even more so as we are skint but I just feel it will hit us more then we think selling these players. One act of intention by the board in saying Baines is unavailable at any price will run confidence through the club.

I'd love to have a good go in the league next season with the addition of one centre forward and allowing our good players to express themselves. This team was ready to take off until it had the reigns pulled on them last season

Baines is a top player and if we had a billionaire then i think hed obviously stay. The thing is now, if he does stay and confidence does go through the club will that actually benefit us....?

I think Parkinson could have gone on to have a great career as could michael ball if smith hadnt have run him into oblivion. The best player since the 80s was Andrei Kanchelskis, a true world class player. This shows players can be bought.

average-age-of-epl-squads.png

Compared to other squads, we have a pretty averaged aged side, people are over exaggerating

On the subject of Martinez, just watched a set of interviews on evertontv. This man is very switched on and intelligent. He has ambition and a hunger to reach the very top as well as a seriously strong belief in the way football should be played (tiki-taka mixed with British blood and thunder) I have a very very good feeling about this guy. Yes he got relegated but he had serious injuries to his best defenders all year and was 6 points off mid-table above Swansea. I am fully behind his ideas and whatever moves he makes in the transfer market. He will move us forward.

So what if we have a number of players entering 30. That means nothing in today's game. Our players aren't on the ale every week, they look after themselves and train at a high level to stay competing in the premiership.

Either way, players come in who are young all the time. In 5 years the team will be completely different and in 5 years after that completely different. It's football, it's what happens.

average-age-of-epl-squads.png

Compared to other squads, we have a pretty averaged aged side, people are over exaggerating

Poppycock! The 'squad' we have brings the age down but the players in the squad are comprising of a fair few u19s who are nowhere near the team.

So what if we have a number of players entering 30. That means nothing in today's game. Our players aren't on the ale every week, they look after themselves and train at a high level to stay competing in the premiership.

Either way, players come in who are young all the time. In 5 years the team will be completely different and in 5 years after that completely different. It's football, it's what happens.

How do we buy these young players with money and a team with no resale value?

Ok, so what is the difference in prize money between 6th-9th for example?

Is it big enough that 9-11 players values shrink but can compensate for that with a couple of league placings?

The answer to this is no.

Why are you so concerned for us to buy players with a resale value - are you resigned to our great club being a feeder club. There is no guarantee that anyone with potential we will buy will ever be worth more. And following that theory the biggest profit to be made is via our own youngsters we bring through. The best way of alleviating our financial problems without a buyer/investor is success on the pitch. I want us to benefit from any players we develop not another club.

How do we buy these young players with money and a team with no resale value?

We have state of the art youth facilities and it is important to get the best out of our up and coming stars. United done it for years. So can we

Why are you so concerned for us to buy players with a resale value - are you resigned to our great club being a feeder club. There is no guarantee that anyone with potential we will buy will ever be worth more. And following that theory the biggest profit to be made is via our own youngsters we bring through. The best way of alleviating our financial problems without a buyer/investor is success on the pitch. I want us to benefit from any players we develop not another club.

Because otherwise the team wont have way to sign new players when all the old ones go downhill !!

Utd havent really had many top young players since the beckham days.

We have state of the art youth facilities and it is important to get the best out of our up and coming stars. United done it for years. So can we

In an ideal word perhaps but having great facilities doesnt mean much. Utd have had johnny evans /gibson and pretty much nothing else come through for years...they had the lad whose now at juventus- he looks a player. Not much though.

For us, the youth isnt an option, its the only choice...but we cant rely on it...we need to make young signings like garbutt and stones and pray to god they come off.

Not blow cash on nonsense like hitzlsperger or similar bench warmers.

I'd take 8-10th if it meant us blooding a load of youngsters.

In an ideal word perhaps but having great facilities doesnt mean much. Utd have had johnny evans /gibson and pretty much nothing else come through for years...they had the lad whose now at juventus- he looks a player. Not much though.

For us, the youth isnt an option, its the only choice...but we cant rely on it...we need to make young signings like garbutt and stones and pray to god they come off.

Not blow cash on nonsense like hitzlsperger or similar bench warmers.

I'd take 8-10th if it meant us blooding a load of youngsters.

Not the smartest strategy.

Just look at Villa last season.

In the next 2 seasons the following will be over 30 and have low resale values or in fact be finished....

Howard
Hibbert
Distin
Jagielka
Heitinga
Baines
Osman
Pienaar
Jelavic
Kone (signing i think)
Alcaraz (signing i think)

That's 9-11 players including our entire goalkeeper and defence other than coleman.

Is Martinez bringing in Kone and Alcaraz for his own short-term benefit (low-risk) to keep him in a job? The Barca youngster could be brilliant but again its a one season short term signing so doesn't give us any stability.

For me, we need a young backup keeper (robles mentioned) and for;

Garbutt
Duffy
Stones
Lundstram
Barkley

To actually have gametime this season to see if they can replace the older players over the next two seasons.

I've seen alot of posts on here over the years saying X player has been loyal and should be kept to retirement but its cost alot of money Arteta/Cahill and now Baines. Cahill replaced sooner 'may' have allowed us to have had the extra cash to have a quality forward by now for example.

I'd be very concerned if Martinez did go down the route of signing players around 30 years old.

We need money to do all of that.

We haven't got that much money.

You appear to be blaming the wrong person in Martinez for all of that.

Depends on the quantity of signings; many seem to be under the impression that it'll be Alcaraz, Kone and that's yer lot. I have no doubt that Martinez will stick to his word and bring in at least 2 other players and I'll bet you they will be on the right side of 30

Status
Not open for further replies.