2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
His Brighton numbers still weren’t very good.
They'd have been fine though wouldn't they? I mean say he had another 5 goals this season we'd likely be 6-8 points better off, and so comfortably out of trouble. That would have been absolutely fine for a squad player who we paid that sort of money for. As it is, he's just completely tanked. It's bizarre, and I don't really understand why it's gone as badly as it has, but it's probably best for all parties if he moves on ASAP.

His Brighton numbers still weren’t very good.

Unfortunately it is very rare to buy 20 goal a season players for that kind of money. He was never bought to be our out and out striker, more like Naismith. He comes on as a sub or gets the occasional game and if he could have hit 4-6 goals and maybe had a blip and got 9-10 one season then that would be a meaningful contribution.

Not earth shattering as you say but in our position acceptable.

They'd have been fine though wouldn't they? I mean say he had another 5 goals this season we'd likely be 6-8 points better off, and so comfortably out of trouble. That would have been absolutely fine for a squad player who we paid that sort of money for. As it is, he's just completely tanked. It's bizarre, and I don't really understand why it's gone as badly as it has, but it's probably best for all parties if he moves on ASAP.

He`s the new John Spencer.

A player, that didn`t fit into the way Frank wanted the team to play and certainly doesn`t fit into the way Dyche wants the team to play.

As a result,he`s becoming more and more marginalised in the squad.

A truly baffling signing all things considered.

Especially when we needed a forward, to come in, who would hit the ground running, even if it was a someone who was coming to the end of their career.

He`s the new John Spencer.

A player, that didn`t fit into the way Frank wanted the team to play and certainly doesn`t fit into the way Dyche wants the team to play.

As a result,he`s becoming more and more marginalised in the squad.

A truly baffling signing all things considered.

Especially when we needed a forward, to come in, who would hit the ground running, even if it was a someone who was coming to the end of their career.
To be fair, I think he did fit with the way Lampard wanted to play. I think in is head Lampard wanted to have a team that passed it out from the back, kept it on the deck, had intelligent movement etc. Unfortunately what he wanted to do and what he was capable of doing were very different. I think the signing of Maupay made reasonable sense in theory, he was a steady hardworking PL striker with a half decent scoring record, who was available for a decent fee and had a different profile to Calvert Lewin, who they clearly expected to be the main striker. It hasn't worked in the slightest, but I'd be lying if I said I thought this is how it would pan out when we signed him.

Unfortunately it is very rare to buy 20 goal a season players for that kind of money. He was never bought to be our out and out striker, more like Naismith. He comes on as a sub or gets the occasional game and if he could have hit 4-6 goals and maybe had a blip and got 9-10 one season then that would be a meaningful contribution.

Not earth shattering as you say but in our position acceptable.
I made a joke when it was rumored that we were signing him that "Maupay" in english means "Naismith," but apparently that was wildly optimistic. Turns out it means "Enner Valencia."

Who would come last in a 100 yard sprint between Tom Davies, Maupay and Dwight?

I ask this because Reese James really made Dwight look so like a carthorse that it was embarassing.

It's obvious why he has tanked, we brought him in and played him in the DCL role when he is the complete opposite of him as a player. He is a player who needs his team to be creating chances to score (as obvious as that sounds!).

I don't think he is great or anything, or even particularly good but the problem probably lies more with us (as in the club/team) as it does with him.

It's obvious why he has tanked, we brought him in and played him in the Dominic Calvert-Lewin role when he is the complete opposite of him as a player. He is a player who needs his team to be creating chances to score (as obvious as that sounds!).

I don't think he is great or anything, or even particularly good but the problem probably lies more with us (as in the club/team) as it does with him.
I've said the same myself earlier in the season but I don't think it really does explain it at this point. It explains why we haven't seen the best of him, but it doesn't explain why he's completely tanked. I mean he's found himself behind Demarai Gray now, who isn't exactly a clone of Calvert Lewin, so it's a bit more than that.

I've said the same myself earlier in the season but I don't think it really does explain it at this point. It explains why we haven't seen the best of him, but it doesn't explain why he's completely tanked. I mean he's found himself behind Demarai Gray now, who isn't exactly a clone of Calvert Lewin, so it's a bit more than that.
The DCL thing was more under Lampard. We switched the two players and yet changed absolutely nothing in how we approached the game which was madness when you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.