Your First Time at Goodison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheff Wed at home boxing day 1992,
my dad,
yes it was horrible we were gash and carlton palmer managed to score a header from outside the box. I can't overstate how gash we were.
The pre-match anticipation and seeing the Old Lady in all her glory. The match itself was a massive letdown

Haha, I remember that. I was about 8 at the time. Even then I knew big donkeys scoring outlandish goals past us was the Everton way.

August 1971, beat Chelsea 2-0, Colin Harvey got both.

Chips, Everton mints, seat in the Upper Bullens, night match, my Dad took me and I remember him telling me to stamp my feet as hard as I could when we scored. (No wonder GP is falling to bits now.)

Happy days.

Everton v Blackpool in 1955 it was a friendly game under lights, at that time the FA only allowed friendly games under lights, it was a year or two later when competitive matches were allowed.

I don't remember much about the game only being overawed by the size of the crowd, and how green the pitch looked under the lights.

Stanley Matthews was playing for Blackpool that night but I remember him more playing at Goodison in 1963 for Stoke City, the day after President Kennedy was killed.

Everton 1 - 0 Liverpool, 04/05, Lee Carsley. Last minute tickets with my dad, sat in row ZZ or something in lower gwladys, could see about 10% of the pitch between the head of the bloke in front of me (I was only 16 like) and the bottom of the upper gwladys. Still awesome when Carsley's went in, remember that pileup with Cahill on the top like it was yesterday. Boss day

1968 or 69. Arsenal. 0-0

Just remember it being massive, everyone seemed to smoke, and the stairs up to the seats seemed to take forever.

Remember hardly anything about the game. Think we had one disallowed.

Newcastle home October 1977. Game ended in a 4-4 draw.

Went with me arl feller and my brother. Sat in the Upper Bullens, never forget climbing the stairs and looking out onto the pitch for the first time.

Once Everton touches you...

In honour of one of our American Broski's making the pilgrimage this weekend I thought I'd throw this one out. Hopefully he'll come back and answer after the game.

Can you remember the game?

Who took you?

Can you remember what it felt like?

What's the best part of the match day experience for you?
Been once. Cup game, we lost 3-0.

Can't remember the year.

March 2009 everton vs stoke was my first match went with my dad as we are from stoke and that was the year they got promoted into the league. 3-1 was the score

March 1964. EFC beat Blackpool 3-1. No idea who scored, but I can remember being in awe of the size of the ground, and Tony Waiters (Goalkeeper for Blackpool) flying through the air making save after save. I think the crowd was around 50,000, but my dad sat me on the crowd barrier in the Park End. The bright blue and tangerine shirts on the pitch made it a very colourful occasion, especially under the tall floodlights

Everton 1 - 1 Coventry, last day 1997/98. Mum and dad took us because the last day of the season ought to be a quiet one...

(Dad was a boyhood blue, so not completely oblivious, just can't have done his maths right, lol)

England vs Italy in the World Cup qualifiers had already prepared my 10yo mind for the concept of a draw being super-exciting, but that had nothing on hearing the Chelsea score filter through, and the tension after their equaliser. The pitch invasion terrified mum, but was absolutely boss from where I was (not on the pitch, alas) - not been at Goodison for another of those until Hibbo's testimonial.

Still love watching the interspersed Everton vs Coventry / Chelsea vs Bolton footage with the Chelsea fans booing their own players for trying to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.