January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes a cross like that one you've mentioned is great and one from the touchline I think we should be desperately avoiding. But this is why I talk about management all the time. I just don't think even reasonable upgrades are going to make the difference people are hoping for because they'll still be picking the ball up 70 yards from goal.
Ones from the touchline are only effective if you've got a quality player delivering them, agreed. We did in 20-21, not now. But it's percentages and we don't get deep often enough. That's on the totally ineffective full-backs, too.

Ultimately we do need better players though. The new guy - Lampard deserves to go - would need those too, they just have to have them in mate.

McNeil, Gordon, Gray - that's a terrible, terrible wide bunch, Gray the best of it but decision-making lets him down. Needs game simplifying which is why counter-attacking suits him, space to run into.

Iwobi - good when he's full of confidence, but erratic with his decisions.

Dom, Maupay - in isolation a good option and an okay option in the right system respectively. But Dom can't stay fit and Maupay playing means an entire change in system, so no consistency.

He's also consistently playing for the first time ever. He'd get double digits G+A in a real system.
Played over 100 games for Leicester. Played 30
League games the year after they won the title and got 1 goal, played 35 games the next season and got 3 goals. Shows how far we’ve fallen fans pinning our hopes on gray. Hasn’t got an assist from open play in well over a year. And 3 goals, 1 a pen 1 a worldie.

Yes has pace and a few tricks and get go past players on the counter when he has grass to run into. In and around the box, he’s no better than Stuart Barlow

Ones from the touchline are only effective if you've got a quality player delivering them, agreed. We did in 20-21, not now. But it's percentages and we don't get deep often enough. That's on the totally ineffective full-backs, too.

Ultimately we do need better players though. The new guy - Lampard deserves to go - would need those too, they just have to have them in mate.

McNeil, Gordon, Gray - that's a terrible, terrible wide bunch, Gray the best of it but decision-making lets him down. Needs game simplifying which is why counter-attacking suits him, space to run into.

Iwobi - good when he's full of confidence, but erratic with his decisions.

Dom, Maupay - in isolation a good option and an okay option in the right system respectively. But Dom can't stay fit and Maupay playing means an entire change in system, so no consistency.
Iwobi isn't about confidence it's about how far he is on average from the right touchline. It's crazy how this still alludes people.

I put some of the fullbacks on the system. I don't really think Mykolenko is just choosing to underlap pointlessly all the time.

Iwobi isn't about confidence it's about how far he is on average from the right touchline. It's crazy how this still alludes people.

I put some of the fullbacks on the system. I don't really think Mykolenko is just choosing to underlap pointlessly all the time.
He has still previously been crap when he played left side and central too, it's mad how that alludes you.

Serious question, do you in your heart of hearts think Everton's attacking unit, considering none of the midfielders score goals, is that of a midtable team? I'm not just talking about on paper here, either, because DCL hasn't been able to stay fit for going on two years now and that's a huge part of the troubles.

This is all I'm saying. That it's of the standard you'd expect from a relegation candidate. That's not to say we should go down or Lampard isn't underperforming.

You do realise how utterly insane this sentence is, right?

I mean you have played football, you surely know there is VERY little difference about which side of the pitch you play in midfield, right?

He has still previously been crap when he played left side and central too, it's mad how that alludes you.

Serious question, do you in your heart of hearts think Everton's attacking unit, considering none of the midfielders score goals, is that of a midtable team? I'm not just talking about on paper here, either, because Dominic Calvert-Lewin hasn't been able to stay fit for going on two years now and that's a huge part of the troubles.

This is all I'm saying. That it's of the standard you'd expect from a relegation candidate. That's not to say we should go down or Lampard isn't underperforming.
I've said several times today I think they're good enough to finish a comfortable 15th.

God help us if we didn't 'react' to facing relegation.

Shame we're not in a position to spend a fortune on a player in their prime isn't it?

Or in a position to take a gamble on a Moise Kean or Cenk Tosun.

Ings made 30 league appearances last season, and 17 so far this season.

You can sign someone who has never been injured like James Garner and see them get crocked.

If not Ings, sound. Give another name who we can sign, is realistic and would be a better fit?

*waits for Ben Brereton shouts.

Zaha out of contract in a few months.

Abraham loan with a obligation to buy using the Kean money.

Those two make the safest centre forward targets.

I get football hipsters will want the profile of a Scamacca/Haller - but we're in a position were we can't take those chances.

There's no adjustment period whatsoever.

There was sense with those two...Scamacca will likely come good next season.

Some of these players in France look like they have something about them...very hard to know what they'd offer in this situation.

He's also consistently playing for the first time ever. He'd get double digits G+A in a real system.

Demarai Gray...i literally said he'd make sense if he got that 10+ goals/assists.

52 league games = 8 goals for Everton

That, is absolutely nowhere near enough.

I think both are equally important.

What I will say though is Lampard's teams have always been good build up sides (until this version we've seen from November onwards of us, I will stress, with that mad 4-3-3 structure that's more like 4-1-2-2-1), and he's then relied more on individual moments from his players in the final third to show their quality, rather than clearly defined moves and patterns of play.

It worked at Derby as he had Mount who was levels above in that league. It worked in his first season at Chelsea to an extent, too, especially when he got Pulisic firing (though he then moved Pulisic to a different position after an injury and it stopped ). It didn't click in his second season there as it was a load of new attackers and frankly they bought too many who played the same kind of roles.

However with this Everton squad you definitely need more clearly defined patterns of play and ways to attack to get to goal - I agree there, and that's on him. On the flip side, if we had some better players, we'd probably also see more quality moments in the final third, wouldn't we. We saw it to an extent at times even last season with Richy.

So IMO we need both.

The stats are grim reading. Over our last 10 league games we've put in 170 crosses. 17 crosses a game isn't bad. Yet only 38 have reached an Everton player, an average of 3.8 per game. That's the standard we're dealing with when it comes to consistency in delivery, and it's the same with passes etc.

He needs time to build with Thelwell.

But weve definitely lacked a target man type with DCL injured.

In a 352 he'd be ideal next to Dominic Calvert-Lewin but doesn't solve issue of creativity.

But if it's true then I have no issue with it. Pace, a goal threat, runs at defenders etc

Danjuma is a player I have actually seen play. He would walk into our team, doesn’t say much like but he is a direct threat, I hope we can get it done.

Is he actually that good?

Remember he was being highly rated...then in the Premier league he flopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.