2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo got a tune out of him. I even went on record as retracting my previous statements.. but I feel like I was too optimistic and thought he had solved his issues. Maybe I’m being too strong with the word useless, but be that as it may…

let me ask: what are his strengths that Carlo was playing to?
Imo it’s using him as an old school No9, crosses into the box for headers and knock downs where’s he’s in the right place at the right time.
Certainly more direct football, which is why I think Dyche might have some joy with him.
AC2CDFA5-877B-47D1-92EC-F4DED9967BA1.jpeg

I think Lampard tried to use him like Kane is used at Spurs and his attributes are nothing like him. The entire way he tried to make us play didn’t suit him imo, coming short and trying to play balls in behind. Nothing wrong with that if your team can do it.

It just becomes boring revisionism. In the 2 seasons before Carlos season (21 goals) he scored 8 and 15.

Prior to that, he was like 20 years old and being played as a wide forward and even as a wingback.
It's certainly revisionism to say that he was useless, but there's some merit to the general point. It does feel a bit like people are talking about peak Calvert Lewin coming back, when the reality is we've only seen that version of him for a fairly limited period and he's now had a litany of injury problems since he was showing that form. I'd love him to get back to his very best but the truth is it's a hell of a long time now since he was at the level and unfortunately it's probably unlikely he's going to reach it again.

Imo it’s using him as an old school No9, crosses into the box for headers and knock downs where’s he’s in the right place at the right time.
Certainly more direct football, which is why I think Dyche might have some joy with him.

I think Lampard tried to use him like Kane is used at Spurs and his attributes are nothing like him. The entire way he tried to make us play didn’t suit him imo, coming short and trying to play balls in behind. Nothing wrong with that if your team can do it.

No that's fair, and that strength I can buy into as a starting striker given what I think his strengths are.. and his weaknesses. If that's how we want to play. Most seem to refer to his speed, athleticism and holding the ball up outside the box (i.e. his work for the team).. but I demand one thing before any other - finishing. If I want an athlete there are many who can run around all day. But I don't get people not requiring the first job description of a striker - can score goals.

I also feel that there are many that can sit up front and tap the ball in. But top 10 teams in the EPL need to have a striker that not only scores tap ins but can create a few for themselves, and hit a couple from distance (or at least be able to). He's for sure EPL quality, if we want to play route 1 then he's the striker for us (in the same way Ferguson could have been). Which makes me say again - if we ever want to compete for anything it can't be with DCL.

It's certainly revisionism to say that he was useless, but there's some merit to the general point. It does feel a bit like people are talking about peak Calvert Lewin coming back, when the reality is we've only seen that version of him for a fairly limited period and he's now had a litany of injury problems since he was showing that form. I'd love him to get back to his very best but the truth is it's a hell of a long time now since he was at the level and unfortunately it's probably unlikely he's going to reach it again.

yeah was rough of me to say useless.. and I don't bash players as a rule. I'm just praying and a bit frustrated that people count the days he comes back like he is auto peak DCL... a very short lived peak that doesn't justify the reliance we putting on his recovery.

yeah was rough of me to say useless.. and I don't bash players as a rule. I'm just praying and a bit frustrated that people count the days he comes back like he is auto peak Dominic Calvert-Lewin... a very short lived peak that doesn't justify the reliance we putting on his recovery.
That's a fair point but it is worth noting though that one of his best games in years was his last game v Arsenal, he was very effective, and not at 100% then either

No such thing as a good injury prone player, sad to say. Doesn't feel right to say, as DCL is clearly good when not injured. But lacking resilience to train and play is like lacking touch, or being slow - it's just a fundamental flaw.

Would love to see him come back strong but the odds are against it - robust players can get a very serious contact injury and return. But DCL's catalog of short / med term ailments usually points one way.

Forget him.

That's the only thing I ever thought was good from that weird get Shankly. The injured players dont matter. Ignore them.

Forget him.

He's an irrelevancy.

We have Simms, Maupay and Gray to put up front.

Focus on them.

Then he'll be in for a game and out for 4 weeks.

Forget about him. I bet Dyche doesn't plan around his appearances.

Forget about him.

I consider him retired, tbh.

Absolute joke this club has players like him and Mina who cant play a game without having 10 weeks off.

Dyche knows he has to field questions about him but you can imagine his mind's wandering off planning his tea of cow pie and chips when he's answering. He knows what a waste of 'kin time the whole charade is.

That would prove nothing much to me.

He played half a dozen games in last season's run in to little effect, then he and has body clocked off again this season.

We need to draw a line through his name and forget him. In this relegation fight he's an unwanted distraction.

In the summer we need to be easing him out the door and getting our new attacking options in.

He doesn't exist as a player.

Supporters need to forget him and get behind who we do have.

And Dyche should not refer to him at all. If he's asked about him he should answer that he only talks of players in contention for places for games.

...and let's face it - he's not all that in any case. If he'd have played today he wouldn't have got on the score sheet.

He barely makes a blind bit of difference to this team. Why people continue to mither themselves with his absence I have no idea.

We'll sink or swim without this feller. Just forget him.

As said: forget about this feller. He doesn't even exist.

We have our first team now and they need no distraction from a ghost haunting the club.

Get to the summer and buy this feller's contract out if we cant get cash for him.

Big D spends an awful lot of time camped in the thread of a player we should all forget about.

I reckon his decline in value has made us balance sheet insolvent.
Joking aside, he won’t have much balance sheet value. Clubs will have have to review these values for all players and impair them (write them down) if future benefits are deemed less than the balance sheet value (can’t revise them upward if a crap player does start performing). Wouldn’t surprise me if he had been written down.

When players first became balance sheet items (before then the entire purchase fee was expensed in the year of acquisition) I sat in a meeting with a PL club’s finance team and famously prickly and cantankerous manager doing exactly this for the whole squad. Manager was NOT pleased to be there and made it very very clear.

Carlo got a tune out of him. I even went on record as retracting my previous statements.. but I feel like I was too optimistic and thought he had solved his issues. Maybe I’m being too strong with the word useless, but be that as it may…

let me ask: what are his strengths that Carlo was playing to?
The six yard box

View attachment 207261

Nah Lamps was definitely dreaming of Drogba ( Obviously missing all the major factors in that crazy ideoligy. But that is lamps for you....

Status
Not open for further replies.