January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you saying it isn't bad as in we should be aiming to cross a lot? I disagree on that premise.

I mean if we crosses more as part of just generally attacking more cool, but to me a lot of the issue is we have no way of actually playing in the middle of the field. Teams shepherd us wide, deal with the cross, repeat.

We need to deliver better quality with our crosses but earlier in the season we averaged fewer crosses per game and if you've got DCL in the team then you have to be delivering for him. To me that means deliveries like we saw Gray put in for him v Utd. Flat, pacey and to the six-yard box. That's how DCL is effective, not in 1v1s.

We do struggle through the middle of the pitch especially in the 4-3-3 with the midfielders all running away from each other. But when we get it to the final third there's too much reliance on individual skill/ideas and our players simply don't have it in their locker on a consistent basis. This is true for absolutely all of them.

So IMO we need better patterns of play there, better ideas of how to get to goal and what our striker's strengths are. Even if it's Maupay we should be getting to the byline and cutting it back low for him, so that doesn't change in that sense from DCL. But with Maupay you can't go direct because he just can't hold it up well enough.

We need to deliver better quality with our crosses but earlier in the season we averaged fewer crosses per game and if you've got Dominic Calvert-Lewin in the team then you have to be delivering for him. To me that means deliveries like we saw Gray put in for him v Utd. Flat, pacey and to the six-yard box. That's how Dominic Calvert-Lewin is effective, not in 1v1s.

We do struggle through the middle of the pitch especially in the 4-3-3 with the midfielders all running away from each other. But when we get it to the final third there's too much reliance on individual skill/ideas and our players simply don't have it in their locker on a consistent basis. This is true for absolutely all of them.

So IMO we need better patterns of play there, better ideas of how to get to goal and what our striker's strengths are. Even if it's Maupay we should be getting to the byline and cutting it back low for him, so that doesn't change in that sense from Dominic Calvert-Lewin. But with Maupay you can't go direct because he just can't hold it up well enough.
Well yes a cross like that one you've mentioned is great and one from the touchline I think we should be desperately avoiding. But this is why I talk about management all the time. I just don't think even reasonable upgrades are going to make the difference people are hoping for because they'll still be picking the ball up 70 yards from goal.

Danjuma is a player I have actually seen play. He would walk into our team, doesn’t say much like but he is a direct threat, I hope we can get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.