2022/23 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against Forest he came on, received a short pass and tried to move forward with the ball, but his touch was so heavy and he was so slow that he instantly lost the ball, which looked the more difficult thing to do.

The missed free header the game before IIRC.

The misplaced passes, crap positioning... etc., you get my point. Small things but they stack up cuz he's not done much of the good things inbetween.

The thing is - under Carlo he looked like he'd found good form and did well in ball retention and shorter passing, but currently he's absolutely lost.

There's a (very, very physically slow) football player in there though.

Well that’s not calamitous is it lol he’s got one error leading to a shot and no errors leading to a goal A.K.A. what I’d deem calamitous. He just wants to impress in his limited cameos and sometimes that makes players try too much.

He’s obviously not brilliant but playing as a 6 keeping things simple and the game moving I think he’s decent for us.

Well that’s not calamitous is it lol he’s got one error leading to a shot and no errors leading to a goal A.K.A. what I’d deem calamitous. He just wants to impress in his limited cameos and sometimes that makes players try too much.

He’s obviously not brilliant but playing as a 6 keeping things simple and the game moving I think he’s decent for us.
I mean I did exaggerate a TINY bit lol , but as much as he's done nothing wrong - he's done nothing right either. I get wanting to impress, but he's failing at some of the simplest things - miscontrols, can't head/shoot, poor (currently?) range of passing; what's the evidence to give him a go like?

He's not the reason we're in this mess but he's also not the player to take us out of it, basically. Or, you know, make a positive difference by the look of things, sadly.

He was good in the low block and the "keep it simple, stupid" short passing role he had with Ancelotti, but then again - it's extremely limited as a role, and we're not in a position to have someone with these limitations who offers nothing else. Carlo had JameZ for people to give it to, Tom currently has, er... well, yeah.

He's not calamitous but he's hardly been good

Barely passable most of the time

I don't think he's trying too hard and making errors, I just think he is what he is at this stage, and it's best for both parties to part ways

I mean I did exaggerate a TINY bit lol , but as much as he's done nothing wrong - he's done nothing right either. I get wanting to impress, but he's failing at some of the simplest things - miscontrols, can't head/shoot, poor (currently?) range of passing; what's the evidence to give him a go like?

He's not the reason we're in this mess but he's also not the player to take us out of it, basically. Or, you know, make a positive difference by the look of things, sadly.

He was good in the low block and the "keep it simple, stupid" short passing role he had with Ancelotti, but then again - it's extremely limited as a role, and we're not in a position to have someone with these limitations who offers nothing else. Carlo had JameZ for people to give it to, Tom currently has, er... well, yeah.

I mean, you do realise he leaves the club in a few months lol although I think they’ll offer him a new deal.

I mean, you do realise he leaves the club in a few months lol although I think they’ll offer him a new deal.
I do, and there's a reason for the delay in the contract - if we're in the Prem we can definitely do better (assuming scouting, which as we've discussed before - doesn't exist at Everton lol ). Championship standard would do him good though.

Can see his redemption arc of going to the Championship to be a regular and then back in the Prem in a year with someone. Hopefully his Championship season isn't with us, also lol

Hell only stay if we go down, not good enough for this league.

He was saying the other week he wants to play as well, never going to happen if we're in this league.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to rangers and be alrite in that league.

Reactions: SJB
Seeing the defence of Tom Davies in here.

He's a really, really below-par footballer. He doesn't work hard (unless his full speed is just really slow). He doesn't control the ball well, he doesnt pass well. He doesn't really offer anything other than comitting fouls and getting a standard yellow. He's probably very low on confidence at the moment as well which wont be helping - sitting on that Bournemouth miss in his mind I'd imagine, because that was a whopper.

He's not the only limited footballer we have, we have a few, but at least they have some strengths about them. Doucoure while not very good technically, can get around the pitch and battle. Coleman, while he can't cross a ball, his energy despite his age and fight in right back has been astounding. Michael Keane despite lacking pace seems to find his way well when in a structured, narrow defence. Even McNeill who has absolutely zero pace, one foot, can still strike and cross a ball.

It would be foolish to offer any sort of extension regardless of the league we are in next year. There is nothing in which you can go, well okay Tom is limited as a footballer but he is good at x, y or z.

On the complete flip side of that.

Every manager we've had since Davies made his promising introduction 6/7 years ago, has used him in some capacity. Whether he stands out in training and just can't translate it into a match, who knows. All these managers have much more knowledge and experience than any of us do, and they still involve him.

I just think they will. Local settled lad, HG player, low wages, we need a squad so think he'll be seen as an easy option to keep. Think people don't realise just how thin the squad will go come June.
Perfect opportunity for a complete reset really though isn't it? I get that it may seem thin but we really need change.

Meh

I don't personally dislike Davies, but fair is fair, he hasn't been great when he's had a chance to play this season

Wasn't awful on Saturday (Maupay was worse) but he didn't light it up either

I think it's more than reasonable at this stage to say that Garner should be getting these minutes over him, at least in the short term

Davies has had his chances and hasn't staked a claim

Garner hasn't really had his chances by comparison

Go with the fresher option
I think the theory is that Davies is more use defensively than Garner who is more of a ball player.

In theory anyway...

Yes and no. Logically, yes but in reality do you think we'll do that?
Oh I absolutely trust Everton to do the wrong thing.

Another problem, less Tom Davies related but Dyche buys a certain type of player and it's just whether he rates Davies or not. As I said in my long post, all the managers seem to want to give him minutes.

Seeing the defence of Tom Davies in here.

He's a really, really below-par footballer. He doesn't work hard (unless his full speed is just really slow). He doesn't control the ball well, he doesnt pass well. He doesn't really offer anything other than comitting fouls and getting a standard yellow. He's probably very low on confidence at the moment as well which wont be helping - sitting on that Bournemouth miss in his mind I'd imagine, because that was a whopper.

He's not the only limited footballer we have, we have a few, but at least they have some strengths about them. Doucoure while not very good technically, can get around the pitch and battle. Coleman, while he can't cross a ball, his energy despite his age and fight in right back has been astounding. Michael Keane despite lacking pace seems to find his way well when in a structured, narrow defence. Even McNeill who has absolutely zero pace, one foot, can still strike and cross a ball.

It would be foolish to offer any sort of extension regardless of the league we are in next year. There is nothing in which you can go, well okay Tom is limited as a footballer but he is good at x, y or z.

On the complete flip side of that.

Every manager we've had since Davies made his promising introduction 6/7 years ago, has used him in some capacity. Whether he stands out in training and just can't translate it into a match, who knows. All these managers have much more knowledge and experience than any of us do, and they still involve him.

Agree with all that but I’d say with regard to the bottom bit - I’m very confident I know more about Tom Davies’ limitations than Dyche having watched him a lot more. Although I don’t think Dyche has any trust in him either, he’s just fresh legs in a thin squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.