Your First Time at Goodison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First game I remember was vs Newcastle on the opening day of the season 96. Ferguson didn't score but he was unbelievable!

I don't remember my first but my first positive memory is of beating Arsenal 4-0 in October 1956. I was standing somewhere in the Gwladys, probably the Pen. It was a week after we shocked the world by beating the
pre-Munich Man Utd 5-2 at Old Trafford when they were in their pomp.

I've got a vague memory of us beating Chelsea 1-0 in the Cup in early 1956 - I had to look those dates up - but
I'd been to Goodison Park dozens of times before then when my grandad took me.

I know that we always sat in either the Upper Bullens or the old Upper Park End because I can still picture the
players coming onto the ground. He always had a flask of hot tea laced with whisky which he brought out at half time - and gave me a little sip.

What a magnificent stadium it was, and still is in many ways, even if it is dated.

My last was beating Watford 2-1 in 2006.

Jeff,
I posted earlier about my first trip to Goodison with my father in 1955 to see a game against Blackpool. It's amazing to think back and remember games played in the late fifties and early sixties.

One game against Arsenal in 1958 when we were beaten 6-1 stands out, because over fifty years later I was at Goodison in 2009 when we were beaten by the same score.

I live in Glasgow now and coupled with working abroad means that I don't get down to Liverpool that often, however I was at Goodison two weeks ago when we beat Arsenal, it was a great game and overall a great day to be back in the ground.

Your comment about the stadium is also a good point, in 1966 it was considered one of the finest grounds in the country, good enough to hold the world cup semi final, now it's just considered to be a tired old ground, very sad really.

Home to Manchester United, first game of the season 1999-2000.

Their first game since winning the champions league.

1-1

We were all over them at the end.

Gwladys Street with some mates and my brother.

Scenes.

2012 vs spurs when Jelavic scored the winner in the last minute. Absolute boss atmosphere during the last 20mins.

I was studying on exchange at Lancaster from Australia and went with Uni mates, including a red and Tottenham supporter, to make it all the sweeter!

Can't wait to get back for a second game!

May 6 1995 Everton 0 Southampton 0. My lads first game, he was 7. Best bit of the day? Seeing his face light up when we took our seats. Was my first trip to Goodison as well which was odd as I'd been going to games since October 1966. Now it's the ground I've been to the second most of all. (c70).

Jeff,
I posted earlier about my first trip to Goodison with my father in 1955 to see a game against Blackpool. It's amazing to think back and remember games played in the late fifties and early sixties.

One game against Arsenal in 1958 when we were beaten 6-1 stands out, because over fifty years later I was at Goodison in 2009 when we were beaten by the same score.

I live in Glasgow now and coupled with working abroad means that I don't get down to Liverpool that often, however I was at Goodison two weeks ago when we beat Arsenal, it was a great game and overall a great day to be back in the ground.

Your comment about the stadium is also a good point, in 1966 it was considered one of the finest grounds in the country, good enough to hold the world cup semi final, now it's just considered to be a tired old ground, very sad really.

Yes, well, your memories will be similar to mine. I was at that 6-1 Arsenal thumping, too. You don't forget days like that, do you?

I live in Melbourne and have done for a very long time. Everton is still my passion, though, and I've been able to get back to Goodison from time to time.

I've got to say, though, that I was surprised at that bit in your post about watching us play a friendly against Blackpool under lights in 1955. My memory of the first game under lights was a friendly, of sorts against Liverpool in 1957 - is there such a thing? It was to mark an anniversary of something or other, but really it was just an excuse to play a derby and we beat them 2-0 in front of a massive crowd. I think Eddie Thomas scored both of them.

I do remember us playing and beating Blackpool over Easter with Stan Matthews in their team, though. I seem to remember being a bit disappointed in him because he hardly had a kick. Memories, eh?

my first was in 97 v leeds.was living in bristol at dtime. guy I worked wit was a leeds fan n he brought me n 3 other toffees up on d leeds fans bus. great banter all d way up. sat in upper bullens. best bit was when big dunc headed d second goal n goodison went mental. won 2-0 that day. was a long n quiet bus ride all d way bac 2 bristol though!! ran in2 nearest pub 2 watch motd. crackin day.

98/99 Everton 1 - 1 Leicester

Mickael Madar scored very early on. Can't remember much else about the game apart from booing Tony Cottee, I was 9.

I went with my dad's mate and his lad who were season ticket holders. Think it was in the lower Gwladys.

What I remember the most was the buzz before the game, it was electric. Can't wait to start going again next season.

going to have to go up to goodison park next season. haven't been since my dad has become so poor to not drive me up.

just all very expensive when you include travel.

Does anyone know about the house beside Blue Dragon takeaway on Goodsion road? Its the second white one straight across from 'Vamos Everton' wall mural?

Been past here a few times maybe half hour or hour after the game and sometimes see some famous figure coming in or going out, seen Howard Kendall heading in on Sunday & a few more older players over the last few months?

Is there a secret clubhouse for ex-blues lurking or does everyone know of this place?

Mine was the typical Everton experience

My Dad took me when i was too young to remember how old i was, it must have been around 1980ish

Home game against Brighton, effing freezing it was, in the lower Street end, so cold, sitting on the crash barrier arse numb

Praying for something exciting to happen or my Arl fella to put his hand in his tight pocket and maybe by me a Bovril or something to stop my blood from icing up

The game was even worse but i did manage to see an Everton goal in the Street End, pity it was an own goal by John Bailey, bullet header from a corner 0-1

Best part of it was going home

Status
Not open for further replies.