January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we signed Ings before the season, we'd be a few places higher in the league.

We've got to be pragmatic - we're favourites for relegation.

We're down if we're relying on Calvert-Lewin's fitness/form.

We need a striker who can score in this league, who is willing and available. There isn't many.

It's not ideal, but either is relegation.

It's all about staying in the league.
I might be wrong but didn't you make similar comments about Maupay?

Please just a single offensive player who is either fast or Knows how to do a stepover without breaking his leg. In prem a player like this costs 30mil atleast. I think we have to search in leagues like for example ligue 1 like dango or maybe even in argentina, brasil, belgium. Players from there would be happy to play in the premier league and would play with motivation and passion because they have something to prove

but juve and besiktas wanted to send them back to us and couldnt which was surely good work by whoever done them deals?
we are still to see any of the guaranteed sale price for Kean yet and Alli is not a done saga yet! But yes if those deals are watertight then it shows an improvement in our dealings, i am not yet convinced! The Alli deal all told is a complete mess.

Nah he's slightly better

But I do think we should have kept King as well

I think we're in a real sticky situation.

Lampard would need to stick to 532 but are our wingbacks dynamic enough to provide support in the final third.

If Dom gets injured again (quite likely) it would be Ings and Gray as I struggle to see Maupay being the one to link up well with Ings.

Can't see Ings being up front of his own with our talented attackers.

That's why Dwight McNeill made no sense either. He had 1 assist for Burnley before we signed him. That's taking into account he was their set piece taker as well.

We need an attacking midfielder and winger, probably more urgently than another striker. Strikers (who we could get) don't score unless they have team mates creating chances for them.
Terrible as McNeil has been the signing did make sense if as at Burnley he played wide left and got in crosses for a centre forward.
What didn't make sense given Calvert Lewin s injury record was signing Maupay instead of a proper centre forward.
That said Mc Neill has been absolutely awful.

We need a striker who can score in this league, who is willing and available. There isn't many.

Teemu Pukki? 6 months left on his deal and Norwich have just appointed a new manager, might be looking to generate a transfer fund

Lucas Joao also available with 6 months left on his deal, Readings season basically over with them midtable and definitely got the physicality to succeed in the Prem - bit more of a risk though

It's risk reward I suppose, and that depends on the position of our finances right at this moment, and none of us know for sure how bad it is.

Sure Ings could come in and get 6 or 7 goals and we come 16th or 17th. But what if we sign him for say £20m, on a very big wage, then we go down, or he gets another injury.

It's a very tricky one for me. I would much prefer to be looking in the loan market for older forwards than shelling out another £20m or whatever Villa would ask. It might all be irrelevant though because we maybe don't have £15 or £20m (I don't know how much he would cost, I'm only guessing).

Can look at hypotheticals all day long, but if we don't sign a goalscorer/don't add goals to this team - we go down. What does that do to future planning/finances?

We can also apply this to nuclear knees Ings though.

I think we're in a real sticky situation.

Lampard would need to stick to 532 but are our wingbacks dynamic enough to provide support in the final third.

If Dom gets injured again (quite likely) it would be Ings and Gray as I struggle to see Maupay being the one to link up well with Ings.

Can't see Ings being up front of his own with our talented attackers.
Ings and Gray in that 532 could be effective. Dom has been mostly invisible since he came back anyway. It would have to be Ings plus another midfielder who is capable of bringing the ball forward, though, as Iwobi is hurt and was showing some concerning fade before then. If we pay a big transfer fee for Ings, I think the chance we add someone else is remote.

It's throwing mud at the wall and hoping it sticks. Exactly what we have done for years. There's no proper youth development in place. There's no proper strategy being implemented. It's reactive like it always has been

God help us if we didn't 'react' to facing relegation.

We can also apply this to nuclear knees Ings though.

Shame we're not in a position to spend a fortune on a player in their prime isn't it?

Or in a position to take a gamble on a Moise Kean or Cenk Tosun.

Ings made 30 league appearances last season, and 17 so far this season.

You can sign someone who has never been injured like James Garner and see them get crocked.

If not Ings, sound. Give another name who we can sign, is realistic and would be a better fit?

*waits for Ben Brereton shouts.

Ings and Gray in that 532 could be effective. Dom has been mostly invisible since he came back anyway. It would have to be Ings plus another midfielder who is capable of bringing the ball forward, though, as Iwobi is hurt and was showing some concerning fade before then. If we pay a big transfer fee for Ings, I think the chance we add someone else is remote.

Gray has no end product.

His career stats broken down by games played, goals scored, assists;
327 - 37 - 31

Demari Gray is roughly a 1 in 10 attacker. He is 26, he isn't suddenly becoming more effective or efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.