6 + 2 Point Deductions

Seems to me that a lot of people think that losing £105 million every three years is an acceptable way to run a football club. Try doing that lower down the leagues and see where you get. It astonishes me that this threshold is seen as entirely normal and acceptable. Coming from a business environment, I'm puzzled by this as it seems ridiculous that you can continually be sanctioned to lose this amount of money.

Don't think anybody is saying it's acceptable, and them rules don't apply to the lower leagues, so that's a moot point.

Also, @gwladysnight what's your opinion on them rejecting the effect the Ukraine war had on our finances as mitigation?

Genuinely interested, as it's not something I've seen you touch upon, which is strange, because I think it's perhaps the biggest mitigation there is. I've seen you have opinions on Player X, but not this.
Apparently according to the report (can’t remember exact wording)…. This is a type of situation which all businesses can expect to face.

Like it’s an every day occurance…

It is at Premier League level where you only lose 9 pts. It is the same punishment you'd receive at Championship level or lower. I'd say, in general, that Premier League teams should be held to a higher standard. However, that standard needs to be set before play commences and not come along in an arbitrary way like this appears to have done in our case.
That makes no sense.
The PL rule book states the sanction for administration is 9 points and that is agreed by all clubs.
There is no higher standard or aspiration for one in the PL rule book and certainly not one that has been approved by all 20
Clubs.
Do you think PL clubs who are not in administration should be given a higher points deduction than those who are?

Everton’s understandable desire to improve its on-pitch performance (to replace the
non-existent midfield, as Mr Moshiri put it in evidence) led it to take chances
with its PSR position: those chances resulted in it exceeding the £105 million
threshold by £19.5 million.

The position that Everton finds itself in is of its own making – it is Everton’s
responsibility to ensure that it complies with the PSR regime. The excess
over the threshold is significant. The consequence is that Everton’s
culpability is great.
Yeah, Moshiri bought a midfield at a point during the four year period in an attempt to improve Everton. It was a gamble, and they would have expected a better league position to result from it. That's the chance the report talks about, a gamble as old as football. A ridiculous thing to say in evidence, but far from an admittance of a deliberate breach.

It's pretty strange: you quote the report over and again at people, yet every element, Moshiri's midfield, Players X and Y, the loan interest, you characterise as Everton's deliberate attempts to beat the rules, when it's a central conclusion of the report that they weren't.

The IC's verdict was that Everton had acted recklessly by continuing to sign players even though we knew we had huge PSR issues. The IC's verdict was that we had misled the Premier League over Stadium funding.

The IC made clear that both the PL and EFL have a starting point that significant breaches of PSR mean a points deduction.

The biggest thing is that the way PL PSR works is that it is almost impossible to accidentally breach them. You have to act in a reckless manner.
There is no sanction in the PL rule book for acting recklessly and breaching PSR but not going into administration so should PL clubs be sanctioned harder than those PL clubs that go administration ?

It’s a simple question…

Don't think anybody is saying it's acceptable, and them rules don't apply to the lower leagues, so that's a moot point.
If they go into admin then there are penalties.

On another note, UEFA has a threshold of 60M and a spending cap of 70% on wages by 25/26. I've seen some reference to the rules changing in the Premier League in August but from what I could see during the Parliamentary Committee meeting they were talking of trying to align themselves with this in 25/26 and not this year. So, if that is correct, the FFP limit will then be lowered for Prem. teams. Can see more fun and games then!

If they go into admin then there are penalties.

Yeah, of course, but my point was the rule only applies to Premier League clubs.

Losses have to be allowed. If Liverpool, for example, suddenly hit the buffers, and crash out of the top 4 and finish 17th, then there could potentially be a hole in their finances, as they'd lose out on huge sums they've probably budgeted for.

Maybe they'd still not make losses, but I assume they budget for top 4, and I'm using it as an example of the potential unpredictable nature of football finances.

That makes no sense.
The PL rule book states the sanction for administration is 9 points and that is agreed by all clubs.
There is no higher standard or aspiration for one in the PL rule book and certainly not one that has been approved by all 20
Clubs.
Do you think PL clubs who are not in administration should be given a higher points deduction than those who are?
Which part makes no sense?
The penalty for admin is apparently 9pts in the Prem because they play fewer games. In the Champ. it is 10pts. That rule is known to all clubs before a season starts.

I agree there is currently no higher standard or aspiration in the Prem but I'd argue that the elite 20 clubs in the country should be financially sound.
To me, and just my opinion, allowing clubs to lose 105M every three years gives those 20 clubs significant advantages over clubs in the Championship or lower.
This is why we see the playing standard between the leagues ever widening and why promoted teams usually get relegated. To me, it's the same argument we have about the top 6 teams in the Prem and the middle teams. At what point does the gap between teams start to even out? Never, the way things are run now.

Answering your question about PL clubs in admin, yes, on balance I probably do. I do think entering admin should have a higher penalty than breaking FFP or PSR.

Yeah, of course, but my point was the rule only applies to Premier League clubs.

Losses have to be allowed. If Liverpool, for example, suddenly hit the buffers, and crash out of the top 4, and finish 17th, then there could potentially be a hole in their finances, as they'd lose out on huge sums they've probably budgeted for.

Maybe, they'd still not make losses, but I assume they budget for top 4, and I'm using it as an example of the potential unpredictable nature of football finances.
So we're basically protecting those teams that fail to perform on the pitch and giving them a second chance?

If Liverpool or any other team are arrogant enough to think they can never have a bad season or never finish out of the top 4 and this is how their management team budgets, then they should pay the consequences.

Sorry, but to my limited business brain, losing money is foreign to me. It's the path to ruin but somehow, Prem. league teams are getting away with saying they should be an exception to the rule that isn't the same for all the other teams in English football. If that is what we / they are saying is acceptable, and that is what it appears to be right now, then there is no hope for the game and supporters of other teams who have any ambition.

So we're basically protecting those teams that fail to perform on the pitch and giving them a second chance?

If Liverpool or any other team are arrogant enough to think they can never have a bad season or never finish out of the top 4 and this is how their management team budgets, then they should pay the consequences.

Sorry, but to my limited business brain, losing money is foreign to me. It's the path to ruin but somehow, Prem. league teams are getting away with saying they should be an exception to the rule that isn't the same for all the other teams in English football. If that is what we / they are saying is acceptable, and that is what it appears to be right now, then there is no hope for the game and supporters of other teams who have any ambition.

First of all, at this level, 105 million over three years is a drop in the ocean for some. It's 5 years of Salah's wages.

You think every club should budget to finish 17th then? I'll be honest, it wouldn't be a terrible rule to implement, in terms of making it more competitive, and I personally wouldn't be opposed to that, but to be a top team, you have to pay top money, ergo budget to be a top team. That's just the way the game is. I'm not saying it's right or fair, but whilst that is the case, then losses have to be allowed.