Your First Time at Goodison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
September 8, 1984 beat Coventry 2 - 1 (Steven and Sharp) moved to Canada the very next day, and didn't make it back until 1996 (beat Leeds 2-0 with at the time the best goal I had seen by Kanchelskis)

1991 - we beat Coventry 3-0 and Beardsley got a hattrick (one dodgy penalty). A few weeks later my second game was a 3-1 win over Spurs, Cottee hattrick and Lineker scored a diving header for them. Top Balcony row B with my dad, uncle and cousin. I was convinced we were amazing. Turned out we weren't.

I can't really remember the first game

It was the 50's and had been taken by my Dad

I remember the crowds, the noise, the beautiful pitch and a bag of chips.........

I can't really remember the first game

It was the 50's and had been taken by my Dad

I remember the crowds, the noise, the beautiful pitch and a bag of chips.........

...bit like Pete, I can't remember my first game but I reckon it was 1960. I had a season ticket for many years as a kid in the Upper Gwladys St. Saturdays was normally playing for the school in the morning followed by Goodison. That final set of stairs and first view of the pitch remains magical, get great pleasure now seeing Little Eggs standing and clapping at the first chords of Z Cars. Goosebumps.

March 2005 vs. Blackburn. 0-1 loss. Darren Bent missed a breakaway, and overall a pretty boring game.
It was a late Sunday kickoff, so I had to take the midnight bus back to London, and the 7AM bus from London to Southampton to get to class the next morning.
I got a picture with Tim Cahill before the match and met some very friendly Evertonians at the pub afterwards who took me to some club while I waited for my bus. A great day despite the result!

April 2, 2011 vs. Aston Villa - Sat in the Lower Gwladys and was taken there by our good friends Fran & Jan (Allezlesblues). Remember it being an awesome day, perfect weather, started a day at a pub for a couple pints and I remember Nottingham being on the telly. Was in early watching warm-ups. We went ahead through Beckford I believe. Then Villa scored twice (at least one by Darren Bent - perhaps both) then Jags (!) drew a penalty late on that Baines converted from the spot for a tie. Being from the States the PA announced my wife and I as visiting from Raleigh, NC (Thanks Fran). I remember literally not being able to stop smiling as we approached Goodison and that day will go down as one of my alltime favorites. Even a meat pie and a couple of Chang's couldn't take away the smile. I loved the visit and must say that the atmosphere was incredible and the singing - loved actually being there to participate. I can't wait to come back.

Seen them 3 times in the states live (Philly, DC, and SF) and met some great people from Liverpool that I keep in touch with (Dan, Graeme, and Paul) - plus a buch of folks from the states. Just nothing like being a Blue...

Last edited:
Can't remember the exact match, but pretty sure it was the 80/81 season that me da started taking me - Gordon Lee was defo in charge as I remember reading his piece in the program. Remember seeing players like Peter Eastoe, Trevor Ross, Imre Varadi, Eamon O'Keefe - thought they were phenomenal (being 8, like) but my Dad would just shake his head in despair at how bad things were (relatively speaking).

Status
Not open for further replies.