Your First Time at Goodison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 December 1971.

Everton 0 - 0 Stoke

Went with my Dad and brother. We sat in the main stand (top balcony) and couldn't believe how high up I was. It seemed like I was sitting in the clouds.

Gordon Banks was in goal for Stoke and we had Kendall, Harvey, Ball and Royle.

27 August 1988, Tony Cottee's debut against Newcastle and he scored a hat trick. Newcastle also had some Brazilian called Mirandinho or something similar who was also making his debut for them and got sent off if i remember correctly

23 April 1994, at home to Coventry City. Will never forget my first sight of Goodison Park looming in the distance, while walking through Stanley Park. Had my B&B at Tina's Guest House on Anfield Road, right across Shankly Gates. Luckily I was able to switch my room to the back, where I could just about see Goodison Park.

Goosebumps all over the place when entering the holy ground for the first time. Love on first sight between me and the grand old lady. No other stadium in the world could ever do the same to me.

Atmosphere wasn't that great though. Everton were heavily embroiled in a relegation dogfight and confidence on an all time low. Match ended 0-0 and next match was at Elland Road. Went there also. With a bit more luck in planning my trip, I would've been at Goodison for that famous escape against Wimbledon.

1972 0-0 home to Arsenal. The stadium seemed awe inspiringly massive. I remember there were a few hail storms during the game and Gordon West was diving all over the show. Lots of fag smoke and I could barely see over the wall in the enclosure. Always thought the boys pen looked like a prison, I'll bet Kenwright used to charge for entry.

From what I can remember mine was an early 90's win with Stuart McCall scoring the goal in a 1-0 vs Coventry. I remember thinking this is cold and I can't play.

I do remember the noise though. I'd never heard anything like that as a little boy. I also remember thinking to myself "my dad knows loads of swear words, wait til I tell me nan"

My dad reckons I was there when we won the league in 87. He's a bit of a tom pepper though.

Everton 1-0 Bolton 2006

Sat in the gwladys street with my Dad and Arteta scored that left footed screamer. Remember me dad moaning a lot because the fella behind him kept hitting his head with his flag.

I've never been there yet. :( Or does a Google Maps walk around the stadium count?

I live in Hungary, so I don't go to the UK too often, though my sister moved to Swindon a few years ago, the next time I visit her I'll surely do the pilgrimage and get to Goodison somehow. ANYHOW...

Last edited:
Everton 1-0 Bolton 2006

Sat in the gwladys street with my Dad and Arteta scored that left footed screamer. Remember me dad moaning a lot because the fella behind him kept hitting his head with his flag.
In honour of one of our American Broski's making the pilgrimage this weekend I thought I'd throw this one out. Hopefully he'll come back and answer after the game.

Can you remember the game?

Who took you?

Can you remember what it felt like?

What's the best part of the match day experience for you?
1962, Derby game drew 2-2, denied a last minute goal by ref,Im sure it was Clattenburgs grandson,some things never change

Everton 0-1 Spurs, Spring 2006. Got it as a gift from my father.
Boring game, Spurs' goal was a penalty kick and they were the better team.

Went on the Goodison tour on the day before the game though, that was boss.

Luton Town in the cup in 2006 when I was 12. I went with my mate from school and sat in the Lower Gwladys, was hooked from then in even if Arsenal did knock us out in the next round.

My first time at Goodison Park - 16 April 2001, unfortunately Everton lost 2-3 to RS that day.

I bought the tickets with my friends from the locals outside Goodison. I had to sit with the RS fans in the away section. However, I will never forget that day because Goodison is a very, very special place. I do not know how to explain in words but I felt like I had visited there before.

And I think Paul Gerrard is the worst goalkeeper I have seen in an Everton shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.